How much of a crime would this be?
May 15, 2004 at 7:46 AM Post #2 of 15
IMO, 20-life. Fall upon the court to go easy on you and you might get a reduced sentence.

Do you plan on getting a better source any time soon? If not, why not spend the money a little more wisely and get a new source thrown in with the rest so that it's not so out of balance.

May 15, 2004 at 7:49 AM Post #3 of 15
I do plan on getting a new source soon, but I'm new to this stuff and thats what I have right now so I'm trying to get an idea of just how BAD it would be.
tongue.gif

May 15, 2004 at 7:56 AM Post #4 of 15
It has the potential to sound bad. IT will only sound as good as the signal coming into the amp, so don't expect a mircale to come out of your cans just by adding a good amp with them.

May 15, 2004 at 10:39 AM Post #7 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sun
HD650 + PPX3 on an Audigy 2 ZS.

Well, for when do you want your stoning to be scheduled?
biggrin.gif
No, really, the Audigy models all comparatively suck with redbook (16b/44.1kHz) playback - so it's a bit like as if you were getting a Ferrari while only having gravel roads to drive it on... I think, you should at least get an additional Envy24-based soundcard to get some taste of the amp and phone quality...

Greetings from Hannover!

Manfred / lini

May 15, 2004 at 10:45 AM Post #8 of 15
Do you already have the HD 650 and the PPX?

May 16, 2004 at 1:49 AM Post #9 of 15
I actually upgraded my cans and headphone amp before my sources, and I was VERY HAPPY until I eventually upgraded my sources. For awhile I was listening to an Audigy computer card and an iRiver SlimX 350 CDP through a PPA and Grado SR225's. The Audigy and the SlimX never sounded so good! After a while, by listening to lots of different recordings, my ears got the message that my sources were the weak links and I stepped up to the sources in my sig - all low cost "Sweet Spots" offering better system performance improvements than might be predicted based on the component costs.

I actually found that better cans and amp enabled me to enjoy my low end sources more than ever until I was able to upgrade them. I would strongly suspect that would be true of such musical cans and amp as the HD650 and the PPX3, but Your Ears And Mileage May Vary.

BTW, if you're going to put that much into a PPX3 and HD650, be sure that you're using at least decent (for me, translate Headphile) interconnects throughout your audio path to safeguard your cans/amp investment.

May 16, 2004 at 1:55 AM Post #10 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Demolition
What kind of source are you getting? Another computer soundcard? If so, then you might investigate an E-MU 1212. A few Head-Fiers are using this card and it provides a pretty sizeable bang for the buck.

Just FYI.

D.

Bang for the buck at 200.00 Jesus.....then my "dumb" blaster life really really sucks....

May 16, 2004 at 1:58 AM Post #11 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by lini
Well, for when do you want your stoning to be scheduled?
biggrin.gif

You could be better beheaded for that here...LOL...that is a serious crime....

May 16, 2004 at 3:05 AM Post #12 of 15
LOL Well.. a soundcard as source would be most convenient but I get the impression these are considered to be pretty crappy, based on what I've been reading around here. I'm going to do some more research before I decide on type of source. The PPX3 and 650s are on their way here though, so I'll be listening to this oddly proportioned rig pretty soon.

May 16, 2004 at 6:25 AM Post #13 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sun
LOL Well.. a soundcard as source would be most convenient but I get the impression these are considered to be pretty crappy, based on what I've been reading around here. I'm going to do some more research before I decide on type of source. The PPX3 and 650s are on their way here though, so I'll be listening to this oddly proportioned rig pretty soon.

Have a listen for yourself before you start believing those that believe something to be crappy who have never heard one before. Since you are not afraid of sound cards, take the plunge. Try some higher end ones. In the end, even if you don't like them, it is a very minimal amount of money spent compared to buying a higer end CDPlayer and not liking it.

Although, the Audigy is not really good for music.

-Ed

May 16, 2004 at 6:39 AM Post #14 of 15
I used the HD600s with an old headroom airhead and a PCDP.

As long as you like the sound of the combo and realise that the HD650s are a $5000 headphone in $350 headphone clothing, its all good.

Cheers,
Geek

May 16, 2004 at 6:43 AM Post #15 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Geek
I used the HD600s with an old headroom airhead and a PCDP.

As long as you like the sound of the combo and realise that the HD650s are a $5000 headphone in $350 headphone clothing, its all good.

Cheers,
Geek

Who makes $5000 headphones?
confused.gif

(Orpheus doesn't count).

-Ed

Users who are viewing this thread

Back