How much "obsolete" technology do you use?
Dec 18, 2009 at 9:16 PM Post #77 of 104
Quote:

How much "obsolete" technology do you use?

If it's obsolete.....then how can it have a use?
confused.gif

I guess you're referring to superceded technology, or yesteryear's technology?

I guess too, that would mean everyone can now disclose that their pull-cord operated Mork and Mindys' are still in use at home in the privacy of the bedroom
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 18, 2009 at 9:26 PM Post #79 of 104
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zarathustra19 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
DE razor + all associated accoutrement
Vinyl records
Fountain Pen + parchment paper
Books
Mechanical Watch (Not a good one, but still)

boy do I love my fountain pen tis a shame that I have to use it on the crummy paper that the school provides us to use.

Dec 19, 2009 at 3:47 PM Post #80 of 104
Quote:

Originally Posted by ricksome /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I still use a Torah. I know that no religious comments are allowed. So hopefully you no what it is and that it is over 5000 years old.

That's not technology, per se, but if written by Moses [note to Mods: I'm only bringing this up as a literary/historical question, so back off, pls.] it is only about 3500 years old. Written about 1500 BCE, correct? I know that guesstimates for the date of Moses' life vary some.

Dec 19, 2009 at 8:45 PM Post #81 of 104
Let's see:

Tube headphone amplifier
Turntable and vinyl records
CRT TV (analog-only model, so only usable as a monitor)
Bank tellers (their high-tech replacements still aren't that useful)
Cash

Hmmm, that's about it really. I used to have mechanical watches but haven't used a watch in years. Cellphones are more accurate anyway.

Dec 19, 2009 at 9:50 PM Post #82 of 104
turntables
reel to reel
cassette deck
MD's
Playstation1
the 4 carburetors and drum brakes on my motorcycle
10 or so pre 1985 bicycles with friction shifters on the downtube

Dec 19, 2009 at 11:59 PM Post #84 of 104
Quote:

Originally Posted by ricksome /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Lazarus Short: I am only bringing this up because there were scrolls > books> and now e-readers. I should have stated the scroll function which is very old.

Oh, right, I guess you didn't mean the scroll function on the computer.
wink.gif

Did Moses use a Mac or a PC?
wink.gif
wink.gif

Dec 20, 2009 at 2:46 AM Post #86 of 104
Quote:

Originally Posted by Head_case /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If it's obsolete.....then how can it have a use?
confused.gif

I guess you're referring to superceded technology, or yesteryear's technology?

I guess too, that would mean everyone can now disclose that their pull-cord operated Mork and Mindys' are still in use at home in the privacy of the bedroom
smily_headphones1.gif

That's why I put the term obsolete in quotation marks.
smily_headphones1.gif

I can also add my list - on Tuesday I bought a 1985 Honda Nighthawk with four carbs and a rear drum brake. A friend and I are going to get it roadworthy and I should be tooling around with it on the first. Then again, I still have a car with a carb and drum brakes, but I don't use it much.

Dec 20, 2009 at 4:31 AM Post #88 of 104
And it really doesn't matter if I'm wrong
obsoletevinyl.jpg

I just bought those tapes this Halloween.
obsoletevhs.jpg

Have room for one more.
obsoletetestgear.jpg

The soap's from 1893. The razor might be older.
obsoleteshaving.jpg

Need to clean that chemex.
obsoletecoffee.jpg

Do people read paper books anymore? Or smoke a pipe?
obsoletebook.jpg

Dec 20, 2009 at 7:00 PM Post #89 of 104
SiBurning: Nice post and collection...How did you find out about computers and the internet?
Lazarus Short: You Got Me On The Scroll!!! LOL
Uncle Erik: Any chance you will be riding to the East Coast with your NightHawk? I'll take a ride!!!

Dec 20, 2009 at 7:19 PM Post #90 of 104
I use a Motorola Razr2 V8 cellphone (Verizon). I have had it for two years and I love it. It is made with scratch-resistant glass, a soft rubberized back, and it has a heavy and rich feel to it. For me (along with the iPhone and Samsung U100) this is one of the most beautiful cellphones ever made. In the end, however, all the new smart-phones make it seem obsolete. I am going to keep my obsolete technology.

14kgl09.jpg

Here is a picture of the Samsung U100 (the world's thinnest cellphone). To this day, I think of it as the most beautiful cellphone I have ever owned. It was the Ferrari of cellphones. Again, unfortunately, it is obsolete technology and this GSM phone is not supported on any network here in the U.S. It is a shame.

30cyng7.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back