how much noise reduction is enough?
Nov 16, 2010 at 8:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

goDonato

New Head-Fier

I have a video editing system at home and work. I freelance in the evenings at home and I’m looking for noise reducing headphones.

All of my critical audio mixing will be done at work on a good pair of monitors so the headphones don't have to be completely flat. I'd like to have some bass for when I listen to music.

After poking around here I've noticed the Shure SE315 or Westone W2 might be good. From what I read, the ER4's are not durable, is that true?

So how much noise reduction is enough? SE315s have 37, but W2s have 25. In real world terms, what is 25db going to get you?

I work in my loft and my kids can get a little loud. That's the "noise" that I want to reduce.

The 315s seem perfect except their weak on bass, is that true?

I’m looking for isolation, comfort, and durability in that order.

Thanks!

Donato

Nov 16, 2010 at 10:58 PM Post #2 of 21
Isolation is really going to depend on a lot of factors like the tips you use and the shape/dimensions of your ear canal.  But I will say, the Shures you mentioned with the black foam olive tips will give you pretty much all the isolation you will need, without going the custom route.  

Nov 17, 2010 at 2:05 AM Post #3 of 21
It's a futile effort. Your kids will subconsciously detect that you're trying to isolate yourself from the noise and thus become louder in response.

In all seriousness though, any iem would a good seal (olive tips or deep insertion tips) will be sufficient. If you need any more, then get some cheap ear muffs (the type used for construction, etc) that you can wear over the iems.

Nov 17, 2010 at 11:19 AM Post #6 of 21
with a coupon code, i can get the se425s for $263
http://www.earphonesolutions.com/shure-se425.html

This looks like a good price but as there any benefit to waiting closer to Christmas? I know pro SLR & video equipment never goes on sale, do IEM's ever go on sale? Maybe $263 is the best i'm going to find?

Nov 17, 2010 at 12:00 PM Post #7 of 21

Quote:
Quote:
If you need any more, then get some cheap ear muffs (the type used for construction, etc) that you can wear over the iems.

That's a cool idea!
-dMR

If you wanted to go all out, you could get Etymotic ER-4P, then slap some active noise cancelling muffs on top. That'd probably be about 50 dB attenuation right there. Your kids would have to set off the smoke alarm to get your attention... (hmm, maybe not a good idea then)

Quote:
with a coupon code, i can get the se425s for $263
http://www.earphonesolutions.com/shure-se425.html

This looks like a good price but as there any benefit to waiting closer to Christmas? I know pro SLR & video equipment never goes on sale, do IEM's ever go on sale? Maybe $263 is the best i'm going to find?

Almost all electronics go on sale, especially if you're looking at the online specialty shops. The best time to shop is either Black Friday or Christmas/Boxing Day/week.

Nov 17, 2010 at 12:25 PM Post #8 of 21

Quote:
Ahh I love being single and without noisy children.

In all seriousness Etymotic products have the best isolation and Shure comes second.

1+ I find the Ety products to be too isolating, like shure makes the noise dissapear. But Ety/S2 makes the world dissapear.

Nov 17, 2010 at 12:38 PM Post #9 of 21

Quote:
Quote:
Ahh I love being single and without noisy children.

In all seriousness Etymotic products have the best isolation and Shure comes second.

1+ I find the Ety products to be too isolating, like shure makes the noise dissapear. But Ety/S2 makes the world dissapear.

2+ for Ety

Quote:
After poking around here I've noticed the Shure SE315 or Westone W2 might be good. From what I read, the ER4's are not durable, is that true?

All IEMs are fragile and it depends on how you treat them. Comparatively ER4 are fairly durable, I have been using my ER4P for 5 years but it works perfectly while my Shure E5C dead for his cable after 3.5 years. 

I have to say that ER4 are less comfortable than Shures with 3-flanges, but you can try the grey foams and the mushroom-like foams. The sound of ER4 is thought to be more reliable than Shure for remix/ENG as Shure's sound are refined for vocals.

BTW I really do not recommend you using ER4S with out an amp or a decent phone out. 

Nov 17, 2010 at 2:34 PM Post #10 of 21

Quote:
The sound of ER4 is thought to be more reliable than Shure for remix/ENG as Shure's sound are refined for vocals.  
BTW I really do not recommend you using ER4S with out an amp or a decent phone out. 

I didn't know that about the Shure..

I have a little Mackie 402-VLZ3, is that sufficent enough to power the 100Ohm ER4S? What about using the 4P, is the sound too exagerated?

The ER4S looks uncomfortable, with different tips will it ever be as comfortable as others? Maybe I can find a tip that doesn't tune the world out.

Should I consider any other IEM for editing?

Nov 17, 2010 at 2:43 PM Post #11 of 21
I don't even think there is a standardized testing methodology for IEM manufacturers to rate noise dampening.  For instance, the customs from JH and UE are rated at -26db.  Do the Shures actually isolate more?  I don't know, but seems odd.

Nov 17, 2010 at 6:26 PM Post #12 of 21

Quote:
I didn't know that about the Shure..

I have a little Mackie 402-VLZ3, is that sufficent enough to power the 100Ohm ER4S? What about using the 4P, is the sound too exagerated?

The ER4S looks uncomfortable, with different tips will it ever be as comfortable as others? Maybe I can find a tip that doesn't tune the world out.

Should I consider any other IEM for editing?

Probably not, I've checked the user manual it says the output impedance is 60 ohms (http://www.mackie.com/products/402vlz3/pdf/402VLZ3_OM.pdf)

ER4P will not make too much difference except for being a bit less analytical, having less bright highs and a bit more bass.

If you use the mushroom foams it could be comfortable and will still have a good isolation.

The grey foams and well sealed 3-flange might tune the world out...

I cannot think of any more reliable IEMs at this price. Most of IEMs are design for music playback or stage monitoring, which are quite different from editing.

My suggestion is, if possible, you could also consider Sennheiser HD25-1/HD25-C (but not HD25SP).

They are well recognised on sound reproduction (and noise isolation for DJs), more comfortable than IEMs and have a very good isolation among DJ/ENG headphones (no exact data, I feel its isolation is about average for an IEM).

Nov 17, 2010 at 10:25 PM Post #14 of 21
I own the Ety 4P and Shure SE530 phones and have used both on my motorcycle. The idea being they cut down the noise so I can enjoy the music. I think the Ety's are more durable than Shures and using the Ety uncomfortable tri-flange tips offers noticably more isolation. Having said that I should say I have not used the Ety's in the four years I have owned the Shure phones. The Shure phones sound better and the "olive" tips are so comfy I can leave them in for 12 hours at a time. (and I do) The Ety's have to come out after a couple of hours tops.

Nov 18, 2010 at 12:18 AM Post #15 of 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by maudemaude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My suggestion is, if possible, you could also consider Sennheiser HD25-1/HD25-C (but not HD25SP).

They are well recognised on sound reproduction (and noise isolation for DJs), more comfortable than IEMs and have a very good isolation among DJ/ENG headphones (no exact data, I feel its isolation is about average for an IEM).

This is a good find, as long as they don't squeeze the noggin too much. I'm discovering there is no "perfect" option for my application so I guess I have to pick one and go with it.
At least with these I can probably pick them up at B&H and easily return them if they're too tight, maybe w/o a restocking fee.
I'll take a look. Thanks.
-dMR

Users who are viewing this thread

Back