How much money ...
Nov 4, 2007 at 2:58 PM Post #17 of 49
20$+ is a good thing to have in your wallet, or sub100$ - Theres no need for anyone to really hold more than that either.....

Generally, You could do fine with no money at your pocket [as long as you're driving in your own car and not dependent on public traffic such as bus or cabs] as long as you've got a cc
wink.gif

self respect has got nothing to do with it o.0

Nov 4, 2007 at 3:02 PM Post #18 of 49
I work in a garage that doesn't accept cards (they take too much of our profit margin) and it's quite amazing how many people don't carry cash on them.

I tend not to carry more than about £40 unless i know i'm likely to need it.

Nov 4, 2007 at 3:08 PM Post #19 of 49
I try to predict how much I'll need for 2 or 3 days. I try to have at least 10€-20€ with me at all times.
If I know I'm eating out or will need to spend money where they don't accept cards then I'll get some more from the ATM. When I go out at night to a bar or club I take at least 50-60€ with me, form which about 20 is security cab money, in case anything happens to my car, or I'm not able to drive for any reason.

Nov 4, 2007 at 3:25 PM Post #20 of 49
I usually pull out $100 until it is gone (a few weeks). There's something about using a check card for $1.97 charge that just doesn't seem right, and you can't buy a bi-weekly powerball ticket with credit at 99% of retailers in MN. I use a check card for just about everything else.

My father-in-law in NJ usually has several hundred, if not thousand dollars in cash. I don't know if thats his thing or a traditional East Coast thing, but it seems inefficient to me.

Nov 4, 2007 at 3:35 PM Post #21 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by nfusion770 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
$1.97 charge that just doesn't seem right,

Why not? It's the same as cash and it's not like you are charging it.

I used my check card for $.99 resistors once and I've used it it for a $1 McChicken many times.

Nov 4, 2007 at 3:36 PM Post #22 of 49
I just pull €50 from the wall, use it until it's gone and get another €50, etc.

Quote:

Originally Posted by xnothingpoetic
$1 McChicken

WHHAAAAT?? That about $5 here...

Nov 4, 2007 at 3:47 PM Post #23 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by xnothingpoetic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why not? It's the same as cash and it's not like you are charging it.

I used my check card for $.99 resistors once and I've used it it for a $1 McChicken many times.

You're Visa/ Mastercards target market
biggrin.gif

It's no big deal, it just doesn't feel right.

Nov 4, 2007 at 4:01 PM Post #24 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by nfusion770 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There's something about using a check card for $1.97 charge that just doesn't seem right

I'm the same way, I find if I have to pull out a card I pick up more goods until at least the $10 point. It saves me money to have cash on me, plus, it's harder for me to part with cash than swipe a card.

Nov 5, 2007 at 1:06 AM Post #27 of 49
it doesnt seem right to me to spend credit on anything less than $50... but that's me coming from an asian family =P

i like carrying $20-$60 on me

Nov 5, 2007 at 1:12 AM Post #29 of 49
I usually have a lot of cash on me (usually between $100 and $500) because my housemate has a bigger bank account and thus uses his debit card for all the food purchases, and I then pay him in cash because it's so much more convenient (we use different banks). We get food probably every 10 days or so, so it behooves me to have enough for two months at all times.
smily_headphones1.gif

EDIT: But before this housing arrangement, I always withdrew $100 when I was getting low, so I was generally between $20 and $110, mostly hovering around $60.

EDIT2: To answer the question, probably at least $20-$40. Not everyone accepts plastic.

Nov 5, 2007 at 1:22 AM Post #30 of 49
I usually have at least $15-$20 cash and always credit cards. When I am low on cash, I take another $20... when I go out, I usually take about $40. I use cash for food.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back