How much isolation from Denon C700?
Nov 12, 2008 at 4:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Eriatarka

New Head-Fier
I just got these 'phones and am not too impressed with their isolation. Im not sure whether its just me not getting a good seal, or if they dont give enough isolation for my needs. When I have the standard foam tips in, I can still hear noise when I rub my fingers together outside my ear, which is the test I used to do to check that my E4Cs were sealed correctly.

Would using the Comply foam tips make a big difference to the isolation?

Nov 12, 2008 at 5:28 PM Post #2 of 15
I just did the isolation test you mentioned and I can also hear my fingers rubbing. This is using the stock black rubber? tips, mine didn't come with foam ones. I can't compare with other IEM's though as these are my first and only pair.
When I was reading reviews before buying mine, I think lots of people said that they weren't true "in your ear canal" earphones, so the isolation would be less than the Shures...etc.
Im not sure about aftermarket tips though, I gotta try some of them out myself.

Nov 13, 2008 at 10:18 PM Post #4 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gberg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For sure the comply foam tips would provide better isolation.

Better fit, and more comfortable IMO.

+1

I think I tried the stock tips for about 5 minutes before I tossed them in a drawer in favor of the Comply's.

Nov 14, 2008 at 1:24 AM Post #6 of 15
I think I need to try some of those complys
smile_phones.gif

Nov 14, 2008 at 6:20 AM Post #7 of 15
I am guessing the isolation with stock tips is 15-20 db vs about 30-35 db with my Livewires customs. I could go shooting with the Livewires as protection, but not with the Denon - not by a long shot. (pun intended)

Nov 15, 2008 at 5:38 AM Post #8 of 15
the denons have really poor isolation, not only because of the tips, it's an open pair of IEMs..

Nov 15, 2008 at 9:01 AM Post #9 of 15
Get the Comply tips. They make the isolation a LOT better. I remember walking through the city with the stock tips, the sound, especially the bass, would be drowned out by all sorts of sounds. Not so with the Comply tips. I wouldn't say they are the more isolating than the er-6i, but the difference is night and day and they are close to matching my old super.fi 5 pro with rubber tips.

Nov 15, 2008 at 9:38 AM Post #10 of 15
Form dont stick in my ear, tried the Shure E2c, and ER6i stocks they both pop out and ruin my sound eventually.

Nov 17, 2008 at 10:55 PM Post #11 of 15
Do they leak sound because they are open, like if you were on a bus listening at 75% volume on an iPod, would you be p***ing people off?

They can't be nearly as bad as Grado's or other open backed cans must be, can they?

I'm considering buying a pair of Denon's soon.

Nov 17, 2008 at 11:36 PM Post #12 of 15
They don't really leak sound but they do let it in.

I wouldn't recommend using Comply foams to anyone unless they're made of money. I still cannot believe how ridiculously expensive they are for something that isn't reusable.

Nov 17, 2008 at 11:38 PM Post #13 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by synaesthetic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wouldn't recommend using Comply foams to anyone unless they're made of money. I still cannot believe how ridiculously expensive they are for something that isn't reusable.

Thank you. I feel the same way. I will continue to use the stock tips on my C551s until there's a better (cheaper) alternative.

Nov 17, 2008 at 11:43 PM Post #14 of 15
Yeah, Shure black foams are $20 for 5 pair, but they're very easily washable so 5 pair lasts a very long time. I only throw my olives away when they lose their springiness and don't seal well. They usually last me two months per pair (or more if I don't use them often).

Nov 18, 2008 at 12:57 AM Post #15 of 15
one downside of the comply foams is the don't last as long as the shure's but they sure as hell do a better job of keeping a great seal without causing my ears pain and discomfort when using my tf10's. Therefore, I am willing to go through more of them to have this luxury.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back