How much higher do I need to go?
Nov 3, 2009 at 4:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Abouna

500+ Head-Fier
[size=x-small]OK, I've been thoroughly satisfied with my [/size][size=xx-small][size=x-small]UE Super.fi 3 IEMs for quite a while now. However, lately I'm wishing for a fuller sound. Frankly the signature is just about right for me, fairly neutral (a smidgen more on the low end would be OK). All things considered I'd rather sacrifice some low end though for the mids and highs if need be.

How much more would I need to spend to hear a significant difference unamped? What should I consider?
[/size][/size]

Nov 3, 2009 at 5:08 PM Post #2 of 9
In the spirit of "dance with them what brung ya", if you like the 3, go for the 5. I have those (5 .vi), the 10, and am getting the 5EB. They have notorious comfort issues--Ultimate Ears seems to have just given up on that--but their sound agrees with me.

Nov 3, 2009 at 7:04 PM Post #3 of 9
I have not listened to the Super.fi 5s, but I would say that would probably be the best way to go. I can't give you any personal advice on the shift up to the Super.fi 5s, though. (I would thing the Pros would be the best way to go, so you should act fast since they are discontinued).

Personally, I thought the Super.fi 3s sound was great when I first got them over a year ago but I always wanted the ER4Ps after reading about them. Now that I finally have the ER4Ps, the sound of my Super.fi 3s are just too muddled in the lower mids (very similar to my HD555s). Granted, these are pretty much brand new, since UE sent me a new pair to replace my old ones a couple months ago because they were taking so long to send me a replacement wire.

Nov 3, 2009 at 7:14 PM Post #4 of 9
If you want more low-end, try foams. It might pinch off (literally) the highs though, depending on the kind of foams.

Or a Fiio E5. Don't know if you'd go that way, however. But if low end isn't a concern, maybe you're an Etymotic man.

I was looking into the SF5P and TF10, but I can't say I'm impressed by UE's build quality. On the other hand, Westones are pretty expensive.

I wonder how the UM2 compares to the TF10.

Nov 4, 2009 at 2:17 AM Post #5 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ntropic /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I wonder how the UM2 compares to the TF10.

TF10's are better sounding IMHO. More neutral, balanced and refined sounding with a large soundstage. Fit and size can be a nuisance.

UM2 are fun sounding. Smooth and natural. Smaller soundstage with an intimate closed in feeling. Great IEM but perhaps a bit overpriced at $270'ish.

Nov 4, 2009 at 3:45 AM Post #6 of 9
I went from UHP336's (rebadged SF3's) to RE0's. Huge difference for the better. My UHP336's sound like iBuds to me now. If you can afford TF10's or Westone 3's, they might work better though.

Nov 4, 2009 at 3:52 AM Post #7 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by bba1973 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I went from UHP336's (rebadged SF3's) to RE0's. Huge difference for the better. My UHP336's sound like iBuds to me now. If you can afford TF10's or Westone 3's, they might work better though.

Would you mind linking to those three?

Nov 4, 2009 at 8:41 PM Post #8 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Abouna /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Would you mind linking to those three?

Which 3? You mean Head Direct's RE0's, Ultimate Ears' Triple.fi 10, and Westone's Westone 3?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back