How much does it cost to turn on A/C for one month?
Jul 17, 2005 at 3:17 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Luvya

100+ Head-Fier
I have a one bedroom apt which comes with a air conditioner. It's getting unbelievably hot here in LA. I plan to turn it on from 12pm to 6pm everyday...how much do you think my electricity bill will cost? Currently I pay only $5 a month. I know I am frugal...
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 17, 2005 at 3:25 AM Post #2 of 13
how in the world do you pay $6??? do you have a fridge? do you ever use light or your PC?? $6 seems TOOOOOOO low...

Jul 17, 2005 at 3:32 AM Post #3 of 13
there was one month where my sister stayed over (or was supposed to) for 10 days when I was gone on vacation. she was supposed to stay home and take care of my dog. well instead she basically only dropped by once a day to sort of walk the dog...poor dog, but that's another whole story. anyhow it was hot that summer so she just left the AC going full blast for 10 full days nonstop, all the lights on, the TV blasting at punishing levels - all so "the dog wouldn't be bored" - don't ask! anyhow as expected our electric bills that month jumped up by 300 bucks. suffice to say we hire a dogsitter when we're gone now - believe me, it's alot cheaper.

Jul 17, 2005 at 4:12 AM Post #5 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by MrSlacker
how in the world do you pay $6??? do you have a fridge? do you ever use light or your PC?? $6 seems TOOOOOOO low...

Yes, I have fridge and laptop. But I have good habit of conserving energy. (not for the sake of the world, but my electricity bill). I think the fact that I signed up for low income program also helps too.

Jul 17, 2005 at 4:23 AM Post #6 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Actual
I guess the moral of this story is "It is cheaper to die of hear stroke."

That, and "leave dogsitting to the pros."

Jul 17, 2005 at 4:26 AM Post #7 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Luvya
Yes, I have fridge and laptop. But I have good habit of conserving energy. (not for the sake of the world, but my electricity bill). I think the fact that I signed up for low income program also helps too.

hmm, thats weird, because, i'd think that a fridge and lights cost more then $6. plus you probly have TV and all the other home things... we pay about $40 during winter and more like $60-$70 in the summer

Jul 17, 2005 at 4:48 AM Post #8 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by MrSlacker

I have a four bedroom townhouse with central air and three roommates who leave their high wattage machines on 24 hours a day and our total energy bill (gas and electricity) is on average $6/day. I try to be a miser about electricity which means I have to make my rounds at night to turn out the lights in the house and other things. The bill may shoot up to around $200 for energy during peak A/C season though and that's still under $7 a day.

Jul 17, 2005 at 4:52 AM Post #9 of 13
Typical 1-2 bedroom apt with people out of the house 7am-7pm and AC on all night. $80 a month.

Jul 17, 2005 at 11:24 PM Post #10 of 13
My electric bill without AC is around $70. This is for a 2 bedroom brick townhouse with central air and 1 roomate. 3 computers are always on and we have an electric oven. With AC our bill has gone as high as $176.

The cost of AC will depend on the age and quality of the unit, windows, insulation in the house, temp you want the house and more.

Jul 18, 2005 at 12:30 PM Post #12 of 13
We have two ac's. With both of them on about 12 hrs each day for 30 days=$200+ Con ed bill.

Jul 18, 2005 at 8:26 PM Post #13 of 13
The thermal energy of air-conditioning is measured in BTU (British thermal Unit)? and Watts. The thermal energy is roughly 2 to 3 times the actual electric energy your AC will use. So if you have 3000W AC (heating or cooling), you will pay for ar. 1000-1500W electrical energy. This is with assumption that the AA is on all the time, but that's not the case with more modern (for America) split type AC's, where the compressor in the outer unit basicaly runs half of the time(or less, depending on the set temperature, resulting in economy), or in the split type inverter AC where the AC(alternated current) is converted to DC(direct current) to adjust steplessly and continuously the rotation of the compressor and fans in the outdoor and indoor units(resulting in yet more increased economy). In the end let's say that you have 1500W AC running half the time and that equals 750w/h or 0.75KW/h. Multiply this by the price for KW/h (if that is the method used for measuring el. energy in your country.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back