How much damage did I do to my ears?
May 12, 2018 at 3:06 AM Post #16 of 46
[1] You don't need to be pessimistic...I'm sure, generally speaking, that redryder is fine. .... I don't doubt there was some damage done, but compared to aggregate damage and deterioration over years and decades, it was trivial.
[2] That is *insane*. What kind of headphones were capable of output that could do that?

1. I'm sure he's probably fine too. I basically said the same as you, except I used the word "marginal" rather than "trivial".

2. I don't know, I didn't ask him. I didn't know him well, he was one of my fellow students on an education certificate course I had to take when I became a lecturer for a few years about 15 years ago. The incident happened a couple of years prior to my meeting him I think and communication was limited because to "speak" with him I had to type on his laptop. I assumed his HPs blew but never asked him more about the incident than he volunteered the first time we communicated.

G

May 20, 2018 at 9:02 PM Post #19 of 46
HWAT! I KENNA HEAR YA!

May 21, 2018 at 12:39 PM Post #20 of 46
Related Question: What weighting method should be used when measuring SPL for setting listening level on a headphone, A, C, or Z? I've been using Z and trying to make sure I see no more than 88 dB to set my maximum listening level for a given amp/headphone combination (cross spectrum labs calibrated UMIK-1 on a flat plate coupler). Z seems to yeild the highest SPL (and lowest volume).

May 21, 2018 at 12:55 PM Post #21 of 46
Related Question: What weighting method should be used when measuring SPL for setting listening level on a headphone, A, C, or Z? I've been using Z and trying to make sure I see no more than 88 dB to set my maximum listening level for a given amp/headphone combination (cross spectrum labs calibrated UMIK-1 on a flat plate coupler). Z seems to yeild the highest SPL (and lowest volume).

The main thing is consistency if you're just calibrating for your own purposes. dBZ yields highest SPL because it attenuates the fewest frequencies, so it's the cautious choice. OSHA gives guidelines in dBA.

May 24, 2018 at 7:05 AM Post #26 of 46
I don't know how significant your ringing is, but I've talked to friends who never knew they had any until I mentioned it and they payed attention while in a quiet place. now they hate me because I made them self conscious. :sweat_smile:
maybe it's the same for you(not that it changes the result).

May 28, 2018 at 7:06 PM Post #27 of 46
I did the same thing with my chord mojo.

I forgot that it was still at max volume in februray and got 3volts straight into my centre of higher learning and destroying my first pair of kinera seeds in the process.

Lasted for a whole 4 seconds before I managed to rip them out of my ears.

Turns out that the seeds were dodgy anyway, so I didnt miss them, I just regret buying a second pair to re-confirm my suspicion that they really are bad.

It’s happened to us all and for those who it hasnt happened to, it WILL come, its just a matter of “when” rather than “if”.

Anyway, the lesson I learned that day ?

Always turn on your source and check the volume before putting on headphones or earphones, your ears and brain will thank you for it.

Edit.

Forgot to say, it made my tinnitus worse, but has settled down now.

As soon as it happened, I stopped and thought some damage had been caused.

Straight away, within minutes I started using those yellow 3m foam earplugs, have boxes n boxes of them and I used them during the day and whilst sleeping for a week or so.

I think my early 3m foam bud intervention may of helped it, but I really could not say.

Last edited by a moderator:
May 30, 2018 at 10:53 AM Post #28 of 46
I did the same thing with my chord mojo.

I forgot that it was still at max volume in februray and got 3volts straight into my centre of higher learning and destroying my first pair of kinera seeds in the process.

Lasted for a whole 4 seconds before I managed to rip them out of my ears.

Turns out that the seeds were dodgy anyway, so I didnt miss them, I just regret buying a second pair to re-confirm my suspicion that they really are bad.

It’s happened to us all and for those who it hasnt happened to, it WILL come, its just a matter of “when” rather than “if”.

Anyway, the lesson I learned that day ?

Always turn on your source and check the volume before putting on headphones or earphones, your ears and brain will thank you for it.

Edit.

Forgot to say, it made my tinnitus worse, but has settled down now.

As soon as it happened, I stopped and thought some damage had been caused.

Straight away, within minutes I started using those yellow 3m foam earplugs, have boxes n boxes of them and I used them during the day and whilst sleeping for a week or so.

I think my early 3m foam bud intervention may of helped it, but I really could not say.

Gentlemen:

As an older member here with Tinnitus for over 40 years___may I make some comments?
I have seen M.D.'s ( ENT), Audiologists (Ph.D.'s ) by the dozens as I recall____There is NO cure for Tinnitus,
no cream, goop, magic voodoo. It can subside, but it will never go away completely.
When it becomes louder, in advanced years, even while listening to music_____the Tinnitus will BE louder.
In most cases, many lose hearing in one or both ears.
In the early 1970's, I bought a pair of Koss Pro 4AA headphones, ( weighting about it seemed 50 lbs)__they were suppose to be very good.
In the spirit of listening to different types of music___at higher volumes, in hindsight it was probably then that I damaged my hearing for the future.
In late 1970's the Tinnitus started, spoke with several physicians, few had no clue what Tinnitus was.
By early 1980's the 'word' seemed to have been passed, BUT actually nobody had a clue what to do or where to go or how to fix it.

2018______there is NO cure, the truth is ____even if you removed your ears, Tinnitus would still RING____in my case "like the bells from hell" as I comment to my wife.
It can sound like a huge 'beehive' inside your head, day and night___it rings.
NOTE: I am not crying 'wolf', certainly not attempting to scare anyone from our love of music____Just caution in volume levels!

In recent years, I tried a DAP, using my preference of .Aiffs__the IE80's are very good, but the 'ringing' was louder.
I know this site is paid for my those selling audio items, Great___just use them in moderation,
Indeed, even ambient street noise can cause, serving in combat areas will, over time, combined with other loud noises it will 'get you in the end'.
After rereading this post, perhaps reads like a preacher screaming, "the sky is falling____no not at all.
Have kept logs over the years, noting the volume of the Tinnitus, it has become louder et al.

Somewhat recently have tried using binaural beats, at lower frequencies with buds to mask the ringing,
to some degree it works while sleeping, but not a cure.
Not "crying in my beer" so to speak, but here just "passing the word"____it will seem to go away,
in my case and others it Will come back. It is, been advised it is cumulative over time.

We love music___years ago "converted" to all tubes system____large floor standing speakers, vacuum tube pre-amp.power amps tubes.
Vinyl is our preferred type___but on occasions from the iMac into a DAC into pre-amp__down the line, Wavs. Aiffs. it is subjective, we have found
with tubes, less "listening fatigue" ___

If you are a vendor here, please take no offense, this is only a cautionary post for those _hmm__younger listeners who
'might' save some hearing, pain later in life.

Enjoy your music, just lower the knob (pot) on your amp, lower SPL.

Last edited:
May 30, 2018 at 1:22 PM Post #29 of 46
Gentlemen:

As an older member here with Tinnitus for over 40 years___may I make some comments?
I have seen M.D.'s ( ENT), Audiologists (Ph.D.'s ) by the dozens as I recall____There is NO cure for Tinnitus,
no cream, goop, magic voodoo. It can subside, but it will never go away completely.
When it becomes louder, in advanced years, even while listening to music_____the Tinnitus will BE louder.
In many cases, many lose hearing in one or both ears.
In the early 1970's, I bought a pair of Koss Pro 4AA headphones, ( weighting about it seemed 50 lbs)__they were suppose to be very good.
In the spirit of listening to different types of music___at higher volumes, in hindsight it was probably then that I damaged my hearing for the future.
In late 1970's the Tinnitus started, spoke with several physicians, few had no clue what Tinnitus was.
By early 1980's the 'word' seemed to have been passed, BUT actually nobody had a clue what to do or where to go or how to fix it.

2018______there is NO cure, the truth is ____even if you removed your ears, Tinnitus would still RING____in my case "like the bells from hell" as I comment to my wife.
It can sound like a huge 'beehive' inside your head, day and night___it rings.
NOTE: I am not crying 'wolf', certainly not attempting to scare anyone from our love of music____Just caution in volume levels!

In recent years, I tried a DAP, using my preference of .Aiffs__the IE80's are very good, but the 'ringing' was louder.
I know this site is paid for my those selling audio items, Great___just use them in moderation,
Indeed, even ambient street noise can cause, serving in combat areas will, over time, combined with other loud noises it will 'get you in the end'.
After rereading this post, perhaps reads like a preacher screaming, "the sky is falling____no not at all.
Have kept logs over the years, noting the volume of the Tinnitus, it has become louder at el.

Somewhat recently have tried using binaural beats, at lower frequencies with buds to mask the ringing,
to some degree it works while sleeping, but not a cure.
Not "crying in my beer" so to speak, but here just "passing the word"____it will seem to go away,
in my case and others it Will come back. It is, been advised it is cumulative over time.

We love music___years ago "converted" to all tubes system____large floor standing speakers, vacuum tube pre-amp.power amps tubes.
Vinyl is our preferred type___but on occasions from the iMac into a DAC into pre-amp__down the line, Wavs. Aiffs. it is subjective, we have found
with tubes, less "listening fatigue" ___

If you are a vendor here, please take no offense, this is only a cautionary post for those _hmm__younger listeners who
'might' save some hearing, pain later in life.

Enjoy your music, just lower the knob (pot) on your amp, lower 'spl'.

Yes, I am completely aware of what tinnitus is and does.

Was even at the hospital a few years back because I started hearing it at night and it would keep me awake.

I was put in a booth and put on a headset and listened for tones at different frequencies, also got my ear pressure taken.

Thats when I was told I have some hearing loss and that my tinnitus would subside as the brain learns to filter it out.

Whilst writing this all I hear in my right ear is nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn or something like it.

Was offered a noise generating machine from the hospital to help me get to sleep, but I found out that a prescription for some benzo sleeping tablets worked a treat.

I dont know how old you are ? You do mention you have had tinnitus for 40 years, I have not had it aslong as that, but I do recall having it on and off when I was a teenager 30 odd years ago, but since the mid 2000s, say 2006, It has now become a permanent fixture in my life.

Its easy to handle in the daytime, its just at night time when trying to fall asleep did it bother me.

What started it all was whilst on holiday a few decades ago, we were at a gun range in the states, indoor ones and some idiot fired a gun before we all got our hearing protector headphones on.

For 2 days after that I had no bass, all I heard was treble.

How could I forget the airshows with military jets, it amazes me how jets can break into x country and bomb them without x country knowing ?

The things are ear bleeding loud. I could become crazy rich if I could come up with a system that could track and launch missiles using noise detection only, no radars, no laser, no infrared, all it needs is the sound of a jet engine.

One can but dream, anyway.

You are correct that their is no cure for tinnitus, its the microscopic hairs in the ear that are dieing that makes the hoise, or something like that.

However it is a pita at times.

Last edited by a moderator:
May 30, 2018 at 1:27 PM Post #30 of 46
Geez. How safe or unsafe are IEMs? I'm using them for the first time and today for the first time I'm noticing tinnitus during the day (after waking up so no recent use of headphones or IEMs). I'll notice it going to bed and wonder how I don't otherwise, but it's definitely there right now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back