how much better will my shure srh750dj headphones ound with a dac/amp preferrably the fiio e7.
Jan 19, 2011 at 5:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

bcasey25raptor

Aka: Brycon Casey
aka mental patient
aka Enter Darkness
aka Shurefan
aka reaperofaudio
aka everyone knows
aka very funny
im thinking of getting a fiio e7 but will the quality be worth it. will i notice a really big increase in quality. for example less distortion on high . thanks.

Jan 19, 2011 at 6:27 PM Post #2 of 11
Hey, I have those headphones, and I do notice some distortion in a few of my songs, but its never high volume so I always assumed its my files, but then again I don't have the same problem when I use the Klipsch Image s4s, quite weird, I guess that means the 750DJs are less forgiving of bad files.  Anyways, to the point, I ordered the Fiio E7, I always had the feeling that the 750DJ are underpowered through the laptop and also alot of people, Shure included, say it should be amped or whatever  (or so from what I've read).  My main complaint is the feeling of it being underpowered but also I want a bit more bass, specifically more boom cause I think it punches fine but I don't get enough boom (this is imo), so hopefully the E7 will fix this.  It should be here by next Thursday at the latest (I've been told this at every part of the process and it's always late so ill be lucky to have it by then) so just wait it out and I'll definitely come back to this thread and post impressions.  My 750s have about 42 hours on them, I would have well over 50 by now which was my goal before using the E7 but I got my ear pierced and I don't want to have the headphones put pressure on it which obv the 750 would do.  Hopefully though by next week I can use it again and get 50 hours in before the E7 so that way any difference will be attributed to mostly the E7 in terms of S and not alot to burn-in as it really hasn't changed much after like 10-20 hours (again imo) but it definitely changed alot within the first 10 hours, that plus my ears got accustomed to the sound.  So I should be able to answer this by next weekend for you so just be patient, may save you $85-100 or I may also end up telling you to definitely get it, hopefully its the latter :)

Anybody out there currently using this with a dac/amp or just an amp, not alot of feedback on this and it would be nice to hear some impressions, thanks.

Jan 19, 2011 at 7:13 PM Post #3 of 11

Quote:
Hey, I have those headphones, and I do notice some distortion in a few of my songs, but its never high volume so I always assumed its my files, but then again I don't have the same problem when I use the Klipsch Image s4s, quite weird, I guess that means the 750DJs are less forgiving of bad files.  Anyways, to the point, I ordered the Fiio E7, I always had the feeling that the 750DJ are underpowered through the laptop and also alot of people, Shure included, say it should be amped or whatever  (or so from what I've read).  My main complaint is the feeling of it being underpowered but also I want a bit more bass, specifically more boom cause I think it punches fine but I don't get enough boom (this is imo), so hopefully the E7 will fix this.  It should be here by next Thursday at the latest (I've been told this at every part of the process and it's always late so ill be lucky to have it by then) so just wait it out and I'll definitely come back to this thread and post impressions.  My 750s have about 42 hours on them, I would have well over 50 by now which was my goal before using the E7 but I got my ear pierced and I don't want to have the headphones put pressure on it which obv the 750 would do.  Hopefully though by next week I can use it again and get 50 hours in before the E7 so that way any difference will be attributed to mostly the E7 in terms of S and not alot to burn-in as it really hasn't changed much after like 10-20 hours (again imo) but it definitely changed alot within the first 10 hours, that plus my ears got accustomed to the sound.  So I should be able to answer this by next weekend for you so just be patient, may save you $85-100 or I may also end up telling you to definitely get it, hopefully its the latter :)

Anybody out there currently using this with a dac/amp or just an amp, not alot of feedback on this and it would be nice to hear some impressions, thanks.

thanks i am looking forward to your review.

Feb 7, 2011 at 8:54 PM Post #5 of 11

Quote:
Hey I got the E7 in finally last week but haven't been able to use it yet, I am 99.9% sure I'll use it tomorrow so I should have impressions for you by the end of the day :)

sounds great because the distortion is killing me i am curious as to if it solves the distortion problems.

Feb 8, 2011 at 5:44 PM Post #6 of 11
Ok, this is a day late, sorry about that as I didn't get to listen to it yesterday.  Well I finally used it today, been using it for a few hours now.  As for clarity, I just bought a new laptop so I guess it had a decent sound card so clairty wasn't GREATLY improved, maybe marginal.  Distortion wasn't a huge problem for me, but I don't hear any right now, however I KNOW I had that problem with some songs before so I can't 100% say there is no distortion until I end up listening to my music and go through my library a bit more.  As an amp, I was searching for a bit of boom in my bass and maybe some vibration.  You definitely get a bit more vibration but its really vloume dependent.  At 30/60, its minimal, more than without the E7 though.  At 45/60 to 55/60, there's much more, not alot as in head-shaking but there is more.  But at that volume, some songs are too loud for listening so its hit and miss.  I think I am gonna need the E9 to solve that.  Soundstage seems improved also.  So I guess if your soundcard sucks for sure and you hear static, for the DAC alone you'll like it, if you need an amp primarily, this is probably not strong enough which is weird cause the 750DJ is only 32 ohms impedance.  Also, you can't use the EQ/Bass boost without distortion, if you even get to 1, the distortion is just too much and this is with mp3 and ALAC files.

Hope this helps

Feb 8, 2011 at 7:42 PM Post #7 of 11

Quote:
Ok, this is a day late, sorry about that as I didn't get to listen to it yesterday.  Well I finally used it today, been using it for a few hours now.  As for clarity, I just bought a new laptop so I guess it had a decent sound card so clairty wasn't GREATLY improved, maybe marginal.  Distortion wasn't a huge problem for me, but I don't hear any right now, however I KNOW I had that problem with some songs before so I can't 100% say there is no distortion until I end up listening to my music and go through my library a bit more.  As an amp, I was searching for a bit of boom in my bass and maybe some vibration.  You definitely get a bit more vibration but its really vloume dependent.  At 30/60, its minimal, more than without the E7 though.  At 45/60 to 55/60, there's much more, not alot as in head-shaking but there is more.  But at that volume, some songs are too loud for listening so its hit and miss.  I think I am gonna need the E9 to solve that.  Soundstage seems improved also.  So I guess if your soundcard sucks for sure and you hear static, for the DAC alone you'll like it, if you need an amp primarily, this is probably not strong enough which is weird cause the 750DJ is only 32 ohms impedance.  Also, you can't use the EQ/Bass boost without distortion, if you even get to 1, the distortion is just too much and this is with mp3 and ALAC files.

Hope this helps

thanks for that. so in your opinion is it worth to get the e7? my laptop sound card is utter garbage.

Feb 8, 2011 at 10:01 PM Post #9 of 11

Quote:
Quote:

Hope this helps

thanks for that. so in your opinion is it worth to get the e7? my laptop sound card is utter garbage.

If you want it for the DAC alone and you are SURE your sound card is crap, then yes if you can get it for $70-80.  I really wouldn't pay more for it unless they're not many cheaper alternatives for external soundcards which I have no knowledge about.

Feb 8, 2011 at 10:08 PM Post #10 of 11

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Hope this helps

If you want it for the DAC alone and you are SURE your sound card is crap, then yes if you can get it for $70-80.  I really wouldn't pay more for it unless they're not many cheaper alternatives for external soundcards which I have no knowledge about.

ok thanks.

Feb 8, 2011 at 11:36 PM Post #11 of 11

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Hope this helps

ok thanks.

Np man, my only issue is the amp portion of the amp doesn't really kick in till higher volume levels but by then its too loud for comfortable listening :frowning2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back