how much better is sm3v6 than PA2V2?
Apr 16, 2006 at 10:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 33

passerby999

WARNING: BAD TRADER
Also known as I-Love-Music
tongue.gif
anybody can give me some detailed comparison? thanks

Apr 17, 2006 at 3:57 AM Post #2 of 33
Even though your headphones play a role in the comparison, as do SM2V6's op amps, there are a few general comparison points:

PA2V2:
- Fits in the palm of your hand
- Somewhat warm lows, with clear mids and crisp highs
- Easy to use and charge, a no-brainer entry-level amp
- Upper range has an ever so slight solid state electronics sound
- Can amplify most headphones very solidly
- Straightforward, lacks finesse
- Excellent bargain, superior service

SM2V6:
- About twice the size, but still very compact
- With batteries, can be fairly hefty
- Excellent control over tone via op amps, gain, etc.
- "Black" background, with well-balanced range
- Controlled bass, clear highs, a sense of preciseness and clarity
- Pretty good support, though beginners may require some hand-holding with op amp rollling, opening and closing
- A support forum exists with fast feedback, but a user's guide would be nice
- Switches, though small and hard to manage, offer good on-the-fly control over certain aspects of sound like gain.
- Beautifully made, inside and out

You've certainly picked two widely different products to compare. Both are very good in their own way, and very popular.

Apr 17, 2006 at 5:57 AM Post #4 of 33
While both are very good and they both repersent solid products in their price range. One is $60 and the other is $350. Whether the PA2V2 is $290 better the the SuperMacro, thats up to you. If you do get the SuperMacro, think about the Hornet, and the AE-1.

Apr 17, 2006 at 1:42 PM Post #6 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by 2426
Whether the PA2V2 is $290 better the the SuperMacro, thats up to you.

Wait, don't you mean the other way around?
icon10.gif

Apr 17, 2006 at 1:55 PM Post #7 of 33
You missed out a huge reason.

The SM3 is battery-powered(8 AAAs) and it can be powered from the mains(bypasses the batteries, useful for opamp rolling and testing without rebuilding). Also if you have rechargeable batteries in it it has an internal charging circuit....and an overcharge cut-off.

So like an mp3-player you can just plug it in and charge it.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 18, 2006 at 6:20 AM Post #8 of 33
The PA2V2 also takes batteries (2xAA) and charges off mains so I don't think this is a major point of difference between them

Apr 18, 2006 at 6:56 AM Post #9 of 33
i know the sm3v6 must be better than the other one, cause there's a $290 difference in between, but does that difference worth paying $290 more? and, if i wanna use it with my nano+the coming shure e500, which one should be more compatible? is there a huge difference also? thanks!
confused.gif

Apr 18, 2006 at 12:12 PM Post #11 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by dogthinker
The PA2V2 also takes batteries (2xAA) and charges off mains so I don't think this is a major point of difference between them

Well I don't have a PA2V2, so I wouldn't know. In that case 8 X AAA is a hell of a lot more powerful than 2 AAs.

8 X 1.2V = 9.6V
2 X 1.5 = 3V

Plus the SuperMini & Micro use 2 & 1 batteries respectively and as Xin has said this configuration doesn't need being able to recharge in situe, its not exactly the job of the century to take them out. With 8 AAAs this is another matter, it would be annoying to keep having to take them all out.

This is like the thread comparing the HD515 with the 650...

Apr 18, 2006 at 11:30 PM Post #13 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by mypasswordis
Is there a reason why 8 AAA's are used as opposed to a 9V?

Yes, its because AAAs come in rechargeable form. 9V batteries do, but they're quite weak and expensive in comparison.

AAAs can be charged in most AA-chargers too.

Apr 19, 2006 at 1:19 AM Post #14 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chri5peed
Well I don't have a PA2V2, so I wouldn't know. In that case 8 X AAA is a hell of a lot more powerful than 2 AAs.

8 X 1.2V = 9.6V
2 X 1.5 = 3V

Plus the SuperMini & Micro use 2 & 1 batteries respectively and as Xin has said this configuration doesn't need being able to recharge in situe, its not exactly the job of the century to take them out. With 8 AAAs this is another matter, it would be annoying to keep having to take them all out.

This is like the thread comparing the HD515 with the 650...

It's not the size of the voltage but how you use it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back