How much are Beats by Dr. Dre (by Monster) worth?
Jul 17, 2011 at 3:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

HiphopHipHop

New Head-Fier
In a honest world, what would be the price of these?

I have Klinsch in ear headphones and I dont like it. I think I want a change from the in-ear headphones and want a more comfortable full sound.

So after doing research all fingers point to Beats by Dre. I'm looking for other headphones but they're designed poorly. These are headphones I will be wearing while walking outside so i'm looking for comfort. I'm also looking for headphones I can place in my bag without it breaking.

Jul 17, 2011 at 3:45 PM Post #2 of 24
$30-$70 depending on the model, not a dollar more! still expensive for that crappy sound if you ask me....

Jul 17, 2011 at 3:51 PM Post #4 of 24

Quote:
Woah, so which headphones do you recommend? i listen to mostly hiphop so bass is important. I'm also looking for something with a good design.

I would be temped to buy beats, fullsized, for $100 for the body. Then throw in my T50RP drivers into the body

But, go for ATH-M50's

Good for bass heavy music, don't need an amp and sound great with a great build.

Jul 17, 2011 at 4:36 PM Post #6 of 24

Quote:
Woah, so which headphones do you recommend? i listen to mostly hiphop so bass is important. I'm also looking for something with a good design.

If you were willing to splurge $300 for the crappy beats, then you can get the king of hip-hop bass: Ultrasone pro 900's
this is it!
For less the Ath-m50's and the srh-840's will thrill you, best sound for the buck! and this is unanimous!

Jul 17, 2011 at 5:50 PM Post #8 of 24
Sony XB500 / XB700 / M-Audio Q40 / Ultrasone HFI-580 or DJ1 / Shure SRH 750 DJ / Denon D1100 / Phiaton MS 400 / Audio Technica PRO700MK2 -- all these are just a few examples of bassheavy headphones with similar or more bass quantity than Beats with better SQ and (much) smaller pricetag.

M50 may be slightly disappointing in terms of bass quantity if you were the kind of guy interested in Beats I'd think. If looks are important then check out Ultrasone HFI-580 or the DJ1 (non-pro model), Phiaton MS 400 (there's a red/black and all black version), V-Moda Crossfade LP or possibly even M-Audio Q40.

EDIT: The new Soul by Ludacris - line of headphones seem also like an option, at least the SL300 but the SL150 is probably also better than Beats at least

Jul 17, 2011 at 6:14 PM Post #10 of 24

Quote:
$30-$70 depending on the model, not a dollar more! still expensive for that crappy sound if you ask me....

is not that bad. i would say around $100, $150 tops for its overall presentation both the sound and style. Buying the Dre it's like buying lux goods, you are not really paying for the functionality that it has to offer, if you wanna goood looking and plenty of bass i'd recommend sennheiser hd-25

Jul 17, 2011 at 7:14 PM Post #12 of 24

Quote:
there's actually cheap knockoffs on ebay that are better-engineered then the real thing.(OR mabye im getting ahead of myself.) 

Ehh..... knockoffs usually use the cheapest thing available. I've heard of fake Studios sounding as bad as stock Apple earbuds.

Jul 17, 2011 at 8:16 PM Post #13 of 24
PANSONIC RP-HTX7's. They don't fold though. But they're built well, stylish, comfortable, isolate and sound awesome - all for $30-$40. They sound fun and have good bass, although they're a little less in quantity than the Beats.

I would love to get Beats (fun sound + noise cancelling + comfort)' if only they were built better and didn't insult/take advantage of their customers with their over-priced plastic. It doesn't cost a lot to make a headphone out of decent, durable materials (i.e. RP-HTX7, M50, V6/7506) If these companies can do it, why can't Monster? It's bogus. 

Jul 17, 2011 at 8:18 PM Post #14 of 24
The Beats are worth $300 as the fashion accessory they are. Just like $100 t-shirts, $400 jeans and $700 shoes. If you want to pay for a label, $300 is pretty reasonable. You can appear "cool" to the vast majority of consumers and people who have their self-identity tied up with brands and status symbols. If that is what you're looking for, go ahead and buy them. You'd probably be made fun of for wearing a big Senneiser or Beyerdynamic, anyway. Those have very little social appeal to the public.

The reason the Beats are a fashion accessory is because they don't do very well with music. They add sloppy, messy and imprecise bass that isn't on the recording. Even worse, that extra bass flavoring drowns out the mids and highs. So they're only good for impressing people. Unless you're a rapper or pro athlete, because Monster will pay you to wear the Beats in public. I'd wear the Beats in public if I was getting paid to.

So if you want to fit in with the cool kids, $300 is a good price.

If you're interested in listening to music, don't bother. You might as well buy a $300 jacket and pretend that it plays music.

There are great headphones that cost $300 or less. But don't expect them to be status symbols, except to a small number of headphone geeks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back