How much a good Amp will improve the sound quality of Mass Drop HD58X
Sep 28, 2019 at 12:00 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

RichardL111183

New Head-Fier
Hi All,

I'm a new member to this community, and don't have much knowledge in audio.

I just gotten myself the HD58X (150 Ohm), and currently just driving it with my Gigabytes H370N WIFI MB. It can get loud to the extend of becoming a mini speakers from 30/100 onward in windows. I'm also getting ear fatigue after listening iTunes on it at 2/100 windows volume after a short period of time. I feel pain in my eardrum.
  1. I'm wondering will a good external amp boost the sound quality at this point since I clearly have no volume issue.
  2. I read some articles said that even though the volume can get very loud, there are certain regions in the frequency range need external amp to get it to its max potential, since the impedance fluctuates along the frequency range. Is this true?
Please excuse me if I used any wrong terminologies. I'm a newbie.

Thanks guys.

Sep 28, 2019 at 12:43 AM Post #2 of 9
Hi All,

I just gotten myself the HD58X (150 Ohm), and currently just driving it with my Gigabytes H370N WIFI MB. It can get loud to the extend of becoming a mini speakers from 30/100 onward in windows. I'm also getting ear fatigue after listening iTunes on it at 2/100 windows volume after a short period of time. I feel pain in my eardrum.
  1. I'm wondering will a good external amp boost the sound quality at this point since I clearly have no volume issue.
  2. I read some articles said that even though the volume can get very loud, there are certain regions in the frequency range need external amp to get it to its max potential, since the impedance fluctuates along the frequency range. Is this true?

Thanks guys.

Since there isn't even a good measurement graph for distortion and power output of that board it's hard to guess at how much improvement there might be, let alone whether that will be perceptible to you. It might be perceptible to others, and most of us here wouldn't use anything less than higher tier Z/X-chip boards to begin with (and even then we'd take into account the VRM and GUI when buying them, considering you can get a soundcard, but even mounting server fans won't help a crap 4-phase for which you can't even buy a full cover block for).

Best guess? If you can get it that loud but it sucks and specifically that it hurts your ears but not outright totally distorted, it can be a bit smoother at close to or maybe even in some cases, still slightly smoother at that same output level. Even that's not a sure thing since some of that could be coming from the response of the headphone drivers themselves, or even how tight you wear them.

Sep 28, 2019 at 1:06 AM Post #3 of 9
Sep 29, 2019 at 7:13 PM Post #4 of 9
Since there isn't even a good measurement graph for distortion and power output of that board it's hard to guess at how much improvement there might be, let alone whether that will be perceptible to you. It might be perceptible to others, and most of us here wouldn't use anything less than higher tier Z/X-chip boards to begin with (and even then we'd take into account the VRM and GUI when buying them, considering you can get a soundcard, but even mounting server fans won't help a crap 4-phase for which you can't even buy a full cover block for).

Best guess? If you can get it that loud but it sucks and specifically that it hurts your ears but not outright totally distorted, it can be a bit smoother at close to or maybe even in some cases, still slightly smoother at that same output level. Even that's not a sure thing since some of that could be coming from the response of the headphone drivers themselves, or even how tight you wear them.
Thanks for the input

Sep 29, 2019 at 7:19 PM Post #5 of 9
Hi All,

Thanks guys.
You have no volume issues. What else do you want ?

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2019 at 7:22 PM Post #6 of 9
Amps can make a massive difference on some headphone,and on other headphones,not so much. When you read of a headphone that 'scales well',like the HD6xx,for example. This means that the better the amp,the better the headphone will sound.
Other headphones however sound pretty much the same regardless how high up the quality level your amp is.
I havent heard the 58x,so I cant say in which camp it falls,but if a headphone's frequencies are hurting your ears,im not sure a better amp will help that much. You might need different headphones.

Sep 29, 2019 at 7:24 PM Post #7 of 9
Stop what you are doing.

Sep 29, 2019 at 7:26 PM Post #8 of 9
Sorry they just need to stop.

Sep 29, 2019 at 7:59 PM Post #9 of 9

Users who are viewing this thread

Back