How Many Times Have Your LCD3 Headphones Been Returned to Audeze for Servicing (RMA)?
Apr 16, 2017 at 11:35 PM Post #481 of 560
  When one of the drivers die, do they replace both drivers or just the dead one ?
I hope they would replace both. I don't want to live with a countness hours burn in driver and a brand new driver in the same can.

Does the driver issue also happen on LCD2 ?

​Both drivers are always replaced. Drivers need to be matched for FR and updated to the latest FR. A driver failed on my LCD-XC also which uses the same driver as LCD-X. Turned out to be a blessing for me since the 2016 revision sounds so much better.

Others will disagree but judging by the decreased traffic of this thread and the overall less pissed-off tone, there are fewer LCD-3 failures than 1 year ago. But those of us who have stuck with Audeze after multiple failures, are true Audeze fans in spite of our bitter complaining.

Jun 26, 2017 at 9:56 PM Post #482 of 560
Sigh looks like the left driver of my LCD 3 is dead. I bought them second hand and they are 2015 drivers. Still under warranty for under a year, so I emailed them today. Hopefully the new drivers will fix the issue.

Jun 27, 2017 at 8:30 AM Post #483 of 560
Both drivers are always replaced. Drivers need to be matched for FR and updated to the latest FR. A driver failed on my LCD-XC also which uses the same driver as LCD-X. Turned out to be a blessing for me since the 2016 revision sounds so much better.

Others will disagree but judging by the decreased traffic of this thread and the overall less pissed-off tone, there are fewer LCD-3 failures than 1 year ago. But those of us who have stuck with Audeze after multiple failures, are true Audeze fans in spite of our bitter complaining.

I had my LCD-X repaired once and it sounded better past this fix. Bought 'em early 2015 or so and got em repaired somewhere in November 2016.

Forza AudioWorks Stay updated on Forza AudioWorks at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://forzaaudioworks.com/en
Aug 6, 2017 at 3:25 AM Post #484 of 560
Have anyone had volume mismatch issues? I just purchased a pair of LCD-X second hand today - excellent sounding headphones they are, and the seller was extremely friendly! However, after listening to the headphones for a longer time at home, I think the left channel has a slightly lower volume than the right channel. This happens across balanced cable, imbalanced cable, and multiple amps. After playing with some software correction, I think the left channel is around 2dB lower than right.

Not sure whether the headphones are still under warranty, so I've sent an inquiry to Audeze. I also want to see if you guys have any opinions on this. In my Google searches I see people reporting many kinds of driver issues for Audeze headphones, but volume mismatch seems to be an uncommon one.

p.s. The seller was selling all his headphones because he's developing hearing issues on one ear, he can't listen to headphones anymore... Completely understandable that he didn't catch this imbalance.

Aug 6, 2017 at 12:46 PM Post #485 of 560
Have anyone had volume mismatch issues? I just purchased a pair of LCD-X second hand today - excellent sounding headphones they are, and the seller was extremely friendly! However, after listening to the headphones for a longer time at home, I think the left channel has a slightly lower volume than the right channel. This happens across balanced cable, imbalanced cable, and multiple amps. After playing with some software correction, I think the left channel is around 2dB lower than right.

Not sure whether the headphones are still under warranty, so I've sent an inquiry to Audeze. I also want to see if you guys have any opinions on this. In my Google searches I see people reporting many kinds of driver issues for Audeze headphones, but volume mismatch seems to be an uncommon one.

p.s. The seller was selling all his headphones because he's developing hearing issues on one ear, he can't listen to headphones anymore... Completely understandable that he didn't catch this imbalance.
It's rare but there was at least one volume mismatch issue that Audeze repaired under warranty, don't ask me to find it though. Audeze has always had this repeatability issue, that is why they must do driver matching during final assembly. Probably all LCD-X are still under warranty, they haven't been around more than 3 years I believe.

Aug 6, 2017 at 6:29 PM Post #486 of 560
It's rare but there was at least one volume mismatch issue that Audeze repaired under warranty, don't ask me to find it though. Audeze has always had this repeatability issue, that is why they must do driver matching during final assembly. Probably all LCD-X are still under warranty, they haven't been around more than 3 years I believe.
I saw articles regarding LCD-X dating back as far as late 2013, so I think the earliest adopters already have theirs for more than 3 years! I don't know when this pair was purchased, I guess that's verifiable with Audeze, so I'll hopefully know by Monday.

Thanks for verifying that there was at least an instance of volume mismatch before, don't have to find the post, I trust the memory recollection. I thought I was going crazy for thinking that the soundstage seemed to be skewed to the right side! I guess if the headphones are still under warranty, I only have to pay for shipping to their facilities? (I'm in Canada)

Last edited:
Aug 6, 2017 at 9:00 PM Post #487 of 560
I saw articles regarding LCD-X dating back as far as late 2013, so I think the earliest adopters already have theirs for more than 3 years! I don't know when this pair was purchased, I guess that's verifiable with Audeze, so I'll hopefully know by Monday.

Thanks for verifying that there was at least an instance of volume mismatch before, don't have to find the post, I trust the memory recollection. I thought I was going crazy for thinking that the soundstage seemed to be skewed to the right side! I guess if the headphones are still under warranty, I only have to pay for shipping to their facilities? (I'm in Canada)
Audeze always pays for return shipping for warranty repairs. You may be able to avoid paying for shipping TO Audeze if you go through a Canadian Audeze dealer. Very rarely Audeze has paid for shipping to their facility, wouldn't hurt to ask I guess, but I personally always paid. Costs about $50 US including insurance for me.

Dec 22, 2017 at 9:51 PM Post #488 of 560
This thread references a Head-Fi thread that started when Audeze quoted an LCD3 owner $800 to fix his out-of-warranty driver failure. That thread was closely monitored by Audeze and eventually caused them to modify their policy concerning warranty details and out-of-warranty cost. I don't know if Audeze will be responding to this thread, but it is worth repeating here, Audeze's response to the previous thread:

Given recent feedback here on Head-Fi Audeze has decided to modify the warranty policy for replacement drivers.

•Drivers are warranted everywhere in the world for 3 years. (If you plug them into a wall socket, go scuba diving with them or go mad scientist on them, they won’t be covered!)
•We’ll evaluate the drivers and proceed on a case-by-case basis.
•If replaced under warranty (or paid for out of warranty) the new drivers will then be warranted for a further 3 years globally.
•When we replace drivers, either in or out of warranty, we install the latest models with all enhancements included such as Fazor elements.
•If you live outside the USA and you purchased Audeze headphones from one of our local dealers/distributors you can send them to your country’s authorized Audeze distributor for service.
•If you purchased your headphones directly from Audeze you can obtain warranty service from Audeze USA but not your local dealer/distributor.
•The prices for driver replacements have been revised.
•The LCD-3 is $375, the LCD-X/XC is $325, and the LCD-2 is now $250

It's worth pointing out that one of the reasons for the greater cost of driver replacement is that Audeze replaces both drivers even if only one is defective. We do that so both are matched for best performance. We don’t know of any other manufacturer that goes to these lengths to be certain you have the best product possible.

If you have difficulty obtaining the full 3-year warranty coverage outside the USA contact Support@Audeze.com and we'll make sure you're covered.

We appreciate your feedback, it helps us to keep building our world-class products.
Audeze

Dec 23, 2017 at 3:26 AM Post #489 of 560
Sorry about post #488. I accidentally posted it and I could not delete it.

I bought Audeze XC 25 June 2016 in Singapore. Used it here at least 3 hours everyday driven by Bose companion connected to PC. Mainly for youtube, tidal/spotify streaming. Took real good care of this XC with moderate listening volume.
Left driver died on May 2017. I was lucky that my earcups are still under warranty (1 year). I was absolutely upset to learn that both earcups have peeled "leather" near the wood in less than one year of usage. So, i got new earcups FOC and new set of drivers (left + right) after one week. Seemed to sound better than original driver IMO.
Left driver died again 20 Dec 2017! I was lucky that local distributor offers extremely good service and fast response. But i'm not sure if they would still smile if i RMA the XC for > 5 times though.

Update:
Got my XC back on 27 Dec 2017. Was told that both drivers are replaced. Warranty ends after 3 years from date of purchase. After warranty, have to pay for new drivers and they are only warranted for one year. :frowning2:

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2018 at 2:28 PM Post #490 of 560
I only came to this thread to voice some disappointment, and confirm that driver failures on recent models are still an issue. Here's my story:

I haven't had 3 + failures, but I can say I have owned a LOT of different headphones (20+ models, 12+ brands) at different price points for various types of listening. I have owned most of these for 3 years plus and never experienced a driver failure, EXCEPT with the most expensive pair I have ever owned - the LCD-XC's that I've owned 6 months as of today. I won't be back to the Audeze brand. 2k for headphones that seem to last 6 months on average is not my idea of a good purchase.

Jan 24, 2018 at 3:09 PM Post #491 of 560
I only came to this thread to voice some disappointment, and confirm that driver failures on recent models are still an issue. Here's my story:

I haven't had 3 + failures, but I can say I have owned a LOT of different headphones (20+ models, 12+ brands) at different price points for various types of listening. I have owned most of these for 3 years plus and never experienced a driver failure, EXCEPT with the most expensive pair I have ever owned - the LCD-XC's that I've owned 6 months as of today. I won't be back to the Audeze brand. 2k for headphones that seem to last 6 months on average is not my idea of a good purchase.

Actually, things seem to have improved greatly at Audeze regarding failures (knocking on wood...) with the introduction of the latest drivers, at least judging by the reduced activity on this thread and others. Do you know the exact production date on your XCs? Have you tried other cables, amps, and headphones, just to confirm it's the XC with the issue?

That aside, if they are only 6 months old, they should still be covered under warranty, so Audeze will repair them with new drivers if you contact their support group.

Jan 24, 2018 at 9:13 PM Post #492 of 560

My LCD-XC driver failed and for once it was actually a good thing, because Audeze replaced the not-so-good 2014 drivers with the new, tuned 2016 drivers, under warranty. The difference in sound was night and day, a total improvement. If you bought the LCD-XC used with the 2014 drivers, and they are still under warranty, consider yourself lucky. If you have new headphones, at least they are still under warranty.

That said, my LCD-3 is currently in the shop for the third time due to driver failure. On the bright side, even though the headphones are 5 years old, Audeze is fixing them for free because it has been less than 3 years since they fixed them the last time. Also, I will be replacing my 2014 drivers with the newly-voiced 2016 drivers, which I am looking forward to owning.

On the not-so-bright side, $2000 headphones shouldn't break at all. That is why I added the LCD-XC because I read the drivers didn't break, now I know all Audeze headphones are likely to break. It is only a matter of time. That is why I didn't upgrade to LCD-4, because they are failing as well, quite often in fact.

The big question is, am I willing to pay the big bucks to fix my headphones when they break out of warranty? Last I heard the going rate for LCD-3 driver replacement was $600. That would make a nice down payment on the new Clears. I hate to see what they will charge to replace LCD-4 drivers. It feels like a ransom to me, pay if you want your headphones back.

Jan 24, 2018 at 10:51 PM Post #493 of 560
Although im no longer int he audeze camp, i've continued to monitor this thread. Such a shame that in 2018 folks are still having to repair their cans.

My HEK, Utopia, and Abyss has failed 0 times.

Enjoying life with working headphones.

P.S. @Sweetmeat you still at it man? what count are you at now?

Jan 24, 2018 at 11:32 PM Post #494 of 560
Although im no longer int he audeze camp, i've continued to monitor this thread. Such a shame that in 2018 folks are still having to repair their cans.

My HEK, Utopia, and Abyss has failed 0 times.

Enjoying life with working headphones.

P.S. @Sweetmeat you still at it man? what count are you at now?

Nice to hear from you sir I believe you set the record at 5 LCD-3 failures. I bow to your strength of character.

I'm nothing like that only 3 failures for my LCD-3. Last set lasted almost 3 years. Also purchased a LCD-XC which failed once (so far).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back