how many people in this forum have 7506?
Sep 22, 2003 at 5:33 AM Post #16 of 33
I've got a Denon AH-D950 which is voiced similarly to the 7506, does that count?
tongue.gif

Actually, I heard a pair (7506) at a recent meet, and liked the sound a lot... would have gotten a pair if it weren't for my Denons. I still haven't heard anything better with guitar rock than the AH-D950 (early Rush is pure eargasm)... and they convinced me that headphones *can* go as low as a subwoofer while avoiding all semblance of muddiness. I've hallucinated the physical sensation of deep bass many times with my Denon cans, up to and including a feeling that the ground was shaking beneath my feet.

Wish I'd listened to those 7506s a bit longer at the aforementioned meet... a few seconds was enough for a strong "I like it" impression, wonder what 15 minutes would have done?
biggrin.gif

Sep 22, 2003 at 6:16 AM Post #17 of 33
I have several. At one point (long before I was heavy into Head-Fi), I was going to have a headphone listening party. I think I have like 4 or 5 in various places. Most are 7506's, one is V6. (At least, I think that's how it works -- one is pro, the rest are consumer.)

Sep 22, 2003 at 7:52 AM Post #18 of 33
My mom's V6 is close to 20 years old. The pads are shot (flat and flaky) but otherwise it's still going strong. No surprise since they're built like tanks.
cool.gif

I have no problem recommending them to people either.. not only are they easily driven, nigh-indestructable, reasonably comfortable (for most people) and compact enough to wear without looking too silly, but the smiley EQ sound and visceral HOLY****BASS will appeal to many people, while the quality and depth of the bass and the detailed highs show them what they've been missing with cheaper headphones.

There are few things more fun than slapping a V6 on an unbeliever's head and watching the smile creep over his face.. or recommending one to someone, only to have them get it and then say something like "whoa, these are better than my speakers!"
biggrin.gif

Sep 22, 2003 at 4:42 PM Post #20 of 33
I have a pair of 7506s with the suoer-comfy Beyer velour pads. That one, simple upgrade really does a lot for an already fabulous headphone.

That said, I find I use my Grado SR60s quite a lot more, as to my ears, they are more involving. As Bong mentioned, I think it is the slight midrange dip that takes away a bit of the excitement for me. In the not-to-distant future, I would like to invest in a MAD Ear++ to use as a pre/headamp. I am hoping that this particular amp may pair very favourably with the Sonys and inject a little bit more life into that midrange.
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 22, 2003 at 4:48 PM Post #21 of 33
Since I love my 7506 so much I just had to plug it into my meta42 again last night. OMG, the bass from these phones are just unreal. Its so deep and tight and I just love them. I love the bass of the 7506 more than my MS-1.
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 22, 2003 at 4:52 PM Post #22 of 33
2 pairs here...used mostly for the home studio, but sometimes, when i'm feeling naughty, i plug 'em into my dej-2000, and depending on the disc, i might even use mb setting 1 (a bit tooo much low/mid, but i can live with it). it's a fun ride.

kell

Sep 24, 2003 at 8:39 AM Post #27 of 33
Ok, I really want to get a pair now. Pity they don't sell the 7506s for less than AUD$200 here, or the V6s at all.
frown.gif

Sep 24, 2003 at 6:37 PM Post #29 of 33
I have a V6/7506 myself.

But somehow, I just couldn't get into those 'phones. It's the upper bass/lower midrange recession and the slight exaggeration of the upper midrange through mid-treble response that gave me the impression that these headphones were closed 'Gratos' - and I really mean Gratos, not just Grados. That means that the V6/7506 sounds harsh, especially with crappy recordings on crappy sources.

My personal preference for sound quality these days is a slightly bloated upper bass/lower midrange response (most of the other Sony V-series 'phones overdo that region by a considerable amount, IMHO) with less grating highs than what the V6/7506 delivers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back