How many pairs of Headphones did you purchase before you found "The one"?
Jan 18, 2014 at 6:14 AM Post #16 of 38
First I just wanted the best equipment possible. After a while it turned out to be a drag and stressful constantly looking for upgrades even when I just bought new phones. I'm a closed back guy so went the route to purchase my first Hifi closed backs the Mad Dogs. After getting better equipment I again started to look for that upgrade so demoed some Hifi phones like the LCD2 TH900 and more mixtures of closed and open.

I realized something, Midfi easy to drive headphones sound just as good and requires less equipment! So away with Hifi and now my main phone are my Denon D600! I'm no longer looking for upgrades and instead looking for a portable side grade to complete my collection.

This hobby is about enjoyment and these phones gave me something I've been missing.

Jan 18, 2014 at 11:49 AM Post #17 of 38
It never ends... I've been doing this since 2005. I don't ever expect it to end. Have yet to try HD800s or T1s or SR009s, but I'm pretty happy with what I have now. Just bought a pair of Alpha Dogs to try out. I'm going to see if they're good enough for me to put up my Thunderpants for sale.

You've been on Headfi for nine years and you have 677 posts. Awesome! I'd trust your opinion over someone that has been on two years with 12K posts... likely lots of fluff posts.

I've been using headphones almost daily since 1994, but only recently got into higher end stuff. My journey has gone like this:

Ultrasone HFI2400: Mids too recessed, piercing highs, too digital sounding, abysmal comfort... sold

Grado SR325is: Sounded great except for piercing highs and extreme fatigue, comfort average... sold

Sennheiser Amerior: Sounded great, smashed my ears after an hour of listening... sold

Fostex T50rp modded: I like the way they sound, and then I don't so I open them back up. Then I like them, then I don't so I open them back up. It started out as kind of fun, but wore on my patience, so I use them occasionally if I want a planar magnetic sound, but meh, they infuriate me. I'll probably keep tinkering with them out of frustration until either I die or they die.

Sennheiser HD600: Heavenly, I will never give them up.

Beyerdynamic DT770 32ohm: Bought as travel headphones. They do the job, but aren't my favorite. I will likely keep them.

Sennheiser PX-100ii: I like them for portable open use. They sound great and are comfortable. Definitely keepers, but not quite up there with HD600.

AKG K712: Nice balanced sound, if slightly fatiguing. I got these recently and like them a lot so far.

I'm done buying headphones. Really, I am. Seriously. Don't ask my wife her opinion because she'll tell you I'm lying. What she doesn't know is that I've found the key to not buying more... STOP READING ABOUT HEADPHONES I DON'T OWN. I want to blow my cash on other cool stuff like guns, hunting gear, music, and band shirts. And amps. And headpho... never mind.

Jan 18, 2014 at 12:53 PM Post #19 of 38
My first headphone was an AKG 240. Than AKG 501, I did not like them. None of them were really comfortable and I felt that they had a boring sound. Than I bought a sony mdr-f1. I still have this. It is light and supercomfortable and especially in summer the only one headphone which allows good ventillation due to open design. Fairly good sound. Next headphone was an Audio Technica Sovereign for travels. Fairly good, although not too much bass. I still have this. Next headphone Sennheiser HD 650 with O2 amp. This I did like very much, Due to family issues also I used a lot and headpone became my primary means of enjoying music. Next stage: upgradatis. I was thinking to buy a Sennheiser HD 800. I almost bought as it seemed a substantial upgrade compared to HD650. By chance, I had the opportunity to hear a Stax 404 anniversary edition driven by 727. This combo had such a sweeping and natural sound, that I changed my mind and decided to buy stax. By chance, came an opportunity to get an stax sr-x 3 in exchange for non used hi-fi gear. Sr-x 3 turned out to be a very good headphone for me. I sold the HD 650.No question, lambda family has a better soundstage. I may buy later one of the lambdas or omega.

Jan 18, 2014 at 1:15 PM Post #20 of 38
I started on the lower range of things, with MDR-V6s.  Way too uncomfortable.  Returned them and bought ATH-A700s.  Since then I've been through about 70 different pairs (see profile).  I don't know if I'll ever be seriously content with headphones in my price range (currently sub-$500), but I do enjoy trying different headphones.  I may not have a destination, but I'm on a heck of a journey:).

Jan 18, 2014 at 11:37 PM Post #21 of 38

@campj I try not to contribute too much fluff. Although, I'm not going to lie... not all of my posts are purely informational.

The one thing I've learned with headphones is that each pair has it's own highlights and downsides even in the high end. Other things I've learned and are pure opinion... cables don't really matter. DACs and the headphones themselves matter the most. Amps are highly important, but I find they don't affect the sound as much. If you match the amp to your cans ie an amp with a good amount of current for low impedance phones or an amp with a lot of voltage to drive high impedance cans then you're pretty much good to go. Go for a hybrid tube amp and you should be set for a while. They have a good amount of both current and voltage gain. The bottom line is its fun to acquire and enjoy many types of cans for all of your musical tastes. So that's where I'd rather spend my hard earned cold cash.

Jan 19, 2014 at 5:16 AM Post #22 of 38
My journey:

AudioTechnica M50 -> Sennheiser HD598 -> HD700 -> Beyerdynamic T90 -> Hifiman HE-500 -> HD800

Currently with my chain, I'm quite satisfied with the HD800. Have no desire to upgrade, but maybe that's cuz anything significantly better would cost $3000 or more. I guess for me it's more about upgrading my amp for the HD800 since many people say you need a really expensive amp to get the most out of the HD800, but right now I'm quite satisfied with my Bottlehead Quickie and Crack combo.

Jan 19, 2014 at 6:30 AM Post #23 of 38
  My journey:

AudioTechnica M50 -> Sennheiser HD598 -> HD700 -> Beyerdynamic T90 -> Hifiman HE-500 -> HD800

Currently with my chain, I'm quite satisfied with the HD800. Have no desire to upgrade, but maybe that's cuz anything significantly better would cost $3000 or more. I guess for me it's more about upgrading my amp for the HD800 since many people say you need a really expensive amp to get the most out of the HD800, but right now I'm quite satisfied with my Bottlehead Quickie and Crack combo.

That escalated quickly:).

Jan 19, 2014 at 6:38 AM Post #24 of 38

That escalated quickly:).

Over the course of 8 months might I add.
tongue.gif

Jan 19, 2014 at 6:43 AM Post #25 of 38
I have a red pair of ATH-M50's and I am still impressed by them. $129 and I feel like a king. I'm pretty sure you guys are listening to music in the wrong way or something. I mean come on, if I had a pair of HD800's I wouldn't leave my room or sleep for days.

Jan 19, 2014 at 6:49 AM Post #26 of 38
  I have a red pair of ATH-M50's and I am still impressed by them. $129 and I feel like a king. I'm pretty sure you guys are listening to music in the wrong way or something. I mean come on, if I had a pair of HD800's I wouldn't leave my room or sleep for days.

It's 6:49 AM here. Been averaging 5 hours of sleep a night on weeknights since I got these.

Jan 19, 2014 at 6:52 AM Post #27 of 38

It's 6:49 AM here. Been averaging 5 hours of sleep a night on weeknights since I got these.

Studies show that a lack of sleep increases your emotional response to stressors by 60%. Lucky.

Jan 19, 2014 at 10:23 AM Post #28 of 38

Studies show that a lack of sleep increases your emotional response to stressors by 60%. Lucky.

I'm an insomniac (really) and this seems about right to me, for good or bad (bad at work). Life is boring when you sleep well... Least thats what I tell myself ha

Also, I don't think it matters how long it takes you to find an hp you are happy with. 8 months or 8 years. Only, once you reach the summit... Theres nowhere else to go!

Jan 19, 2014 at 10:31 AM Post #29 of 38
  I'm an insomniac (really) and this seems about right to me, for good or bad (bad at work). Life is boring when you sleep well... Least thats what I tell myself ha

Also, I don't think it matters how long it takes you to find an hp you are happy with. 8 months or 8 years. Only, once you reach the summit... Theres nowhere else to go!

I'm more of a night person so when I do stay up, I always end up making it to about 9 AM before I get oh so tired. Then I fight it. Insomnia must suck though, I get very stressed when I don't sleep, I end up getting red rashes all over the top of my hands that make me look like some type of reptile haha. I learned the hard way. I sleep good now. Marijuana my friend.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back