how many of you play computer games
Jun 9, 2002 at 8:20 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 84

Ken

100+ Head-Fier
I have to admit after 2 years I still play quake3 , It was the reason I updated my computer with large screen and external sound system and heaps of memory.
At my age Im still a big kid still playing quake3
biggrin.gif

can anyone suggest what my next game should be after quake????

Jun 9, 2002 at 9:48 AM Post #2 of 84
You might want to wait and get unreal tourny 2003 when it comes out later this year (hopefully!) Otherwise get the original Unreal Tournament (should be less than the us equivalent of £10!) Quake 4 may also be out later this year!

Medal of Honor Allied Assault, Star Trek Voyager:Elite Force and Star Wars Jedi knight II all use the quake III engine so may be worthwhile checking them out.

If you want a team based online game then get your self a copy of halflife and then download the Counter-strike mod (very different from Quake but highly addictive if you get into it.)

Don't worry bout the age thing I'm 30 and have a pc (that I'm just about to upgrade!)Gamecube and GBA!!!

Jun 9, 2002 at 6:30 PM Post #4 of 84
Ken, I'm in the same boat: still playing a 1999 game (Unreal Tournament). Doom 3 will be technologically the most advanced but UT2003 will be out sooner (I hope) and will have more emphasis on teamplay, if that's your bag.

I'm playing Baldur's Gate 2 currently--a REALLY long game. Other popular games out or soon to be released which I'm thinking of checking out are Soldier of Fortune 2, Morrowind, Neverwinter Nights, and in the strategy genre Master of Orion 3.

Jun 9, 2002 at 6:33 PM Post #5 of 84
If you've never played it, you should get the original Unreal if you want a single player game...absolutely awesome...I'm still finding new things in the game even after almost 3 years of playing.

There are few Unreal multiplayer DM servers out there nowadays, but that's where I play exclusively. UT cannot compare to the original.

Jun 9, 2002 at 6:36 PM Post #6 of 84
Never really like Unreal, I am more of a Quake man myself. Half Life is awsome though, like you are in a movie. Just got System Shock 2, supposed to be better hen Half life, I guess I'll see. But from the latest games, medal of Honor, Jedi 2 are the best of the bunch. Think Saving Private Ryan, and using a light sabers to deflect laser pistols!

Jun 9, 2002 at 8:59 PM Post #7 of 84
Quote:

Originally posted by raymondlin
Just got System Shock 2, supposed to be better hen Half life, I guess I'll see.

Ohhh, that is an awesome game. That was the first time that I have actually been really scared while playing a game. Play it at night in a dark room with headphones, and there will be many times when you will not want to go into the next door but you don't want to stop playing. The virus's voice (forget the name of it) is spooky too, you can hear it in the opening cinematic.

I now must find that cd and play it again, look what you've done! I havn't played computer games in over five months, I thought i had broken the addiction.

Jun 9, 2002 at 9:21 PM Post #9 of 84
I finally picked up Rainbow Six Rogue Spear as it was dirt cheap (I don't buy games unless they're cheaper than a CD). very cool, very frustrating! specially recon mission are a pain in the butt. but the satisfaction after finishing a mission, the moments your heart is banging out of your chest, the perfect kill (three between the eyes), they make up for it tho! I am sooo stuck at mission 12 tho, crap that ones difficult.

Jun 9, 2002 at 9:26 PM Post #10 of 84
hi guys

lets see.....

i play quake 3...unreal tourny..oni ...heavy metal fakk 2....jdk 2....tony hawk pro skater 2 (better with a group)...i still play giants....oh and half-life rules...especially CS and Firearms.....of course....i don't play games as much as i used to....no more Duct Net.....

ray

Jun 9, 2002 at 10:11 PM Post #11 of 84
For those who enjoy tactical shooters, Global Operations is the way to go. Much superior in realism to counterstrike which I thought was inferior to even the DoD mod at the time I tried it.

Jun 9, 2002 at 10:29 PM Post #12 of 84
Quote:

CaptBubba said...

Ohhh, that is an awesome game. That was the first time that I have actually been really scared while playing a game. Play it at night in a dark room with headphones, and there will be many times when you will not want to go into the next door but you don't want to stop playing. The virus's voice (forget the name of it) is spooky too, you can hear it in the opening cinematic.

Seconded. System Shock 2 is on my top five list of best PC games ever. Outstanding job of telling a story, creating a truly suspenseful mood, and providing multiple ways of accomplishing goals. Those spiders scared the crap outta me... nothing I hate more than jumping spiders, especially w/ that horrifying noise they make.

Funny experience I remember in the first level... I couldn't see the security camera in a room, so it went off and I went scrambling back to the control room to shut it off. On the way back, I looked every which way for hybrids, but miraculously didn't see any. So I made it back to the control room and turned off the alarm. I sat there for a moment, breathed a sigh of relief, started to turn around and... I SSSSSEEEEEEEEE YOUUUUU AUUGGHHHHPANICPANICPANIC!!!
eek.gif
eek.gif
A freakin' hybrid had snuck up right beside me and waited until I turned around to start screaming and attacking me. I didn't sleep well that night.
frown.gif

What was your preferred upgrade strategy? Personally, I was pretty lethal after maxing out my melee combat and psionic skills.

Jun 9, 2002 at 11:26 PM Post #13 of 84
I only just installed it now, can't relly play it until tomorrow night, just tried a cheat to get a weapon. But instead of a Laser pistol, I summoned a Laser turret and it killed me! Isn't there no GOD mode to this? !!!!

And I've read loads of comments that system shock 2 is one of the best PC games of all tiime, that is some achievement considering the amount of PC games there are out there!

Jun 9, 2002 at 11:49 PM Post #14 of 84
thanks for all the responces people , I was going to say guys
biggrin.gif
but I should not assume we are all guys.
I find that unless the game has the quality in vision of quake3 I just cant get in to it. On the other hand Unreal tounament and half life look excellent but I just get more into the game with the realism of Quake 3
When I first saw quake , I was told that it could be seen in more detail / clearer on the screen if the Video card was better. So I enquired , oh I see a gforce from Asus ! how much $660AUST. Now I can watch in 1600x1200 and have great frame rate ect ect. But the Screen is too small . So I enquired about a Hitachi 21" Monitor ! , How much $2300 AUST. Very nice.
Then the sound card , followed by external dac +amp+sub woofer and speaker system. OH! and last of all a fast pentium.
Dont ask how much because I dont know , its a rolling project , Im on my thrid sound card [recomended thru this forum]
After you get a system this good some games look a little
frown.gif
plain.
So any recomendations of great looking and great gameplay games. So after 2 or so years its still quake 3 every day or nearly every day. remember some games can take just 7 minutes

Jun 9, 2002 at 11:50 PM Post #15 of 84
Quote:

raymondlin said...

I only just installed it now, can't relly play it until tomorrow night, just tried a cheat to get a weapon. But instead of a Laser pistol, I summoned a Laser turret and it killed me! Isn't there no GOD mode to this? !!!!

Don't cheat. It'll ruin the atmosphere of the game if you know your character will always be safe or have superior firepower. Just save often.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back