How many of you make/have tried to make music?
Nov 10, 2008 at 1:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

LingLing1337

CAUTION INCOMPLETE TRADES
I know we are all huge music freaks here, but how many of us are musicians or make music for fun? Besides dabbling in FruityLoops and the acoustic guitar, I wouldn't consider myself a serious music maker. What about the rest of you guys?

Nov 10, 2008 at 1:30 AM Post #2 of 25
i feel the same as you, ling, but with piano and garageband. there is something more sensual and almost trance-like in playing your own music for me. sometimes i feel like im sleepwalking when im playing. i also feel that when listening to sound that i myself am producing, live, my hearing becomes more acute.

Nov 10, 2008 at 1:34 AM Post #3 of 25
I've been writing songs for over 30 years. Some are pretty good. Some aren't. Been on stage, had a performance art/music group, Studio Quatorze. We enjoyed our obscurity. Recently, I rekindled my song writing talents for a short science fiction musical that I made as part of a class project with students. We were an official selection at the 2008 Venango Digital Film Festival. On the night we had our premier, we were annihilated by a documentary on quilt making. We are enjoying our obsurity.

Realizing that I was not driven to be a singer/songwriter nor a film maker and that I only had a modicum of talent, I finished my education and found a nice day job where I could, on occasion, find an excuse to write/play music.

By the way, in our film, Shhhh...!a pair of Grado 325i's have a starring role in the first scene. We are debating on whether to upload the film to You Tube. There are some legal matters to deal with, such as, signed consents.

Nov 10, 2008 at 1:39 AM Post #4 of 25
hobbyist music player/maker here

been messing around with guitar for 14 years...I'm not very good but it is fun

Just starting to get around to recording some of my stuff

Nov 10, 2008 at 1:44 AM Post #5 of 25
I made electronic music from 1997 to 2007. Remixed a few tracks by obscure, but known people in the UK also (got a nice comment from someone at the BBC). Been aired on CBC Radio 2 a few times... This picture shows the apogee of what my setup was, back then (taken in 2005 iirc). Like the others, made some great stuff, and some not-so great stuff, but all them songs have a special place in my heart
smily_headphones1.gif

equipment1.jpg

I eventually sold (almost) everything when I made the switch to a software-only setup.

Nov 10, 2008 at 3:40 AM Post #7 of 25
Had a rock band when I was younger, I dabble now and then. Always got those ideas in the back of my head that someday I may have time to get out.

Nov 10, 2008 at 4:47 AM Post #8 of 25
I play in a church music team, mostly saxophone, sometimes flute or clarinet when I'm in the mood, and once I almost need to play the piano when no other musicians is around. Attempted trumpet/cornet, bass, guitar, harmonica and violin but didn't go deep into them. Also played frech horn and euphonium when I was in the school band.

Nov 10, 2008 at 5:33 AM Post #10 of 25
i'm pretty good at rockband
kidding

really, i'm just one step above that
i play guitar, chords mainly, and sing
not that good at either
and i can't make an original chord progression or line of lyric to save my life

Nov 10, 2008 at 6:01 AM Post #11 of 25
When I was a small child, I used to love making music on my parent's piano.
icon10.gif

Nov 10, 2008 at 6:38 AM Post #12 of 25
I was in a band in the early 90s, we were somewhat sub-legendary locally, but in hindsight there wasn't anything special about us.
Only thing to note: we had two roadies commit suicide in the five years we were gigging (and no, we weren't that bad or satanists!).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back