how many of you guys cook???
Nov 17, 2012 at 1:29 PM Post #1,831 of 3,876
Pretty sure Grokit's a veggie guy... 

I went meat-free the first six months of the year because of a health issue, and have since re-introduced meat to my diet but much more selectively. I'm integrating my knowledge as an ex-spa chef with Old Testament dietary standards (cloven hooves, fin & scale fish, no swine or webbed feet, etc.). Mostly wild salmon, bison/buffalo, and venison if I can find it. I like to eat moose but the local ones like to dine on the rail corridor where the worst herbicides are used. Too bad they're so toxic around here because otherwise moose is the most nutritious red meat on the planet, and it's very tasty.

I made some lox two weeks ago and now I have begun to pickle the fish.
Pickling the salmon. It should be ready in 3 days.

That looks awesome, I would definitely eat that! I used to make a pretty decent gravlax...

What kind of red peppers are they?

Looks like a habanero to me.

House smelled amazing when baking these cardamom scented petit palmiers. Cardamom's light citrusy and woody aroma mixed with buttery caramelized sugar.

That sounds awesome. I love cardamom. Drop a couple of pods into a cup of espresso... yum.

X2, I love cardamom-scented sweet treats! I used to make a cashew-cardamom coffee cake...
:beerchug:

Nov 17, 2012 at 1:44 PM Post #1,832 of 3,876
Quote:
 no swine 

No bacon!?  
eek.gif

Nov 17, 2012 at 2:06 PM Post #1,833 of 3,876
I've eaten my share of bacon. There's a lot of toxins in animal fat, more than any other thing we eat.

Not a rant or anything, but I have done a couple of long-term cleansing diets (no animal/dairy products, processed food, refined carbs, etc.). When coming off these diets, the two hardest flavors to get used to again are refined sugar and bacon for some reason. Before bacon gets delicious again it tastes like putting gasoline on your tongue after this kind of cleanse.

I used to forage for wild mushrooms, and that was always the test: Touch it to your tongue and see if it tastes like poison. If it does, it is, just eat the ones that taste like food. So part of it is survival instinct as well.

Nov 17, 2012 at 2:14 PM Post #1,834 of 3,876
Quote:
I used to forage for wild mushrooms, and that was always the test: Touch it to your tongue and see if it tastes like poison. If it does, it is, just eat the ones that taste like food. So part of it is survival instinct as well.

I guess they overstate the danger of mushrooms. I always thought that so much as tasting the more deadly ones was enough to make you very ill, if not kill you. Maybe you can get away with it in areas where you know the worst thing you'll find is something that will just make you sick if you eat the whole thing.

Nov 17, 2012 at 2:26 PM Post #1,835 of 3,876
Well there's certain ones that will warn you visually:

But when I say touch it to your tongue, I mean [COLOR=FF00AA]barely touch it,[/COLOR] especially if you're not sure. The deadly ones will definitely let you know.

Nov 17, 2012 at 3:31 PM Post #1,836 of 3,876
Yeah, if it looks like it came out of Super Mario Bros., it's definitely a good idea to stay clear.

I'll admit that my entire knowledge of mushrooms comes from the various survival shows I've casually watched over the years. Mostly they tell you just don't bother, since mushrooms are tricky. If I was actually planning on going somewhere out in the wild I'd definitely put in the time reading about the area, as well as legitimate survival techniques. Obviously you know your stuff.

Nov 17, 2012 at 3:41 PM Post #1,837 of 3,876
The only other tool that I know of is picture books, they are quite helpful for identification purposes and even better if they're regional. But be prepared to make spore prints because there are many poisonous ones that look quite similar to the edible varieties, which is why the "tongue touch" is so important. For me it's the only fool-proof method.

Nov 17, 2012 at 4:42 PM Post #1,838 of 3,876
ugh... the undefined yet oh-so-evil "toxins," which only seem to be located in food that new-agers and hippies don't like.  only thing dumber than the "toxins" are the "cleansing diets" to get rid of them, which make even less scientific (or even common) sense. 

if your bacon tastes like gasoline, I'd recommend simply avoiding the big-brand factory bacon loaded with REAL toxins, such as nitrites

Quote:
I've eaten my share of bacon. There's a lot of toxins in animal fat, more than any other thing we eat.
Not a rant or anything, but I have done a couple of long-term cleansing diets (no animal/dairy products, processed food, refined carbs, etc.). When coming off these diets, the two hardest flavors to get used to again are refined sugar and bacon for some reason. Before bacon gets delicious again it tastes like putting gasoline on your tongue after this kind of cleanse.

Nov 17, 2012 at 4:55 PM Post #1,839 of 3,876
Fatty toxins are what clog your arteries, for one thing. Animal fat, particularly swine is called out in the old testament as poison for another. And they're quite defined by actual scientific research, which you need to seek out because there are monied interests to protect.

Toxins in general cause cancer by oxidizing our body's cells, which is how we age, by rusting to death. That's why anti-oxidant supplements are so popular, and why our current cancer rates are a relatively modern (post-industrial) phenomenon.

It's more expensive to avoid toxins in our diets, but it's still much cheaper than the medical care required by the diseases that result from ingesting them. It's best to avoid all processed food, but some is much worse than others and it has nothing to do with hippies.

For my condition (peripheral artery disease), the only fixes offered by the medical establishment is stents and statin drugs. Stents are $70K apiece and there's no guarantee that they will be installed in the right place. And statins cause more harm than they cure, their side effects are well-documented. So I prefer to cleanse, when you are trying to remove heavy-metal toxins it's called chelation.

edit: And commercial hog sewage "lagoons" are devastating environmentally, particularly for our atmosphere and our underground aquifers; they pose a "serious public health threat".

Nov 17, 2012 at 4:56 PM Post #1,840 of 3,876
Quote:

Regarding your cleansing diets: Your taste buds are probably more refined because of it.

I've eaten my share of bacon as well, and still do but not as much. It does have this cloying effect on my tongue--even the "clean" bacon from specialty shops and family farms can get a bit too much. I know a few people at work who have done cleansing diets and feel really great after it. I have yet to do that--I don't have that kind of discipline. I used to always drink my vegetable soup with lots of cayenne pepper because I heard cayenne was good for you. Now I put it in my chicken soup as well. If anything, that concoction is spicy comfort in a bowl. :)

By they way, this is an excellent book. My pickled salmon came from here. Jewish Cooking in America.

Nov 18, 2012 at 1:48 PM Post #1,841 of 3,876
Yeah, if it looks like it came out of Super Mario Bros., it's definitely a good idea to stay clear.

I'll admit that my entire knowledge of mushrooms comes from the various survival shows I've casually watched over the years. Mostly they tell you just don't bother, since mushrooms are tricky. If I was actually planning on going somewhere out in the wild I'd definitely put in the time reading about the area, as well as legitimate survival techniques. Obviously you know your stuff.
Pft. You make it sound like being awoken, freezing cold and soaking by the side of an unfamiliar highway isn't a great wasted weekend.

Nov 18, 2012 at 4:32 PM Post #1,842 of 3,876

Pft. You make it sound like being awoken, freezing cold and soaking by the side of an unfamiliar highway isn't a great wasted weekend.

And that sounds like an experience brought on by ingesting semi-poisonous mushrooms :wink_face:

Nov 18, 2012 at 8:18 PM Post #1,843 of 3,876
I had to find a use for the giant leek stalk I had leftover from making leek mac and cheese.  Here is ham, potato, and leek soup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back