how many of you guys cook???
Aug 9, 2012 at 2:03 PM Post #1,561 of 3,876
Aug 10, 2012 at 2:00 AM Post #1,562 of 3,876
Slow simmer in a plastic bag? Good for vacum-packed leftovers I suppose, bag to freezer to cookpot to table with no fuss.

But I prefer to braise in parchment as an alternative when cooking fresh food. You avoid the plastic (bph and other toxins can leach into the food, especially at high temperatures; this can also affect the taste of the food), and can flavor the meal with your cooking liquid (wine, stock, etc). Another good method for slow, moist cooking is a crock pot.

Aug 10, 2012 at 9:02 AM Post #1,563 of 3,876
I love clay pot cooking. And roasted anything is great too. Especially vegetables in olive oil and a little bit of Coleman's mustard and lemon. Yummy!

Lunchtime at work!

Aug 10, 2012 at 11:48 AM Post #1,564 of 3,876
Quote:
Are doughnuts the new cupcakes? I've never understood the cupcake craze. $3 a cupcake and more. I do, however, understand the doughnut craze. In my office all the women go for cupcakes; even making their own fancy versions. And all the guys go for doughnuts and always buying them.

I am very prejudiced against cupcakes and had refused to bake them for the longest time.  They are just too dainty and cute for their own good, and boutique stores charging a ridiculous price for them made it worst.  I did oblige with a request to make red velvet cupcakes with cream cheese frosting one time for my sister, but I hated every moment of it :p

Aug 10, 2012 at 11:50 AM Post #1,565 of 3,876
Quote:
Anybody here do home Sous-Vide?  I preordered a Nomiku (http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/nomiku/nomiku-bring-sous-vide-into-your-kitchenhttp://www.nomiku.com/), which should arrive around December.  Just looking for some suggestions on resources (cookbooks, recipes, tables for temperatures and cooking times based on size/weight/thickness, etc.).  Molecular gastronomy seems interesting, so any help would be appreciated.

I would love a home sous vide machine, especially with the unit prices having come down quite a bit over the past couple of years, but there isn't any space for it.  It's probably the best way to cook proteins that you're not braising.  Cook until appropriate internal temperature and then a quick very high temperature sear on the outside. 

Aug 10, 2012 at 12:00 PM Post #1,566 of 3,876
My wife and I can both cook in the kitchen at the same time. Specialties: Cajun, New Mexican (not to be confused with bland Mexican--we live in the chili capital of the world), and smoked meats.

I have three different kinds of smokers and use cherry, pecan, peach (most favored by a wide margin), mesquite, maple, and apple. I have a source in Colorado. Specialties include turkey, salmon, and brisket.

Trivia Quiz: What is the difference between CHILE  (not the country) and CHILI?

Aug 10, 2012 at 8:11 PM Post #1,569 of 3,876
Quote:

Trivia Quiz: What is the difference between CHILE  (not the country) and CHILI?

Quote:
Quote:
Chile is a pepper, Chili is a stew.

And Chile is a country

Thanks for clearing that up
rolleyes.gif

Aug 10, 2012 at 11:19 PM Post #1,570 of 3,876
Aug 11, 2012 at 12:12 AM Post #1,572 of 3,876
So wait, Chile is a country? In South America? Chilly means cold and South America is hot, so this makes no sense. Speaking of sense, do you guys know the difference between sense and cents?

Aug 11, 2012 at 5:25 AM Post #1,573 of 3,876
Chili pepper (also chile pepper or chilli pepper, from Nahuatl chilli) is the fruit[1] of plants from the genus Capsicum, members of the nightshade family, Solanaceae. The term in British English and in Australia, New Zealand, India,[2]Malaysia and other Asian countries is just chilli without pepper.

Chili peppers originated in the Americas. After the Columbian Exchange, many cultivars of chili pepper spread across the world, used in both food and medicine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back