how many of you guys cook???
Apr 10, 2011 at 8:20 PM Post #995 of 3,876
Quote:
Hi.  I made bacon.  Is good.  High nom-nom factor.

"I made bacon."

You, sir, are a god.
beerchug.gif

Apr 10, 2011 at 9:24 PM Post #997 of 3,876

Quote:
I know, it's getting a bit boring, but I just love them: curries again

Left a mild curry with paksoy, right a creamy chicken korma

Drool. Can I get a recipe? 
Quote:

My try at a vietnamese style sandwich. Fried eggs, homemade aioli, country style liver patee, sweet onion, tomato, lime-pickled cucumber, thai basil, coriander and a dressing made with dark syrup, siracha and fresh lime juice.

Looks amazingly tasty. 

Apr 10, 2011 at 10:06 PM Post #999 of 3,876
Makin' bacon was 90% research, 10% execution, the former focused on the "cure". 

There's quite a few recipes out there that call for salt, sugar, syrup, nitrites, nitrates, etc etc.  Nitrites are used extensively to ward off botulism and to give the bacon its characteristic pink color.  For me, I just used loads of kosher salt and brown sugar, coated the pork bellies well, wrapped them in plastic, and let sit / cure in the fridge for a week. 

You're supposed to then remove from wrap, rinse, and air dry in the fridge for another day to let the skin form a "pellicle" - an exterior that facilitates the uptake of smoke.  I did not do this, b/c I was impatient to get smoking.  Next time I will.

Re: smoking, people smoke bacon at sub-100F for days or @ 200F for just a couple hours.  I smoked mine in a green egg @ 200F for 2.5 hours.  Next time, it'll be lower, longer as I wasn't fully satisfied with smoke penetration.  Lastly, pretty much all recipes agree on a finished 150F internal temp.

At this point, the bacon is still not cooked, as you need to fry / bake / etc up.  I cut off the skin and sliced the strips into bacon, then fried 'em up on a cast iron pan with a iron press.

It was good, not awesomely good, but still pretty good.  It's more like bacon jerky than the traditional *snappy* bacon from Farmer Johns.  Because of its strong flavor, my bacon is ideal on a wheat bread BLT as it stands up to the nuttiness of the wheat.

I love pork.  The pig is a magical animal.

Here's a pig roast I did a couple months back. 

Apr 10, 2011 at 10:42 PM Post #1,001 of 3,876

Quote:
Makin' bacon was 90% research, 10% execution, the former focused on the "cure". 

There's quite a few recipes out there that call for salt, sugar, syrup, nitrites, nitrates, etc etc.  Nitrites are used extensively to ward off botulism and to give the bacon its characteristic pink color.  For me, I just used loads of kosher salt and brown sugar, coated the pork bellies well, wrapped them in plastic, and let sit / cure in the fridge for a week. 

You're supposed to then remove from wrap, rinse, and air dry in the fridge for another day to let the skin form a "pellicle" - an exterior that facilitates the uptake of smoke.  I did not do this, b/c I was impatient to get smoking.  Next time I will.

Re: smoking, people smoke bacon at sub-100F for days or @ 200F for just a couple hours.  I smoked mine in a green egg @ 200F for 2.5 hours.  Next time, it'll be lower, longer as I wasn't fully satisfied with smoke penetration.  Lastly, pretty much all recipes agree on a finished 150F internal temp.

At this point, the bacon is still not cooked, as you need to fry / bake / etc up.  I cut off the skin and sliced the strips into bacon, then fried 'em up on a cast iron pan with a iron press.

It was good, not awesomely good, but still pretty good.  It's more like bacon jerky than the traditional *snappy* bacon from Farmer Johns.  Because of its strong flavor, my bacon is ideal on a wheat bread BLT as it stands up to the nuttiness of the wheat.

I love pork.  The pig is a magical animal.

Here's a pig roast I did a couple months back. 

Geeze man, you didn't even let him finish his apple first?  How rude!

Apr 13, 2011 at 11:28 AM Post #1,003 of 3,876
another easy one is Tagine. brown some cubed chicken or lamb, stir in some onions, add dried fruit (apricots, dates, or prunes work very nicely here), spices (I like to mix in cinnamon, ginger, cumin, paprika, garlic, salt, tomato paste) and enough chicken stock to cover, simmer a bit, then later stir in chickpeas to thicken the juices. let it simmer on a very low flame for a while. serve with couscous. helps to have the tagine dish to cook it in, which keeps the moisture.

Apr 13, 2011 at 4:20 PM Post #1,004 of 3,876
I thought that those tagine dishes made for the oven (being earthenware), you can use them on the stovetop?

Apr 13, 2011 at 5:37 PM Post #1,005 of 3,876

Quote:
I thought that those tagine dishes made for the oven (being earthenware), you can use them on the stovetop?

either way. yes, it's definitely possible to use them in the oven. I don't know whether people doing that would skip the browning of the meat; I don't because quickly browning your meat seals in a bit more of the flavor and moisture of the meat. right now, I am making the stock fresh from everything on the chicken I won't put into the tagine. once the stock is done, I'll proceed as described above, since my tagine has a cast-iron bottom (and a glazed earthenware top).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back