how many of you guys cook???
Sep 29, 2019 at 1:47 PM Post #3,811 of 3,876
I've started making my own noodles now.
Awsome! I always wanted to make my own noodles as I luv noodles. I think the issue with a lot of store bought ones are high sodium content. If you look on the nutrition panel, you will see 40% of daily allowance of sodium per serving. I thinking if you make your own, not that much sodium in it?

I found how Soba noodles are made kinda interesting. Cooking bread is kinda interesting. Various types of breads out there to try out.

Last edited:
Sep 30, 2019 at 8:41 AM Post #3,812 of 3,876
Awsome! I always wanted to make my own noodles as I luv noodles. I think the issue with a lot of store bought ones are high sodium content. If you look on the nutrition panel, you will see 40% of daily allowance of sodium per serving. I thinking if you make your own, not that much sodium in it?

That depends. If you're talking about instant noodles, then absolutely you'll use less sodium, since those come with high sodium (plain salt as well as MSG) flavour packets, and even the noodles themselves have more salt than usual to help them hold up in the manufacturing process where they're cooked and then fried to dry. There's a reason why you're not supposed to eat instant noodles regularly, even if it saved Japan from starving to death after losing the most epic deathmatch in history to date and they realize they don't have a lot of two things: money (or conquered resources) and farmers (ie they had the same problem Rome had, despite having a professional standing army, which, if the deathmatch is epic enough, still ends up with conscription).

Even non-instant dry noodles have salt, primarily as a preservative.

If you mean store bought fresh noodles...still, not exactly. Sure they have a bit more salt than usual owing to the need for a natural preservative, BUT you're still getting sodium in other ways either with those or by making your own noodles:

1. You need them in most Eastern noodle recipes as they act as a stabilizer. Hand-pulled round or hand-stretched flat noodles can't just autolyse without salt, they won't stretch and if you go far enough, they'll tear instead.

2. Italian noodles will get cooked in what essentially counts for clean seawater (ie it won't have dead fish in it, but has enough salt in it to match that). Then there's the sauce, even if you don't add much. How? Render the guanciale, and the cured pork is itself cured by coating it in salt, not all of it getting knocked off of it.

3. Asian noodles won't need salt in the cooking water since chances are the dough has salt, but then you have sodium in the sauce or soup. Lots of it. Take ramen for example. The main broth/stock has no salt, just garlic and pork fat, but then that's poured into a bowl with dried tuna-based stock plus tare, which is made by boiling dried tuna, dried tuna stock, wine/sake, and a load of salt or soy sauce (plus a little sugar) until the flavor is concentrated as it reduces. The original Korean version? Same thing except instead of dried tuna stock they used anchovy stock, and instead of a complex tare they just used finely crafted soy sauce. Speaking of which...when ramen doesn't have soy sauce or outrightconcentrated salt, they have miso, of which the soy sauce is the by product. Go south, and while you don't have a complex tare, the Philippines adds fermented fish sauce to the mix, which is basically soy sauce but with fish, and really rancid if you go to where it's made (hell, even Worcestershire made in a cold climate stinks, guess how bad this is in NW Philippines, to non-locals anyway).

But then why aren't Italians and Asians dropping dead? Balanced diet. Outside of the Philippines and Vietnam (and soon, Korea), breakfast for example tends to be bland compared to the rest of each cuisine. There's also portion control. I have a friend who can down a huge bowl of ramen every night, but that's because he'd skip breakfast or lunch save for a piece of (sometimes steamed instead of baked) bread, no filling; just enough so he doesn't pass out at work. Knuckleheads like me who when out of pickled veg will just stuff a banh mi with kimchi (not to mention I've probably had a grilled cheese with kimchi for breakfast...as in literally it's in the grilled cheese...and man does my brother absolutely hate the "stank" when the aged cheese and fermented cabbage heat up on the skillet) are kind of rare. My water intake is so high (it's hot out here, OK) the salt ends up as white streaks on my black shirts instead of sticking around to kill my kidneys. That or maybe it's because I rarely drink soda anyway, mostly just several liters of pure water everyday and some coffee or tea.

Jan 19, 2020 at 6:49 PM Post #3,813 of 3,876
Man, no activity in awhile. I like cooking, and especially like cooking steaks. I've gotten cuts from various places, and my favorite cuts are either Rib-eye or Strip steak, no bones attached. With quality cuts, you learn to master the right amount of time it takes to get the inside to the right temperature. The only way to eat a quality steak is to eat medium rare with the best pink coloring on the insides. I don't like them over-cooked as I find it ruins the expensive cuts. I was surprised to find this cut at Costco being labeled as Choice, but I found the marbling much better than the prime cuts they had out, so decided to cook these. I find the method of reverse sear (on caste iron after getting the temperature up in the oven) the easiest and the quickest. I have no patience for Sous vide as it takes longer.

Personally like Strip cuts a bit more as the Ribeye cut below has too much big chunks of fat at various spots, and that isn't good for consistency when you cut them. I like the strip steaks for consistency of the fat being around the edges, but Ribeyes are more tender cuts.

20200119_113645.jpg 20200119_125059.jpg20200119_125328.jpg

Just as a reference, the most expensive, top quality steaks are Kobe beef, which are from particular breed of cows from Kobe, Japan. They have the highest fat marbling resulting in most tender cuts.

JAPANWAGYUNY16OZ-2.jpg

Last edited:
Feb 6, 2020 at 7:15 AM Post #3,815 of 3,876
Wife surprised me by buying scallops which I had the pleasure of making for the first time. Surprisingly easy and oh so delicious. Followed a method similar to cooking steak:
  • Pat dry both sides
  • Season one side with salt pepper
  • Heat oil in skillet on fairly high, used grapeseed oil
  • Place seasoned side on skillet, season exposed side while cooking
  • Cook until you a nice crust has formed, also when the scallop easily lifts off pan
  • Flip over and repeat on other side
  • Add butter and minced garlic in skillet (you could also add thyme, but unfortunately I didn't have any)
  • Just before the garlic browns, lift skillet and start spooning butter/oil/garlic liquid over scallops
  • And done, all in less than 10 minutes
For the leftover oil and garlic in the pan, I tossed in some cooked rice and served as a side.

Feb 15, 2020 at 8:23 PM Post #3,816 of 3,876
I like to have corn beef once in a while so today I bought this pre-packaged corn beef meat. I haven't cooked this stuff before so I read the instructions, even went on-line. Easy enough. Just let it simmer for 2 and a half to 3 hours. Voila! Tender, juicy and delicious corn beef.

Feb 26, 2020 at 4:19 PM Post #3,820 of 3,876
3-4 times per week perhaps. It depends, I usually cook breakfast and maybe dinner, sometimes something to take for lunch at work (rice and breast chicken). One of my favourite recipes that I know and also one of the simplest is white pasta sauce with salmon or shrimps.
Ingredients:
Tagliatelle, but you can use any pasta that you want. I prefer them because I think they blend better with salmon/shrimps.
Sour Cream
Lemon
Salt/Pepper
Salmon
Butter
Onion
Garlic
Parsley
Olive oil
Parmesan

Boil some water and put the pasta to boil. Make sure to add some salt to the water.
In the meantime, take a pan, put olive oil and let it heat a little bit. Add the onion and combine with the olive oil, make it slightly brown. Add the butter and mix in the pan. After that, add the salmon/shrimps and cook the shrimps on each side until they change their colour and salmon should be slightly white orange (depending on how you like it to be cooked). Nonetheless this should only take up 6-7 minutes. Afterwards you can add some garlic and pun sour cream over it. Mix everything together. Add salt/pepper to your preferences and make sure to mix everything so it blends together nicely. Let it boil for around 7-10 minutes depending on how thick you want your sauce to be (I usually use 15% sour cream, but you can also use thicker sour cream).
After you are done with the sauce, remove the water from the pasta and add the sauce on them. Mix everything together, add some lemon and some parmesan. That's it, in around 30-40 minutes you have a great meal.

Feb 27, 2020 at 3:47 AM Post #3,821 of 3,876
around 2-3 times a week on cooking since cook is time-consuming.

This takes less than 10mins of prep time and then start washing while the noodles are cooking and the butter is slowly melting over really low heat. By the time the chopping board is clean and the knife is dry (I'm not even using stainless knives) you can start fishing the noodles out to go into the skillet or wok with the melted butter. You just add another 5mins washing the pasta pot - and you can save time washing skillets or woks if they're properly seasoned and you don't burn anything onto it.
https://www.instagram.com/p/B9B2S6FHDEi/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

Mar 27, 2020 at 9:01 AM Post #3,822 of 3,876
around 2-3 times a week on cooking since cook is time-consuming.

Same here. I'm too lazy to cook every day even despite that I live alone. Well, I have many gadgets but rarely use any of that maybe except pizza oven like this one.
Albeit I'm not very good at it, I can still cook.
I'm not very good at cooking either but I have no choice. Local restaurants are closed but still deliver food, I struggle not to order something...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back