how many of you guys cook???
Jun 18, 2002 at 9:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3,876

ray4jc

100+ Head-Fier
ok.....since everyone seems to be multi-talented......

how many of you head-fiers cook??

ray

ps: when i say cook..i mean food...lol
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 18, 2002 at 9:57 PM Post #6 of 3,876
I can cook. Inside I can do basics, but get me outside on a grill or give me a gas burner and a big pot and I will have fun
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 18, 2002 at 10:17 PM Post #7 of 3,876
I cook almost all the meals and have for quite a while. Have attended a local French cooking school to improve my skills. Specialities are French and Mexican although I enjoy the cuisines of most areas.

Tonight it is a simple meal:

Grilled Beef Tenderloin sandwiches made with crusty rolls with an Au Jus dipping sauce
Grilled Asparagus
Grilled Peppers marinated in olive oil and spices
and for dessert fresh fruit and cheese

oh! and a nice bottle of Merlot.

Jun 18, 2002 at 10:31 PM Post #8 of 3,876
Cooking is fun. Cleaning up sucks.

I'm pretty good with Southern type cooking. Although the only thing I fry is skinless chicken and skinless BASS in peanut oil. Actually, very non-greasy and peanut oil is actually good for you. High in GOOD cholesterol. Unless you're allergic to it. Probably about 1/2 % of people can be.

Fantastic BBQ and other grilled stuff.

Also, lots of diiferent things with various tomatoe sauces. One of my biggest downfalls.

Jun 18, 2002 at 11:06 PM Post #9 of 3,876
cleaning up sucks indeed. but cooking rules, lotsa fun.

mainly rice and other quick stuff. but love to try special recepies as well.

and besides, you can cook with heapdhones on. now thats as much fun as it gets
biggrin.gif

Jun 18, 2002 at 11:19 PM Post #10 of 3,876
I don't do it often but when I can do it right I really enjoy it. I especially enjoy cooking over a fire.

I make some killer cornbread though it never turns out the same way twice (a side-effect of not measuring).

Here's what I've learned along the way:

Use fresh spices if possible
Cut it yourself
Salt is a miracle and when used sparingly can pull flavors out you never knew were there before.
There's more than one stting on the stove other than 'High'
Beer works very well in place of wine for deglazing in many cases
Good cookware makes a bad stove usable (I love allclad)
Cast iron rules when you don't need a non-reactive pan
For the most part teflon cookware is unneeded if the tempreture is set properly (too hot and it will stick, too cool and it will stick)
Use real, unsalted butter instead of margarin - It tastes better and studies show it may actually be better for you.
When going overboard, heavy cream can't be beat.
Yelling 'BAM!' when adding spices really makes a dish taste better. :wink:
Most importantly;

Have fun,
and make someone else clean up. :wink:

Jun 19, 2002 at 12:06 AM Post #13 of 3,876
I make some mean Macaroni and Cheese, from the box . . .
rolleyes.gif

I do make really good burgers, though, on the grill. My trick is to smear a good portion of Worcstershire sauce and sometimes A1 sauce when they're cooking, and then after flipping them, add some more to the other side. Seriously, if any of you don't know this trick, really consider it; honestly, it makes plain ordinary hamburgers come alive and have some zest, though not too much zest, just enough that it's full of great taste. Try it!

Also, I'm a big fan of omeletes for breakfast! After making those a lot over the past few years for myself in the morning, I can now make some very good omeletes. Ham and cheese is always a good standby classic; though more avantgarde ones with peppers, mushrooms, and other less common ingredients is really good as well.

Jun 19, 2002 at 12:53 AM Post #15 of 3,876
I am the master of the microwave, the genius of the George Foreman grill, and the fanatic of fast-food. IOW, not often.
tongue.gif

Quote:

The Quality Guru said...

I do make really good burgers, though, on the grill. My trick is to smear a good portion of Worcstershire sauce and sometimes A1 sauce when they're cooking, and then after flipping them, add some more to the other side.

My roommate does something similar, though he puts the Worcestershire sauce and A1 into the meat before putting it on the grill. We also put a bunch of garlic cloves in the meat. Best burgers ever!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back