how many of you guys cook???
Oct 10, 2015 at 7:08 PM Post #3,316 of 3,876

Yes, I remember you introduced me to the Remoska a while back. Sounds like a great pan to make a batch of chicken wings, or legs and thighs.

Good for a surprising number of recipes, if you believe Remoska fans on the internet. But I haven't actually used it for baking cakes yet.

At the very least, it'll heat up a supermarket ready-meal. If I had kids, I'd give them a Remoska when they left home, as a simple, non-threatening intro into cooking.

Mine still gets a fair bit of use.

Oct 10, 2015 at 7:43 PM Post #3,317 of 3,876
Anyone used the air fryer? I'm tempted to get one.

Funny you should ask. In searching for Remoska I came across air fryers. I love fried foods. Or hot oil-basted birds like tea smoked chicken with crispy skin!

I made leftover basil chicken, rice with a fried egg for this morning's breakfast.

Oct 10, 2015 at 7:53 PM Post #3,318 of 3,876
Funny you should ask. In searching for Remoska I came across air fryers. I love fried foods. Or hot oil-basted birds like tea smoked chicken with crispy skin!

I made leftover basil chicken, rice with a fried egg for this morning's breakfast.

Yummy.

Going to WS now to check out the air fryer, I like fried chicken but hate to fry food at home.

Oct 10, 2015 at 8:04 PM Post #3,319 of 3,876
Yummy.

Going to WS now to check out the air fryer, I like fried chicken but hate to fry food at home.

Same here. I knew, when I was a kid, when my mother was going to make fried chicken. The kitchen floor was lined with newspaper to protect it from the splattering oil/lard. Boy was it the best fried chicken ever. She'd make a dressing of cream cheese and crushed pineapple and spread it over the piping hot chicken. Yum!

Oct 10, 2015 at 8:13 PM Post #3,320 of 3,876
Well, if it comes to fried chicken, any fan of Kinky Friedman's detective novels knows about the legendary Chicken McGovern recipe. Well, here 'tis!

3-4lb chicken, skinned and cut into sections, with backbone and wingtips used for stock.

THE MARINADE
fresh ginger
3 spring onions, diced finely
2 tsp roasted browned peppercorns
2 tbsp soy sauce
sugar, sprinkled to taste

THE SAUCE
4 garlic cloves, diced finely and mashed
4 spring onions, diced finely
1 stalk of celery, sliced fine
grated ginger to taste
2 tbsp light soy sauce
2 tsp distilled white vinegar
4 tbsp chicken stock
1 tbsp tomato ketchup
sugar to taste
2 tbsp sesame oil

YOU ALSO REQUIRE
cornflour
oil for deep frying
toasted peanuts

PUTTING IT TOGETHER
peel and grate the ginger
dice the 3 spring onions
score or prick the meat
sprinkle with peppercorns, ginger, soy sauce and sugar
rub in well
cover and refrigerate overnight

FOR THE SAUCE, USE 2 SEPARATE BOWLS
In one bowl, combine the garlic, spring onions, ginger and celery.
In the other bowl, combine the soy sauce, vinegar, stock, ketchup, sugar and sesame oil.
After the chicken is marinated, dust with cornflour. 
Pat chicken until mixture is well absorbed.
Set aside for 20 minutes.
Fry in hot oil until crusty.
Bake in oven until cooked through.
Drain the meat on a paper towel and place on serving dish.
Mix together the two bowls of sauce ingredients and bathe the chicken.
Sprinkle with toasted peanuts.

Open mouth.
Serve at once.

Oct 11, 2015 at 7:52 PM Post #3,322 of 3,876
I am making a big vat of snow cap beans in my Crock-Pot.

Oct 14, 2015 at 8:20 PM Post #3,323 of 3,876
@Clayton SF that recipe looks interesting. I can cook chili - does your recipe taste anything like that, or how would you describe the taste?

Also I think I sent you a PM: Local Head-Fi'ers in the SF / Silicon Valley Bay Area are planning a meet with a lot of the newest gear available to try out, but we still need help finding a place to hold the event, in November. Just spreading the word around for anybody else too.

Oct 14, 2015 at 9:02 PM Post #3,324 of 3,876
@DecentLevi It tasted more like bean soup because I added chicken stock at the end and cooked it until it thickened up a bit. I also added a little Hawaiian chili pepper. It was very good. It would probably go great with Mexican food.

I saw your PM and responded. I'll be in Belgium and the North Holland in Mid-November and I'd be able to attend the meet if it was held in SF. I wish I could find a place to host this event.

Oct 17, 2015 at 1:54 PM Post #3,325 of 3,876
I didn't cook this yukhoe (then again, neither did the chef, technically speaking), but mostly because I have no idea where to get meat in my area that I can eat without cooking. At least if I get sick it's easier to sue a restaurant than a butcher shop (that likely doesn't even claim their meat is safe for such).

Oct 17, 2015 at 2:20 PM Post #3,326 of 3,876
Didn't cook this either but we did enjoy!

The last paella of the season at the Boonville Hotel in Boonville CA.
Cooked over oak fire in a custom wood stove and pan from a local metal worker.

Chicken, shrimp, sausage, clams & mussels and lots of basque peppers, tomatillos and cherry tomatoes

Everyone in the pot!

Oct 24, 2015 at 2:29 PM Post #3,327 of 3,876
Just made Bhel Puri. Delicious, but the green chilli I put in the coriander sauce was, er, just a tad hotter than I expected. Whooh! 
eek.gif

Nov 3, 2015 at 10:22 AM Post #3,330 of 3,876

Had a ribroast last weekend, would have been perfect except for the well-done muscle on one side. We used a charcoal grill since it was cheaper than an electric oven or a gas grill, but I should have flipped it around a bit more than I did.

1. Fire up a grill with a lot of charcoal. Not kidding, use a lot of the stuff. When white hot, move all of it to one side for direct heat (we seared a tritip then cooked it in indirect heat while searing the roast).

2. For the rub: we dropped pepper, chopped roasemary, and dried onion flakes into softened butter, mixed, and then brushed it all over the roast. We then heavily salted it all the way around (sea salt in a grinder, set to fine).

3. Sear the roast, 1min on all sides, save for the ends (around 30secs on those). Move to indirect heat with a tin pan right under it to collect drippings (we had a spoonful of olive oil,  peeled cloves of garlic, and onions in that). Close the lid and cook 5mins/pound. Make sure to turn it around often, but stop the timer and resume one minute after putting the lid back on to compensate for the heat loss with the open grill (I did this every 15mins).

4. Collect the drippings; add beef stock if it's not a lot, and then add cornstarch to thicken. Season with salt and pepper to taste.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back