How many of you guys actually wear proper protection while soldering?
May 29, 2004 at 1:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 36

null

Headphoneus Supremus
Last night, while I was working on a CMOY, a piece of resistor lead flew into MY LEFT EYE while I was cutting it off. Luckily for me, I was wearing safety glasses at the time. However, that got me thinking, how would that situation turn out if I wasn't wearing the proper safety stuff? How many of you actually bother to wear safety goggles, etc.? (I know for a LONG TIME I didn't!)

May 29, 2004 at 1:57 PM Post #2 of 36
I don't bother, but I do close my eyes and look away when I'm clipping leads. I've had enough close calls that I don't feel silly doing it.

May 29, 2004 at 2:11 PM Post #3 of 36
Once you get older and loose your depth of focus you have to
wear jewlers glasses anyway which means you are pretty well protected.
k1000smile.gif

May 29, 2004 at 2:25 PM Post #4 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by kevin gilmore
k1000smile.gif

LOL me also

May 29, 2004 at 3:37 PM Post #5 of 36
My last birthday I moved into my first pair of trifocal glasses. (This years birthday present is blood pressure medicine. Getting old has it's down side.
biggrin.gif
)

My eyes have been saved alot of injury over the years, by wearing glasses. It's amazing how often something bounces off of my lenses when I am working on something. Especially when using a Dremel to cut or shape materials. It's worth taking precaution and wearing eye protection.

May 29, 2004 at 3:50 PM Post #6 of 36
Quote from Kevin Gilmore:
================================================== ===
================================================== ====

Isn't that the truth.
rolleyes.gif

I've got three Optivisors - each with a different stength lense - floating around here. In addition to providing eye protection when playing around with electronics, it's amazing what they can be used for. And tehy work great with glasses ... double the protection ???
biggrin.gif

Gord SW Ont.

May 29, 2004 at 3:58 PM Post #7 of 36
I turn away and try to cut with the lead facing down, so it will fall rather than launch towards me. I realize this is not 100% safe, but I don't wear eye protection. I have been known to wear Sennheiser HD580 ear protection while soldering, but sometimes the cord gets in the way.

May 29, 2004 at 4:02 PM Post #8 of 36
I have to wear eyeglasses otherwise I'm blind [unfortunately I'm only 23] so those usually work [altho they cost around $300 so I did wear safty glasses when I was in the shop] but for general work.. I don't bother. Oakley sunglasses work great for makeshift safty glasses [have to bea true Oakleys.. not the fakes which are Orkleys..] Those things can stop a stone from a truck tire.

Another good idea is to aim the leads you are cutting to the side
biggrin.gif

As for grounding straps, I should get one for my cat.. she is a static bag and I know she will be by me when I'm working.

May 29, 2004 at 4:11 PM Post #9 of 36
i never wear any protection. but i already got glasses, so i guess i sort of got eye protection, btw my father forced me to wear eye goggles. he said "i must wear eye protection At All Times, never sacrifice on eye protection"

May 29, 2004 at 6:18 PM Post #10 of 36
I try to wear safety goggles when doing any cutting, or at least cut so that any flying bits will go into my workbench.

I also get a bit worried about those fumes that come off when soldering. I've never heard of a real scientific look at the health hazards of those fumes.. but they dont look or smell to good.. if there is any lead vapor or something.. I sure dont want to get lead poising at 16 years old. I have a sort of a makeshift fume hood..its a cardboard box connected to a ceiling exhaust fan which blows outside. It seems to suck up all of the fumes before they can float out in to the room, so that makes me feel a bit better.

May 30, 2004 at 1:34 AM Post #12 of 36
Seriously though, eye protection is a must for power tools.

I was using one of those fragile cut off discs on a dremel tool once, it shattered and sprayed "shrapnel" everywhere. There was a pretty good sized shard that was stuck in my safety glasses, right in front of my eye.

Granted I wear glasses too, but that would've scratched my glasses pretty good.

-Ed

May 30, 2004 at 1:44 AM Post #13 of 36
i wear eyeglasses =\ never usually wore protective gear doing anything
my lungs are polluted with metal particles, had several burns on my fingers from soldering, but those were accidents =\

May 30, 2004 at 2:16 AM Post #14 of 36
In general I will always wear eye protection when working on metal, but not usualy when soldering. The wire snips I have are constructed in such a way that the off cut can only fly out in about a 90 degree arc, I direct that to the side so nothing can bounce off the desk towards my eyes. Other than that I think the important thing is not to get too close when actually soldering in case something spitts. I have soldered surface mount chips through a low power microscope, it is amazing how much more acurate you can be when your view is magnified and your eyes are pretty well protected then!

Other than that, always wear dust masks when cutting plastics or hardwoods
wink.gif

Luke

May 30, 2004 at 2:33 AM Post #15 of 36
I've worn glasses since childhood and they've saved my eyes quite a few times. I also try to wear 100% cotton clothes when soldering in case the solder splatters or drips on them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back