How many KBS is reccomened when listening to music?
Mar 24, 2006 at 8:20 AM Post #2 of 24
Some people swear by lossless, but 192kbps VBR is good enough for most people.

Mar 24, 2006 at 8:24 AM Post #3 of 24
The only way to find this out, is testing this for yourself. All you have to do, is making an A/B test with files encoded at your favorite bitrate, and as lossless as well. even better would be a blind test, were another person chooses the files for you, so that you don't know if you're hearing the lossy or the lossless file.
Cause as Esidarap said, it's totally up to you, if you can actually hear the difference.

Mar 24, 2006 at 8:25 AM Post #4 of 24
Its actually kbps (kilobits p/second). Also it kinda depends what kinda phones u are using, if its amped or not, blah blah blah. Unfortunately the only person who can really decide whats the best bitrate is YOU my friend. Try encoding a song u are familiar with in multiple bitrates, listen to em and see if you can tell a difference. I have an unamped ipod and I use 128 aac vbr on most (not all) of my stuff. I can still tell a difference but to me it sounds good enough at that bitrate.

Mar 24, 2006 at 8:29 AM Post #5 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jesse40902
Is 192 good enough for high quality music through a headphone? thanks

it is for me. i use 192kbps AAC and can't tell the difference from the original CD. some may, but I can't.

Mar 24, 2006 at 8:33 AM Post #7 of 24
192 kbps is fine for portable/DAP use.

I don't listen to anything other than original, uncompressed CDs at home. It sounds appreciably better.

And the best way to decide this for yourself is to do your own listening tests.

Mar 24, 2006 at 11:23 AM Post #8 of 24
Exactly 256.00kbps, no more, no less.

Oh give me a break. You need to find out what you like, not what others prefer. Ultimately, it is you who'll be doing the listening. I prefer lossless/wav or high-bitrate AAC/MP3. Rip the same track into different formats and see if you can tell the difference.

Mar 24, 2006 at 11:44 AM Post #9 of 24
Also depends from music style.

Speed Metal or really freaked out Freejazz will propably contain more "information items per second" in itselfes than i.e. some laid back Chillout piece. Thus 192 kbit should be enough for Electronica and related, but maybe not for more complicated styles like the above mentioned.

I personally regard the 192 kbit MP3 or 128 kbit M4A quality as sufficient.

Mar 24, 2006 at 11:51 AM Post #10 of 24
My two cents:

I use lossless for playback at home, either via my speakers or my headphones, ive got the harddrive space and for most music, i do hear the difference.

For portable, i use 192VBR MP3 (highest bias). That goes on my ipod and plays through my PX100 or MX500, and with that setup I could probably use an even lower bitrate and not notice.

If youve got the hard drive space, you might as well use lossless for home playback.

For portable, do a few listening tests at verious settings until you get the lowest possible bitrate where you are still happy with the sound, thats what to use.

Mar 24, 2006 at 2:25 PM Post #12 of 24
Hi guys

I would also say preferably 192 kbps mp3's would be the minimum. But it must be said you only really know what u are missing when u listen to the original. The higher the bitrate, obviously the better.

To this I would add, especially at lower bitrates 128-192kbps range, I have experienced that ogg format does a better job of keeping high freuquency components compared to the mp3. Things like cymbals, high hat etc are noticably clearer and not washy-shouding with the ogg format.

any one else have thoughts on ogg versus mp3 ?

Cheers
580smile.gif

Mar 24, 2006 at 2:31 PM Post #15 of 24
I think lossless really isn't necessary. I just keep all of my music on my computer in it for archival purposes... I want my backups to be as good as possible if my CDs are stolen.

But really? I can't hear a difference between lossless and 224-256 AAC. 224 and under on MP3 don't sound that good to me though.

Of course, it's important to remember: not all 224 MP3 are created equal. VBR is a Godsend for MP3.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back