How many hours straight can you wear a "comfortable" set of headphones?
Mar 13, 2013 at 9:28 AM Post #16 of 134
To everyone who complains about glasses. What glasses do you wear? I haven't listened to that many headphones for extended periods of time, but I've never run into comfort issues with my glasses. 

Mar 13, 2013 at 9:37 AM Post #17 of 134
I don't know how you guys do it wearing closed back headphones for so long. My ears gets hot and I can feel slight moisture inside after 2-3 hrs before I need a break.

Mar 13, 2013 at 1:31 PM Post #18 of 134
Thanks everybody. These are great answers and very, very helpful. I am really torn as to what my next set of "work" earphones will be. 

I work in a cube farm. I want top-end quality. However, I've created an impossible situation for myself. On one hand, I'm afraid that if I have open cans then I'll bother my neighbors - on the other hand, I'm afraid that if I have closed cans I'll be oblivious to the phone or the boss saying my name behind me. That's how I landed on earbuds initially. 

I think I'm going to actually buy a pair of open headphones from Amazon and put them on a pillow or something at my house and see what they sound like. (An expensive experiment, even if temporarily). I'm not sure what else to do. Whenever I try closed cans on at a box store like Best Buy or something it's hard to judge what kind of isolation they provide.

Not a tall order, lol - I just need a pair of headphones that do not isolate outside noise so that I can hear my phone... but don't seep noise out to my neighbors either since my workplace is very quiet... oh and they have to be comfortable enough to be worn for 8 hours a day haha. 

I suppose what I'm asking for is what every noob wants to find when they start shopping. I need to just try some out and see what works!

Mar 13, 2013 at 2:39 PM Post #19 of 134
Thanks everybody. These are great answers and very, very helpful. I am really torn as to what my next set of "work" earphones will be. 

I work in a cube farm. I want top-end quality. However, I've created an impossible situation for myself. On one hand, I'm afraid that if I have open cans then I'll bother my neighbors - on the other hand, I'm afraid that if I have closed cans I'll be oblivious to the phone or the boss saying my name behind me. That's how I landed on earbuds initially. 

I think I'm going to actually buy a pair of open headphones from Amazon and put them on a pillow or something at my house and see what they sound like. (An expensive experiment, even if temporarily). I'm not sure what else to do. Whenever I try closed cans on at a box store like Best Buy or something it's hard to judge what kind of isolation they provide.

Not a tall order, lol - I just need a pair of headphones that do not isolate outside noise so that I can hear my phone... but don't seep noise out to my neighbors either since my workplace is very quiet... oh and they have to be comfortable enough to be worn for 8 hours a day haha. 

I suppose what I'm asking for is what every noob wants to find when they start shopping. I need to just try some out and see what works!

I find the Sennheiser HD55x/59x extremely light and comfortable and have a nice non-fatiguing sound signature. Have fallen asleep with them on more than once.

Mar 13, 2013 at 4:30 PM Post #20 of 134
Quote:

Get a closed can that swivels, so you can have one ear in & one ear out when you want to hear people, but you can be on your island when you need to focus :)

You can do this w/ the AKG K550 for example.

Mar 13, 2013 at 4:59 PM Post #22 of 134
Quote:
To everyone who complains about glasses. What glasses do you wear? I haven't listened to that many headphones for extended periods of time, but I've never run into comfort issues with my glasses. 

Thick plastic older vintage ones.. with the tips breaking down and turning into jagged points. lol

If they were thin wire ones that ran close to my face, I doubt I'd have any problems. 

Quote:

I'm thinking Fostex T50rp, they are semi-closed. That way they don't leak much, and they don't block everything. Sounds about perfect for you to me.

Mar 13, 2013 at 6:46 PM Post #23 of 134
I use iGrados at work, they leak sound yes, but not bad and they still let you hear someone behind you.  
The people in my office (cube farm) also put mirrors on our monitors so we can see if someone is standing behind us.

Mar 13, 2013 at 11:37 PM Post #25 of 134
Quote:
Mad Dogs - All day
DT880 - All day.
Comfort is CLOSELY followed by sound for me.

Agreed, and what is this comfort you speak of :xf_eek:, I can wear all my cans ALL DAY long because I'm LISTENING TO THEM, I'm not feeling them up wid mah ears ;3 

Mar 15, 2013 at 8:13 PM Post #26 of 134
German-MAESTRO GMP 8.35D Monitor w/ GM Oval Pads (Code number: 41-6050) : I reached over 8 hours without a problem. Probably I could go on but unfortunately life isn't that easy, you have to do other things too 
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 15, 2013 at 9:42 PM Post #27 of 134
I had/have the same issue as OP. I've brought just about everything I have that's not too obtrusive to work. Mostly portables and IEMs though. In the end I switch off with ksc75 and tf10s at this point. I haven't felt full sized would go over well. I too started with Yuins there, pk3 though and you're right they still hurt after a while. But I don't ever have to answer the phone and if it rings I get a pop up on my screen anyway. Took me a couple of weeks to get used to in ears for more than an hour but complies helped and now I can wear em all day.

Mar 16, 2013 at 11:37 AM Post #29 of 134
Quote:
Heya,

I can wear my most comfortable headphones nearly all day. I have to take them off when I get another beer, take a bathroom break, or take a phone call or simply get up to stretch my legs. Depends how much time I have to myself for it.

I find my Beyers (all DT series, so DT770, DT880, DT990) and my Denons (D5000) to be comfortable enough both from the pads, headband and weight to wear all day. My HE-500 is also now comfortable enough for all day as well after my cable was upgraded to a lighter build and a 3rd party headband pad added to increase padding. I can definitely do 8 hours on any of these. The combination of lighter clamp force, plenty of padding (soft pads, nothing firm) and headband padding with light cables makes them easy for me to forget I'm wearing nearly.

Very best,

Agreed. I actually forget my DT770's are on my head.

Mar 16, 2013 at 12:12 PM Post #30 of 134
Quote:
Agreed. I actually forget my DT770's are on my head.

I never do. I'm always aware of my dt 880s and 990s. But my head is big so gravity likes to pull it around when I wear cans e.e

that and the dmn cord always rubs against my arms

Users who are viewing this thread

Back