How many hours a week (on avg) do you listen to your full-size headphones?
Jul 17, 2013 at 6:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

KLJTech

1000+ Head-Fier
I generally listen far more to my IEM's during any given day (music or Audiobooks) than I do to my full-size headphones at my office or at home. I bet I probably listen to IEM's at least 5-6 hours a day and some days maybe even more...sometimes I wear them to bed, listening to music as I fall asleep. 

The reason I ask about the "average" hourly use per week with your full-size headphones is because I just ordered a new set of HE-400's and I'm trying to decide if its REALLY worth it (should it be worth it, given my weekly usage) "to me" since I probably listen to my full-size headphones about 4 - 5 hours a week and that may be stretching it a bit. I'm sure that there are many weeks that I may only listen for an hour or two.  

Is this about normal use for your full-size headphones or much less than you use yours?

See, I've read (been told) that the HE-500's are worth the $300 price difference over the HE-400's (better midrange and highs) BUT would they be worth it to most of you IF you were only using them a few hours a week?...and maybe you are...I don't know what average use is. I'D LOVE TO KNOW

At work, in my office I mostly listen to stand mounted speakers (right now: B&W CDM-1NT's) and when listening to my main system at home, once again, I primarily listen to speakers (Magnepan 1.7's). It's mostly later in the evening when I try to sit back and listen with my headphones.

Its funny, you want something for a while and you're sure of what it is that you want (the HE-400's) but once the time comes to pull the trigger to buy that "thing" all these other options start flooding in. Should I have bought the HE-500 rather than the 400's? Do I use them enough to justify paying nearly twice as much for the 500's? 

Another thing is I like Grado's, I've been intrigued by their RS1i's for a long time...now $700 seems steep. Its hard to rationalize the price being twice that of my 325i's when both have leather headbands, neither use plastic earcups...I have zero doubt that the RS1i's sound GREAT but why given their design do they cost more than twice that of my 325i's? I just thinking/typing out loud here...not really expecting a reason. 

I'm sorry, didn't mean to go on rant...I have too many hobbies and not enough cash to throw at all of them <grin>

We ALL want the best sound possible but I'm not sure that I listen enough to my headphone rig to justify paying $300 more on one set...but maybe they are worth the price difference!?

If you could give me feedback as to about how many hours a week you use your full-size headphone's I'd truly appreciate it. 

Thanks so much!
-Kevin 

Jul 17, 2013 at 7:04 PM Post #2 of 18
I am going to guess that I listen to my RS1i's about 20 hours a week on average....maybe alittle more some weeks, maybe alittle less some weeks.

My Q701's have been used for mainly gaming, but I may listen to them about 3-4 hours a week  listening to music.....every once in awhile I will put them on and listen to a couple of albums.

Jul 17, 2013 at 7:13 PM Post #3 of 18
Maybe 5-15 hours a week. Some weeks more than others.

Jul 17, 2013 at 7:24 PM Post #4 of 18
I'm in the 15-20hrs a week category for headphones and about 10 hours with in-ears to and fro work. I'd say sell the 400s and get the 500s.

Jul 17, 2013 at 7:29 PM Post #5 of 18
About 30 minutes, if at all. My earbuds get 30 hours or so.

Still, I have a constant if sparse stream of full-sized headphones coming in - it's a hobby, after all.

Jul 17, 2013 at 7:35 PM Post #6 of 18
School time: Whenever I can, so probably 10-20 hours a week.
Summer time: Probably 40-50 hours a week.

Jul 17, 2013 at 8:27 PM Post #7 of 18
The 400's haven't arrived yet so if I wanted to go with the more expensive HE-500's I'd just return the 400's and pay the difference. The return would be easy but I'm trying to decide if another $300 is worth it given how few hours a week I listen. Of course, if I hear the 400's and they appear to be lacking then I'm not sure what else to do but to pay the difference.

Anyone know how many hours is needed to burn in the HE-400's? 

I REALLY appreciate all the feedback I can get regarding how many hours a week YOU use your full-size cans. 

Jul 17, 2013 at 8:38 PM Post #8 of 18
I'd say give a 100 hours for burn in. I'd say the $300 extra is 5-10% difference in sound quality. Not much, but to some every extra inch is worth it.

Jul 17, 2013 at 9:04 PM Post #9 of 18
My fullsize of choice right now: HE-500

when i'm at grad school: 10 hours a week
this summer: 5-7 hours a week (my internship is sucking out all of my time)

about 7 hours a week on my portable (ESW9) for both during school/summer

Jul 17, 2013 at 9:05 PM Post #10 of 18
About 20hrs a mostly with my ps500 and ad900x

Jul 17, 2013 at 9:09 PM Post #11 of 18
Quote:
I'm in the 15-20hrs a week category for headphones and about 10 hours with in-ears to and fro work. I'd say sell the 400s and get the 500s.

haven't really heard the 400's much but i've seen many posts where a large number of people seem to be on both sides of this fence. Although everyone in general agrees that 500's sound better than 400's i feel like a large minority feels thats the improvements on the 500's over the 400's are not worth the extra. But this judgement all comes down to personal taste / value. (love my 500's btw)

Jul 18, 2013 at 12:43 AM Post #12 of 18
I listen to my LP2's about 40 hours a week and my Vic Firth Drum headphones for about 6 hours a week when I'm drumming, (though these will soon be replaced by my JH16's). I use my LP2's for music and Pod casts when I'm at work and keep them on all day. Comfort is a big deal once you get past the +6 hour/day mark, my ears don't hurt and nor do I have to remove my headphones from sound fatigue, (thanks Val for making a great headphone for it's price).

Oddly I don't listen to music at home very much, since I play guitar, drums and piano I make my own music. If I really want to be absorbed into a movie I'll throw on my full size cans and watch so I feel like I'm in the movie. Headphone use at home is pretty limited for me since my Dad bought an 8k surround sound system and my laptop is hooked into a good set of creative labs speakers.

My question for you is can you use these full size headphones in situations where you use your IEM's? If you're able to use them more frequently then perhaps you can justify that $300 price jump. 

Jul 18, 2013 at 6:22 AM Post #13 of 18
Probably around 12 to 20 hours per 7 day week. This includes music and gaming. Mostly on the lower end of that timeframe, because I listen to stereo too. All day at work low volume. I fire up my main home rig probably 5 out of 7 days.

Jul 18, 2013 at 9:23 AM Post #14 of 18
I actually have a very "weird" ruling for my listening section everyday. I usually listen to 1-2 album / day which is about 1 -1.5 hour in total. So basically around 7-9 hours per week. Every 24th day of a month, I will have a "no headphone day".

The reason I set that kind of ruling for myself is because I do not want to damage my ears! I always tell myself that "I haven't try the Sennehiser HE90 and HEV90!!!" XD

Billson :)

Jul 18, 2013 at 9:49 AM Post #15 of 18
Quote:
I listen to my LP2's about 40 hours a week and my Vic Firth Drum headphones for about 6 hours a week when I'm drumming, (though these will soon be replaced by my JH16's). I use my LP2's for music and Pod casts when I'm at work and keep them on all day. Comfort is a big deal once you get past the +6 hour/day mark, my ears don't hurt and nor do I have to remove my headphones from sound fatigue, (thanks Val for making a great headphone for it's price).

Oddly I don't listen to music at home very much, since I play guitar, drums and piano I make my own music. If I really want to be absorbed into a movie I'll throw on my full size cans and watch so I feel like I'm in the movie. Headphone use at home is pretty limited for me since my Dad bought an 8k surround sound system and my laptop is hooked into a good set of creative labs speakers.

My question for you is can you use these full size headphones in situations where you use your IEM's? If you're able to use them more frequently then perhaps you can justify that $300 price jump. 

When I'm using IEM's its usually about a 60/40 split Audiobook to music that I'm listening to and the HE-400's would be overkill (to say the least) for my audiobooks. Most of the time I'm using my 40GB Sansa Clip Zip (probably not enough juice to drive the big cans well) and the HE-400's would be rather large to wear when on the go though I'm sure that they'd get you some attention but most likely not the type of attention one would want. <grin> 

Thanks for all the input! It's cool hearing how many hours everyone uses their full-size headphones. I think a lot of members here have sweet headphone setups that may lack speakers as where I primarily listen to speakers at home and at the office BUT still LOVE headphones. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back