How many DAPs do you have?
Dec 3, 2013 at 10:41 AM Post #136 of 165

If someone gave me a Tera Player I would sell it....lol.

Also, I guess it's worth noting here that since getting my Nexus 7, I removed all video and games from my Galaxy Tab 7.0 Plus (since the Nexus is much better at those things), and loaded up a 32GB card of music for the G-Tab. I don't carry it around and listen to headphones with it, but I do plug it into either the boombox on my nightstand (most of the time) or occasionally my stereo. Podcasts and music coming from it sound decent enough in that role, plus it serves as my alarm clock too.

I very rarely listen to music through anything but headphones these days, so much so my brain has a brief malfunction when it hears music coming from outside my head. :p So i don't have any docking stations or night stands to share. I tried using my HTC Velocity smartphone for music once, I didn't really enjoy it , the prototype phone I had before that sounded decent with one of the apps installed.

Dec 3, 2013 at 6:53 PM Post #137 of 165
Since joining head-fi these are the sources I've gone through.. Out of all of them I give high credit to the hisound players and the little colorfly C3. Out of all these I'm still not completely happy with what we have avilable In performance.

iPod Touch 4G - 8GB
iBasso DX50 (8GB + 32GB SD Card) (sold)
Xuelin IHIFI 760 (8GB+ 32GB SD Card)
Cowon J3 (16GB + 32GB SD Card) (sold)
Studio V 2nd Edition (4GB + 32GB SD Card)
iPod Video 5.5 Generation Black 80GB (sold)
Hisound Rocco BA (4GB + 32GB SD Card)
Sansa Fuze v2 (4GB + 32GB SD Card) (sold)
Hifiman HM-601 (8GB + 32GB SD Card) (sold)
Colorfly CK4+ (8GB + 32GB SD Card) (sold)
Colourlfy C3 (4GB + 32GB SD Card)
Cowon C2 (16GB + 32GB SD Card) (sold)
Cowon D2+ (16GB + 32GB SD card) (sold)
4GB SanDisk Fuze+ (16GB SD Card) (sold)
Cowon S9 (32GB) (V-2.53) (sold)
4GB SanDisk Sansa Clip+ (32GB SD CARD) (Rockbox 3.13)
iPod Nano 1G - 2GB (Rockbox 3.10)
iPod Mini 1G - 4GB (Rockbox 3.10)
iPod Mini 2G - 8GB CF Mod (Rockbox 3.11) (sold)
iPod Touch 2G - 8GB (sold)
Sony Media Player Walkman NWZ-A828 - 8GB (sold)
Creative MuVu - V100 2GB
Sony MD Walkman MZ-R501

Have you considered the Fiio X3?

Dec 3, 2013 at 9:38 PM Post #139 of 165
I'm going to audition one soon, but FiiO branded gear is not something I'll buy usually.

I had seen your responded as to why you did not like the DX50 and I think that the X3 or X5 may suit you better. Also some people have modded the X3 to there liking easily as well. Why do you dislike Fiio? I actually find myself listening to my X3 more than DX50 lately.

Dec 3, 2013 at 9:57 PM Post #140 of 165
Motorola Xoom
Cowon D2+ (x 2)
Cowon X7
DX100
Studio V 3rd Ani.
Colorfly C4Pro
Tera Player (On Holiday)
AK 100 (Gold Version)
RWAK 100-S
RWAK 120-S (On Holiday)
DX50
iPad Mini
iPad Air

HM901 (Sold)

Dec 3, 2013 at 10:36 PM Post #141 of 165
I had seen your responded as to why you did not like the DX50 and I think that the X3 or X5 may suit you better. Also some people have modded the X3 to there liking easily as well. Why do you dislike Fiio? I actually find myself listening to my X3 more than DX50 lately.

I don't really like their house sound, as compensation though a friend of mine (who also doesn't like their house sound) said X3 is agreeable to him.
Best way to solve this is to demo one first. By all means, if I like the sound enough I'll buy one. 
DX50 was decent, I don't think it's bad, simply wasn't strong enough technically in some areas like the hisound players offer.
I think my next DAP will be Studio 3RD Anv to be honest.

Motorola Xoom
Cowon D2+ (x 2)
Cowon X7
DX100
Studio V 3rd Ani.
Colorfly C4Pro
Tera Player (On Holiday)
AK 100 (Gold Version)
RWAK 100-S
RWAK 120-S (On Holiday)
DX50
iPad Mini
iPad Air

HM901 (Sold)

Why did you sell your HM901 sprks01? 

Dec 4, 2013 at 8:31 PM Post #144 of 165
I don't really like their house sound, as compensation though a friend of mine (who also doesn't like their house sound) said X3 is agreeable to him.

Best way to solve this is to demo one first. By all means, if I like the sound enough I'll buy one. 

DX50 was decent, I don't think it's bad, simply wasn't strong enough technically in some areas like the hisound players offer.

That hisoundaudio looks intriguing. I will have to do some research on this. I almost bought a rocoo ba not to long ago but went for the X3.

Dec 4, 2013 at 9:37 PM Post #145 of 165

clip+/zip (plenty)
samsung yp-p3
cowon I10
sony A865
sony F886 (back to amazon this morning)

Quote:

strong enough technically, like hissing level and crashes? because I'm sure the shielding against smartphones is equally poor on both. ^_^

Dec 4, 2013 at 10:14 PM Post #146 of 165
  strong enough technically, like hissing level and crashes? because I'm sure the shielding against smartphones is equally poor on both. ^_^

Bugs were a concern yes on the firmware I was running back then. However the deal breakers were it's lack of air, stage width and instrument separation. The hisound players to me are transparent, when instruments separate they almost get what I call a metronome effect going on, hearing each instrument synchronizing with each otherf like a clock ticking, it can almost be hypnotic at times and that's something DX50 cannot do for me. But in saying I thought it DX50 was decent it has good resolution higher than the hisound players. If the sound was that good I would of kept it despite the bugs but it was clear to me the hisound Rocco BA was stronger technically in those areas mentioned. Plus I also own a Studio V. 

Dec 25, 2013 at 8:10 PM Post #147 of 165
Lineup has recently changed:

1. DX50
2. C3
3. iPod 5.5 80gb
4. Sansa Clip+

For those of you with several DAPs in a similar price and/or performance bracket, how do you justify keeping multiple units that basically serve the same purpose? Obviously this is the "always strapped for cash graduate student" speaking, but I'm curious to know anyway! 

Dec 26, 2013 at 6:09 AM Post #148 of 165
It's getting out of control

Sansa Clip, in a wonderful baby pink color
Sansa Clip+, two of these
Sansa Clip Zip, I got this free, my wife uses it
Sansa Fuze, just got this one, haven't messed with it yet
Sansa Fuze+, liked it for a while, but has inherent problems due to crappy hardware
Sansa E250 I have two of these as well, one is my daily driver
Sansa C250 - nifty little thing, size and shape of a flash drive. I need to use it more often
Sony NWZ-S616, yard mowing duty
iPod Nano 2nd gen, needs new battery
IPod Mini 2nd gen, this is modded with a 64GB CF card; the battery is trash but it stays plugged into the dock in my car.
Toshiba Gigabeat X, looks like a good piece in theory but it's flaky as hell

The Sansas are all basically interchangable b/c they're all Rockboxed, all I have to do is pull the micro card and put it in whichever player I feel like using that day.

Dec 26, 2013 at 6:33 AM Post #149 of 165
I lost count of how many but a pic worth a thousand words. Add iPhone 4S/64GB to it if that counts as a dap as well.

Total: 1,200 GB's of iPods. I guess I am an ipodholic, still better than being an alcoholic.
wink_face.gif

Dec 26, 2013 at 1:24 PM Post #150 of 165
Astell&Kern/Red Wine Audio RWAK100
Fiio X3
iBasso DX50
Apple iPad Air, iPod Touch 5G 64GB, iPod Touch 3G 64GB, iPod Nano 6G, iPod Nano 7G, iPod Classic 160GB
Sansa Clip+ 8GB, Clip Zip 8GB
Samsung Galaxy Player 5.0 & 4.2 & 3.6
Amazon Kindle Fire & Fire HDX 7 & Fire HDX 8.9
Samsung Galaxy S III & Note 3
Nexus 7 2013

Users who are viewing this thread

Back