How loud do you listen to your headphones?
May 24, 2004 at 4:03 AM Post #16 of 39
I actually measured the max volume from my car speakers. I pointed the microphone head directly against the speaker grill, was around 110 db, had no idea it could be this high. Have to turn down the volume from now on.

May 24, 2004 at 4:59 AM Post #17 of 39
heh... the longer the distance from the speaker to your ear, the more you can crank it up and not feel much. I guess you found that to be dangerous eh?

May 24, 2004 at 10:23 AM Post #18 of 39
I think some of you are getting very INACCURATE readings.

Not to point fingers, but there is a right and wrong way to use a decibel meter. Most decibel meters are fairly accurate. The radioshack analog meter is accurate to within 2 dB, PROVIDING FOR CORRECT PLACEMENT.

SPLs difuse, just like osmosis of water. You probably learned about that in chemistry of biology. Sound can bounce around, diffuse, and is very directional.

Measuring sound directly at the speaker grill is not going to give you an accurate reading, becuase the fact is you are simply not listening at that position! You want to measure the sound from where you would normally be located in reference to the speaker. Even then, I would be very cautious of the reading.

With headphones, I would again be very wary of the measurement, and how you take it. I think some of you have grossly inaccurate measurements, either way too loud, or too quiet.

Anyway, that said, I listen around 95dB or so, but never for extended periods of time.

May 24, 2004 at 1:14 PM Post #20 of 39
Then what is the correct way to measure sound levels coming out of headphones?

I just stick the microphone next to the inner earpiece and take a measurement. Is there a better way to do it?

May 24, 2004 at 5:12 PM Post #21 of 39
I find I get the same amount of details even with just one click on the knob.
So I stay at the lowest volume.

I am still young, don't wanna go deaf yet.

May 24, 2004 at 8:59 PM Post #22 of 39
i too am interested in knowing how loud. sometimes i want to go louder, but affraid it's too loud. other time it's too loud, but i forget. wish there was an easy way to measure.

May 24, 2004 at 9:20 PM Post #23 of 39
Its common sense!

Listen as loud as feels comfortable. If it feels uncomfortable, then its too loud. Resist the temptation to constantly turn it up. Simple as, IMO....

Some of you guys are almost unbelievably paranoid!
biggrin.gif

May 24, 2004 at 9:57 PM Post #25 of 39
I would think you'd have to build an enclosure (maybe just some kind of cover), replicating the enclosure created when you press your ear against the headphone pad. When you wear a headset, you are, in a sense, creating a small listening chamber. Then I suppose you'd cut out a space for the tip of the SPL meter and take a reading inside the chamber. I think there would be a signifigant difference. More resonance and certainly a lot more pressure from bass notes.

I have no idea how the hell you'd judge a canal phone since you can barely hear a canal phone an inch away from your ear when, inserted at the same volume, it would be deafeningly loud.

And yes, it's worth worrying about. I am another Head-fier with a permanent case of tinitus from headphones. I've finally decided I'm going to have to give them up entirely.

May 25, 2004 at 12:57 AM Post #26 of 39
It really is common sense..

I don't mind cranking it for a few minutes for a cool song, but if it's blowing my ear drums to make it sound decent..
rolleyes.gif

That's why I invested in a decent set-up.. I get the fidelity, bass response, etc I want without having it at 11 all the time..
biggrin.gif

For gaming, movies, or any other applications where there will be extended use, I go with what's comfortable. By that I mean I'll tweak it until it's too loud, then back it off..

And even then it is still way lower volume than what you're exposed to in a movie-theater, for example..

May 25, 2004 at 1:24 AM Post #27 of 39
I have no idea how loud I listen as I have no way to take readings.. but with all the isolation this 280 gives me, I don't need it very loud. Judging from how loud things sound in comparison when I take them off, I'd be surprised if it was over 60 dB.

May 25, 2004 at 1:30 AM Post #28 of 39
yeah, i am one of those paranoid people...

i mean what if what's comfortable is TOO loud?
biggrin.gif

May 25, 2004 at 1:33 AM Post #29 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by ampgalore
Just bought a radioshack SPL meter. Found out that I usually listen below 70db. How loud do you listen to your headphones?

I turn my amp up to '11'. Most amps go only to '10'.

May 25, 2004 at 3:27 AM Post #30 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by ampgalore
Just bought a radioshack SPL meter. Found out that I usually listen below 70db. How loud do you listen to your headphones?

Somewhere between 70db and 80db.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back