How long should you charge an SLA battery?
Jul 14, 2005 at 10:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

bundee1

Headphoneus Supremus
12V7AH/20HR battery from batterymart. I finally got my T-AMP for my bedroom boombox system but I dont have speakers. Im looking for an enclosure and Im charging the battery as we speak.

my.php
[/url][/IMG]

my.php
[/url][/IMG]

my.php
[/url][/IMG]

Jul 14, 2005 at 10:37 PM Post #2 of 7
That's an automatic charger you have, and when battery is charged, the green "charged" light will come on. You can unplug the charger then, but leaving it won't hurt the battery, either.

I have the same charger from batterymart but the 1000 mA version. last night, I charged two 9.3AH batteries (hooked parallel) at the same time overnight.

Jul 14, 2005 at 10:50 PM Post #4 of 7
YEah its been charging for about 3 hrs. I would have started earlier except I used the battery to bludgeon a wise***** cat. Does the battery get warm at all? The charger is warm but the battery isnt.

Jul 15, 2005 at 12:27 AM Post #5 of 7
Well...if it's a 7AH battery and it's a 500mA charger, you've probably got about 16 - 18 hours until it's fully charged (it always takes a little longer than the actual capacity / charging current).

Jul 15, 2005 at 1:00 AM Post #6 of 7
Damn! It doesnt matter as I dont have speakers for it at the moment.

Are there any special instructions to prolong the life of this battery? Can I charge it even if its not empty or can I top it off?

Jul 16, 2005 at 5:47 AM Post #7 of 7
Yes, it can be topped off. SLAs have significantly longer life if you don't completely drain them, the less the better within reason but that doesn't mean you have to obsessively recharge after every single use if it's nowhere near drained.

However, SLAs have long shelf charge life, once you have it fully charged it will not need topped off every few weeks like a NiMH would. If not used, you should top it off every 3-4 months or so if you need it in a ready state, or at least once a year if not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back