How long have you guys been into this?
Jun 13, 2002 at 8:14 PM Post #3 of 21
It's been about 8 months since I became an addict.

Forgot to add...
P.S. I plan to kick this habit within the next feel months... as soon as I pick up a MOHR
rolleyes.gif
I swear it! The MOHR will be my final purchase.

Jun 13, 2002 at 8:47 PM Post #4 of 21
Yeah RIGHT.

Your source needs upgrading, and so do your interconnects, and don't forget your power conditioners and cables. Have you ever heard of ProGold or sorbothane feet? What about resonance-damped shelving? Besides, Sennheiser is going to be coming out with some improved HD600s soon, and also have to make sure you've got some decent cables for them- try the Cardas.
very_evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jun 13, 2002 at 9:03 PM Post #5 of 21
Well, I have decided to simplify my life and hold on to only a few items including: a pair of HD600/cardas, SR-325, SR-300, ksc-30, K1000, AQ1005dti, SHA-1, 9V TA, JMT penguin (just because I can't seem to let it go), a supreme w/ upgraded module, a Sony scd-c555es, pcdp, NJB and a few ICs.

I think the MOHR would really complete my little collection.

Jun 13, 2002 at 10:10 PM Post #6 of 21
Its been about one month so far. But I don't even have a headphone amp, although I'm on JMT's waiting list. And right now I'm looking at getting a new source (I'm looking at either the NAD 521 or the Denon 370). Oh yeah....I will probably also get a new set of headphones after this summer too. I like the HD280's, but I really want to have some that aren't sealed. Oh yeah then after that I will want better interconnects, and then by that time I will probably want to upgrade the amp....and the list goes on and on. Sheesh

Jun 13, 2002 at 10:27 PM Post #7 of 21
headphones 13 years , pretty much started with stax
hi fi in general 40 years.
worked hard at school to buy my first record player
then while still at school got a weekend job and purchased a high end stereo . it all went from there. I have spent enought to purchase a good house over time

Jun 13, 2002 at 10:39 PM Post #8 of 21
For me, it all started 12 years ago with a pair of Sony MDR-V6 Studio Monitor headphones (I had owned nothing but cheap craptacular headphones prior to that). But my higher-end headphone purchases really accelerated after buying a pair of Grado SR-60 headphones a year and a half ago. [Just look at what I bought since December 2000: Grado SR-60, Sennheiser HD 590, Sony MDR-CD1700 (sold to redshifter), Sony MDR-7506 (sold to MikeR17), AKG K240DF, Sennheiser MX 500, Grado SR-80, Koss KSC-35, Sennheiser HD 280 Pro, and Etymotic ER-4S - not to mention the piles of el-cheapo headphones whose sound is at best nothing special.]
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif

Jun 13, 2002 at 10:47 PM Post #9 of 21
Quote:

Originally posted by eric343
Yeah RIGHT.

...Have you ever heard of ProGold or sorbothane feet? What about resonance-damped shelving? ...

I must admit I scoffed at first. Now my main stereo sits on a damped shelf on top of a purpose-built patch of floor surface. I have been assimilated.

Although I haven't gone as far as Rollerblocks...

Jun 14, 2002 at 8:41 PM Post #10 of 21
I've been at the whole headphone thing for over two years now. Funny thing is, I recall knowing about the whole audiophile headphone thing years ago. In 1997/1998 I was trying to get a Sony D-777 while living in Alaska. I remember running across one website where people were talking about the D-777 and using a headphone amp. My reaction at the time was "Why in the world do these people need an external headphone amp?"
biggrin.gif

Jun 14, 2002 at 10:06 PM Post #11 of 21
I have been an audiophile since I was old enough to listen to music. My dad always had nice equipment and I started my collection off of his old stuff at about the age of 14, once I was 16 I was able to buy my own stuff, not much but some. Now that I am 21 I can see myself never having any savings or retirement plan because of this and all my other hobbies.
biggrin.gif

Jun 15, 2002 at 11:12 AM Post #12 of 21
I started in 1993/4 buying headphones because I was always getting moaned at for having my music on too loud, but I didn't realise just how in depth this subject got until I joined Head-Fi... Even at Headwize I let the enourmity of this elude me... now here I am a lot poorer financially, but a lot richer sonically
biggrin.gif

Jun 15, 2002 at 11:18 AM Post #13 of 21
I joined head-fi in december I think, bought a pair of mx500 right away, gave my ****ty sony streetstyles to my elder brother, and finally bought a pair of DT250 a couple o' months ago. I'm pretty happy with them, but will buy a corda as soon as I have the money.

Jun 15, 2002 at 3:33 PM Post #14 of 21
I've been seriously into electronics, Hi-Fi and Headphones for over 40 years. It's a great hobby and depending upon your attitude, not one that 'has' to consume great quantities of $$. You can learn a great deal and have a lot of fun with various aspects of DIY without spending lotsa bucks. One of the things I like the most about this hobby is that I learn new things almost every day and I love learning in general. The physics of audio is completely fascinating.

Happy Listening!

Jun 15, 2002 at 3:36 PM Post #15 of 21
Quote:

Originally posted by eric343
Yeah RIGHT.

Your source needs upgrading, and so do your interconnects, and don't forget your power conditioners and cables. Have you ever heard of ProGold or sorbothane feet? What about resonance-damped shelving? Besides, Sennheiser is going to be coming out with some improved HD600s soon, and also have to make sure you've got some decent cables for them- try the Cardas.
very_evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif

just . . . so . . . evil. . .
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back