How long does EAC take? Others?
May 13, 2004 at 9:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

tmann

100+ Head-Fier
Please help a newb:

I know EAC is supposed to be the best way to rip, but I saw somewhere that it takes longer than real-time to do a CD. I'm not sure I have that kind of patience, esp. when I will have a spankin' new DAP in my hands and 800 CDs to choose from (I know they won't all fit).

Is EAC the only way to use LAME?

What is the best rip method+codec compromise of sound quality/rip time? (in your opinion, obviously).

May 13, 2004 at 9:20 PM Post #2 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by tmann
Please help a newb:

I know EAC is supposed to be the best way to rip, but I saw somewhere that it takes longer than real-time to do a CD. I'm not sure I have that kind of patience, esp. when I will have a spankin' new DAP in my hands and 800 CDs to choose from (I know they won't all fit).

Is EAC the only way to use LAME?

What is the best rip method+codec compromise of sound quality/rip time? (in your opinion, obviously).

Longer than real-time? i dont know where the place you read got their data, but in my experiences, with one of my drives it does about 8xish and with my other drive i get between 10-22x (22x after it spins up). THe only times when it drops below 1x is when there is a nasty scratch on the disc and EAC has to keep trying to read it so that there will be no pops or silences in the file. It usually takes me about 8 minutes to rip a cd into lame-ape and FLAC. not bad at all i think.

May 13, 2004 at 9:41 PM Post #3 of 12
If your CDs are in good condition and you're confident that they won't skip or pop, then you can turn off the error correction in EAC. Then it'll rip as fast as any other CD ripper out there, say around 10 minutes a disc.

EAC isn't the only program that uses Lame. dBpowerAMP and RazorLame are two programs that come to mind.

I like using RazorLame. I rip a bunch of CDs into wav files using EAC, then I use RazorLame to batch encode them all at once.

biggrin.gif

May 13, 2004 at 9:53 PM Post #4 of 12
How does connection method affect rip speed? I may have to use USB 1. Would this cause EAC to take forever?

May 13, 2004 at 10:11 PM Post #5 of 12
Make sure no other apps accessing or playing that audio disk that you put on your CD/DVD drive, if other apps like WMP is playing that audio disk and you try to rip it, it will rip only at 1x speed. When you do rip audio disk, it all depends on your processor speed, hard drive interface (ATA,SATA, SCSI, etc RAID set up) and speed (rpm ie 15000, 10000, 7200), CD/DVD drive interface (ATA or SCSI) and speed.

May 14, 2004 at 3:55 AM Post #6 of 12
Double post

May 14, 2004 at 3:56 AM Post #7 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by White Knight
Make sure no other apps accessing or playing that audio disk that you put on your CD/DVD drive, if other apps like WMP is playing that audio disk and you try to rip it, it will rip only at 1x speed. When you do rip audio disk, it all depends on your processor speed, hard drive interface (ATA,SATA, SCSI, etc RAID set up) and speed (rpm ie 15000, 10000, 7200), CD/DVD drive interface (ATA or SCSI) and speed.

Thank you.

Uh oh I don't know what this guy's talking about there's an awful lot of letters and numbers there maybe I should just keep quiet and not write anything and they'll think I know all about compu.. D'OH!!

May 14, 2004 at 7:56 AM Post #8 of 12
Actually, the most common reason for sluggish functionality of CD-ROM/DVD-ROM drives is the transfer mode on the IDE controller. In start->control panel->system->device manager (you are using Windows I assume), locate the IDE controller that your drive is connected on and check if it is in PIO mode. If it is, change it to "DMA if available" and reboot, then check again.

Sometimes it is stubborn and will stay in PIO, in which case you have to uninstall the whole IDE channel, reboot and force Windows to recognize/configure the channel again (you might want to check that DMA mode (or auto mode) is enabled in BIOS).

Ripping a CD in secure mode in EAC usually takes 8-10 min, slightly more on dirty/scratched CDs.

-kaitsuburi

May 16, 2004 at 1:05 AM Post #9 of 12
With secure mode, it only goes up to 6x when extracting, with burst mode i get 15x...use burst mode for your dap.

May 16, 2004 at 3:17 AM Post #11 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by jlo mein
for lame what alt presets are we supposed to be using again?

extreme?

I use extreme.

May 16, 2004 at 5:05 AM Post #12 of 12
That would depend on what quality you're looking for, now wouldn't it?
smily_headphones1.gif

I myself use --alt-preset standard, on the rare occasion I need to use an MP3 encoder. If/when I get a DAP, I'll prolly end up using that. It's actually quite good quality for the size. You can go up to extreme or insane if you wish. Really, just try them out. Everyone's equipment and ears are different. Also try adding the -fast tag, as that greatly speeds up encoding time, and, according to BlessingX, does not degrade quality at all.

(-:Stephonovich:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back