How long do your headphones last before they break?
Nov 20, 2008 at 12:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

jonathanjong

Headphoneus Supremus
And by "break", I don't mean "fall to pieces." Before there are significant physical problems, that cannot easily be fixed. This excludes small scratches, easily replaced bits popping out, etc. Go! Feel free to provide details, rants, and sob stories below.

Points of clarification: I'm asking about your experiences in general. So...take an average of the headphones you've gone through or something. Do comment about what cans seem more fragile, etc.

Nov 20, 2008 at 12:47 PM Post #2 of 23
Headphones with quality materials can last many years, even get better by time. Yet, headphones with low quality materials sound best at first and get worst with time passing. In another point of view, it also depends on the way they are used by their owner. Some user treat their possessions like garbage and eventually they turn in to that. Other treat them with great respect and caring, and could last for life.
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 20, 2008 at 12:59 PM Post #3 of 23
My hd497, only one in my gone list that actually died, broke after 3 years, the cup fell off from the headband, it seems it was only fixed by a small plastic ball. But I used to take it with me everywhere so that may not have helped it.
My cd3000 used only at home looks very dead in appearance after almost 8 years but still works perfectly. It seems to me that the cd3000 is one of the most fragile headphone in its price range so lasting so long is a very good sign
biggrin.gif
My hd650 also used only at home, looks and is much more solid than the cd3000 but it only has 3-4years and I bet it could last much longer than the cd3000 without looking as bad although it has lost a bit of paint from the center of the headband.
Other cans are much newer.
So I voted >10 years for cans that you use at home.

Nov 20, 2008 at 2:01 PM Post #5 of 23
My AKG K81DJ's have broken 2 times in 2 years. Starting to get really annoying. First time they were replaced, second time they said they don't cover breakage anymore.

Nov 20, 2008 at 6:07 PM Post #6 of 23
Haven't had any full sized cans break on me, but my Shure SE310s broke. The part of the cable that terminates at the earbuds themselves eventually tore and the wire was exposed. Soon after that the wire began wearing away, even after I wrapped it up in electrical tape. The cable tearing happened after about the first year and two months, then after that the wire wore away over the course of maybe 4 months. Those were sad times.

Nov 20, 2008 at 6:14 PM Post #7 of 23
idk, I break through ECH's like something horrible, they also go with me, mobile, so thats understandable

my SR-60's and SR-225's survive my daily use, and don't seem to show wear, the HD 580's seem to be the same way now that I've upgraded the cable (the stock cable is kind of flimsy)

NOW, my AH-D2000's on the other hand *rolleyes*

Nov 20, 2008 at 9:29 PM Post #10 of 23
I have only broken one pair of headphone (in my adult life that is). A 30+ year old Stax'en...
Says it all I guess.
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 21, 2008 at 8:19 AM Post #12 of 23
1977 I bought my first headphone: Pioneer SE-305 it is still in use by my daughter while she is watching tv, only the foam pads are resolved in time. The same with my Sennheiser HD50, bought in the early eighties, also in use by my daughter (she inherits most of my pc and audio stuff) Both the headphones are working and looking fine.

Nov 21, 2008 at 1:05 PM Post #13 of 23
The only headphone I had that broke on me many times was those dollar store headphones.

But real headphones, I never had any that I own break on me. Since I take reall good care of my stuff.

Nov 21, 2008 at 1:42 PM Post #14 of 23
I'm notorious for breaking sony headphones, but finally saved up for some akg 701's. I play guitar, and often practice at night or early in the morning running phones through a 40 watt traynor tube amp. I've only had these 701's for a few days now, but I'm totally happy with them!

Nov 21, 2008 at 1:45 PM Post #15 of 23
I Broke the Panasonic DJ-100 headphones, out of shear rage with the CRAP it spills out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back