How long do headphones usually last?
Sep 3, 2003 at 9:30 PM Post #16 of 26
HD600s carry a 5-year warranty (assuming you buy them from an "official" seller). I'm assuming they'll last at least that long. With my luck they'll last 5-years and a month
biggrin.gif

Apr 6, 2013 at 7:16 PM Post #17 of 26
Quote:
HD600s carry a 5-year warranty (assuming you buy them from an "official" seller). I'm assuming they'll last at least that long. With my luck they'll last 5-years and a month
biggrin.gif

I am curious to know who sells these headphones with a 5 year warranty, the Sennheiser Canada website says the warranty is 2 years

Sep 20, 2017 at 8:51 AM Post #22 of 26
Hard to say in general as to of how long things last.
I don't always agree with the whole 'the driver goes bad', I think a lot of this argument has to do with how you use the volume for one.
My experiences.
AudioTechnica ATH-IM50 I've owned going on about three years now, the cable has gone crud, aside from that they still sound the same. After I get a replacement cable I'd assume they'd last longer.
AudioTechnica ATH-M50 I've hard for about six to seven years now, same situation though. The cable has started to poop itself, apart from me being able to determine better audio, the M50 still sounds as splashy, & detailed as it always has.
These are my two main experiences.

I think with IEMs these days drivers have gotten a lot better and may have the potential of lasting a very long time if given proper care.
Same goes for any other pair of IEMs/Headphones, as long as they're properly taken care of I wouldn't imagine things going wrong, I still don't totally agree with the driver argument! I do think though your products may make it through twenty years or more as long as they're given the right treatment.

Sep 20, 2017 at 9:08 AM Post #23 of 26
What if you decided to buy a headphone just to store it away; Would the magnets inside those headphones, say after 50 years, become useless?
For how long can one store a headphone(new in package) before it becomes unusable?

As long as the magnet does not rust or get exposed to heat or massive magnetic field which demagnetizes it, the magnet will be fine. Honestly if those things happened to a headphones plenty of other things will be wrong with the headphones.

Last edited:
Sep 20, 2017 at 9:43 AM Post #25 of 26
Yep to you two!
I'd say with IEMs it takes a lot of true caring for them, & really watching what you're doing.
Like I originally said though, magnets shouldn't give out too easily, & secondly most electronics shouldn't be kept in hot conditions in general.

Sep 20, 2017 at 10:29 AM Post #26 of 26
It's an interesting question, I was hoping to find more replies.

I've never spent more than $25 on a pair of headphones and based on how long they last, er, don't last, I'm reluctant to spend too much more than that. 1 Sony and 2 Philips have only lasted, maybe, 1000 hours each. I keep buying the Philips because the fit is just about perfect for me (neckband SBC HS500) and the sound is OK. I tried Koss KSC55 this time and they don't fit as well, the angle of the earpads doesn't connect with my ears too well, so I lose the best of their sound capibility.

Anyway, I think about trying something else with more isolation and better sound, but will 'phones in the $30 to $60 range last any longer or are they just as fragile?

PRODJ100 by Koss has aluminum cups, and is quite durable, if you are careful with your cans when folding them up (which i avoid as much as possible). They sound incredible , and not just for their price. They are EQ friendly, and with right pads (down the road u can pick up hm5 sheeps) . Anyway ppl pick these up for $30 sometimes which is pure insane. With a little bit of EQ, and pad change, though stock is great sound too, they are like 95% of "mid-fi" level. Also, lifetime warranty!

kossheadphones01.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back