How Long Could You Live with In-Laws???
Feb 13, 2007 at 9:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

lextek

Headphoneus Supremus
Well after 18 years of living in CT my wife decided that she whated to be closer to her sisters and brother in NY. Well I have been with the same Lexus dealership since there has been Lexus. So I found a job in a Rochester area Lexus dealership. I knew I was in for trouble. Well we have spent almost 6 months leaving with the sister and brother-in-law!
The house in CT just sold today. So there WILL be a Rochester area Amptoberfest!

So how long could you last????
cool.gif

Feb 13, 2007 at 9:47 PM Post #2 of 22
I feel bad saying it but I really don't think I could live with my mother in-law for longer than a few days. She complains a lot (!), thinks the world is against her and that no one has had it worse than her. I'm not the only one who feels this way, but would never say it to her face...

Feb 13, 2007 at 9:58 PM Post #4 of 22
our record is 9 months of mother, mother-in-law, and sister back to back to back helping us when our kid was just born. NOT fun in a tiny 1-bedroom with a baby and dog and 3 adults.

but that's nothing compared to a dentist pal of mine who has had his folks live with him ever since he got married - poor wife had to live with them for 2 years, then she and he moved to the west coast, and the in laws came right along with em! they are going on 5 years now - she must be going crazy, never knowing married life without in-law supervision.

Feb 13, 2007 at 10:11 PM Post #5 of 22
I could live with my in-laws (father and step-mother) for 3 days. I know because we were going to stay the week with them at their summerhome, and we couldn't make it past 3 days.
cool.gif

My mother-in-law is cool, but she's not the cleanest person around, so I could never actually stay in her house.
eek.gif

My husband can stay with his in-laws for 3 weeks, but I think he could have stomached 2 a bit better. They're much easier to be around than my in-laws, but he kept having to bite his tongue so much because the core belief systems are such polar-opposites.

Feb 13, 2007 at 10:51 PM Post #6 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by lextek /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well after 18 years of living in CT my wife decided that she whated to be closer to her sisters and brother in NY. Well I have been with the same Lexus dealership since there has been Lexus. So I found a job in a Rochester area Lexus dealership. I knew I was in for trouble. Well we have spent almost 6 months leaving with the sister and brother-in-law!
The house in CT just sold today. So there WILL be a Rochester area Amptoberfest!

So how long could you last????
cool.gif

I can tolerate my mother in law for a few hours at a time, at the most. Fortunately, my wife and her siblings feel pretty much the same, so it generally works out OK for me.

Feb 14, 2007 at 1:11 AM Post #8 of 22
I think the question should be "How long would my in-laws be alive if they lived with me?"

(I technically don't have any because I'm divorced)

Feb 14, 2007 at 2:12 AM Post #11 of 22
My in-laws have been living at our home for 8 months....and we've only been married for 15 months!! ARRRGHHHH! It started with "come to Colorado and stay with us until you find a place to live". Well, they moved here from Phoenix and their situation changed with regards to both health and income, so here they are...still. Oh well, at least they're with us where they're safe and taken care of.
blink.gif

Feb 14, 2007 at 2:59 AM Post #12 of 22
Culturally chinese children are expected to take care of their elders when they are too old to do so themselves. So, my wife and I have been conditioned to do so by culture and family values.

My in-laws are pretty easy going from what I can tell. My wife is the youngest of 7, and being a daughter on top of that puts her last on the list. My in laws currently live with my oldest brother in law. My mother in law is a GREAT cook so in that regard I'd be set. My father in law is a little moody, and he has mild alheimerz (SP?) so he can be difficult.

Living with my parents once again... though that would be tough. We dont really see eye to eye on a lot of things.

Feb 14, 2007 at 4:06 AM Post #13 of 22
Father in law- a long time. One of the most generous and thoughtful people anyone could ever meet. The type of person who can never do enough for you, and would never ask a thing in return (he brings soda to the garbage truck workers, for example- that kind of stuff every time you turn around). I admire him a lot.

Mother in law- longer than my wife could. She is also very thoughtful and a great person. She and my wife talk on the phone ~3 times a week, but after a 5 day visit, my wife is ready for her to leave.

Brother/ sister in law- hardly know them. My wife is much closer to my siblings than to her own, so I would assume not more than a day or 2.

Feb 14, 2007 at 4:09 AM Post #14 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by plainsong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I could live with my in-laws (father and step-mother) for 3 days. I know because we were going to stay the week with them at their summerhome, and we couldn't make it past 3 days.
cool.gif

My mother-in-law is cool, but she's not the cleanest person around, so I could never actually stay in her house.
eek.gif

My husband can stay with his in-laws for 3 weeks, but I think he could have stomached 2 a bit better. They're much easier to be around than my in-laws, but he kept having to bite his tongue so much because the core belief systems are such polar-opposites.

This is exactly the same for my wife and I, well, that is, if I were you, and my wife was your husband, or uh, OK, now I'm confused...
biggrin.gif

-Ed

Feb 14, 2007 at 6:07 AM Post #15 of 22
[size=medium]4

nanoseconds![/size]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back