How long can headphones last and what about preventitive maintenance?
Sep 11, 2009 at 1:31 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

chud

500+ Head-Fier
I just bought a new used pair of MS2i's and I was just curious how long these things could last. I know there are plenty of vintage headphones out there that are ten or twenty years old.

Is there anything I need to be doing to them regularly besides not dropping them? Cleaning maybe?

Sep 11, 2009 at 11:50 PM Post #2 of 15
It's better than that - there are still many 1969 HD414's out there still working.

Given reasonably good manufacturing practices, there's no evidence that a high quality headphone can't outlive you.

Pads may disintegrate and cables may go stiff, but these can be replaced.

Do not physically abuse them.

Do not keep them in a place that is too hot.

Do not keep them in a place that is too damp.

Do not keep them in a place that is too chemically ractive (like downwind of a paper factory, on the beach, etc).

Do not immerse them in vats of sticky liquids.

I could go on, but, that really covers the basics.

Sep 12, 2009 at 12:39 AM Post #4 of 15
Take care of your headphones, and they will last for a long time. Treat them like crap, and they'll shut down immediately. My sister wonders how I'm still on only my first pair of KSC-75s and she's burned through 5 in 3 years...

Sep 12, 2009 at 3:40 AM Post #5 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by ericj

Do not keep them in a place that is too chemically ractive (like downwind of a paper factory, on the beach, etc).

CRAP! NOW you tell me!
frown.gif
k701smile.gif

Thanks everyone. I always take care of all of my things, I was just wondering if there was some above and beyond precautions to take.

Sep 12, 2009 at 8:07 PM Post #8 of 15
All of the soft parts (leather, foam, some cable sheaths, etc.) will eventually wear out, but the transducers themselves, if taken care of, should last longer than you. There are no spiders or surrounds like in speakers; the membrane is just high quality pressed plastic as far as I understand it. The voice coil and the wires should last just as long if care is taken.

Sep 12, 2009 at 8:38 PM Post #10 of 15
40-50 years if not more. If taken well cared off that is...
I have had pairs which were 30+ years old (~1974) and still going strong.
smile.gif

Sep 13, 2009 at 1:01 PM Post #15 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by ericj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's better than that - there are still many 1969 HD414's out there still working.

Given reasonably good manufacturing practices, there's no evidence that a high quality headphone can't outlive you.

Pads may disintegrate and cables may go stiff, but these can be replaced.

Do not physically abuse them.

Do not keep them in a place that is too hot.

Do not keep them in a place that is too damp.

Do not immerse them in vats of sticky liquids.

I could go on, but, that really covers the basics.

Pretty much all there is to it. I don't bother with dust covers or any of that junk. My phones hang on my bed's headboard when I'm not using 'em, and go on my head when I am. That's all. I don't pet them, or feed them, or take them to the groomer's, or to walks in the park... well... my SR80s frequently go on walks with me, but they are the exception.
redface.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back