how is the volume output on the Expanium 301 or 303?
Aug 7, 2002 at 10:28 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

ultraviolet353

Head-Fier
I purchased a Philips PCDP AX 5111 at Target, and I really like it. Has a nice hearty output to my Sony EX-70's; I have all the volume I need. I was thinking of stepping up to the Expanium mp3/CD player (301 or303). I was wondering how the volume output in those units are. Will it be less than I have, more, or the same? The Expanium is the only one I am looking at because they are the only ones that have a belt clip.

Aug 7, 2002 at 12:44 PM Post #2 of 13
I cannot answer your question, sorry, but would you care to give a bit more info on the Philips portable you got in terms of sound quality and ability to drive phones.

Aug 8, 2002 at 6:52 AM Post #3 of 13
Ultraviolet, i got the same machine as you, and i think its a very very good purchase. better construction quality than pana's or sonys at the same price. 49.99.

ax5113_17_ls.jpg

I got the red one, only one color offered at the circuit city i went to.

and this is yours.
ax5119_17_ls.jpg

This philip's machine really look nice.

Aug 8, 2002 at 7:05 AM Post #4 of 13
Yeah, I really like the looks of mine to (purchased at Target). I am really happy with it. I think I will test an Expanium and see what it is all about, and how the sound comapares to what I have now. Only problem is I like the looks of my model now over the Expanium.

Aug 8, 2002 at 11:33 AM Post #5 of 13
ultraviolet353

Look at audioreview.com I think, people there were complaining about the expandiums sounding weak and bad.

Any coment on your unit though?
The reason I am so persistent with this is because Philips PCDP are not often discussed here, but get good reviews generally (audioreview, epinions etc.)

Aug 9, 2002 at 4:35 AM Post #8 of 13
ive tested a shockwave panasonic mp3/cd player. and indeed the headphone out is really weak. its the one that have the color rubber buttons. the design has the circular feel to it.

Aug 9, 2002 at 5:50 AM Post #9 of 13
Well, I answered my own question by getting the EXP301 tonight, and I love it. I got it for $89 at Fry's Electronics which is $30 less than everywhere else I 've seen it. I'm sure you could find this price on Yahoo Shopping. People like Kenchi1983 and I who had the Jogprrof models will be very pleased with this baby. The sound is as good or better than the AX5111, and the output power seems to be a little stronger. I definitely recommend this one.

Aug 9, 2002 at 6:38 AM Post #10 of 13
Ultraviolet, im wondering what headphones you are using.

And ummm, i wouldnt get two cd players at the same time, might be a overkill. or u can return the AX 5111.

and maybe use the money on something else.

Aug 9, 2002 at 6:33 PM Post #11 of 13
I am goig to return the AX 5111. I am using the Sony EX-70 (unmodded) which I know has a mixed reputation (at best) on these boards, but I happen to love them. Maybe not audiophile quality with respect to detail (IMO the detail isn't that bad), but an incredible full sounding headphone that totally immerses you especially when used in conjunction with a pcdp.

Aug 16, 2002 at 4:08 AM Post #12 of 13
Well since there's already one Expanium thread going, I guess I'll just ask here. I'm less interested in the headphone out on these things than I am the line out. Anyone with a decent amp & headphones tell me about how good the line out is on the EXP50x or EXP30x? Do they even have a line out?

Aug 16, 2002 at 4:15 AM Post #13 of 13
There is no line out in any Expanium. The headphone out doubles as a line out when volume is set at 8 (per instructrions). I have the EXP 301, and I love it. Sounds great. Has a belt clip (which is the only company that offers a belt clip for a pcdp; in my book a belt clip is a must)) file navigation is a breeze. It does not support ID3 tags which I actually like. You just put music in "folders" alphabetically and navigate from there. Great looking too. I love mine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back