How is the E-MU 02 CardBus standalone?
Dec 27, 2006 at 4:54 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

PeterDLai

Headphoneus Supremus
I am interested in upgrading my integrated laptop audio, and was wondering how the E-MU 02 CardBus does by itself. I believe it is part of a larger package called the 1616M. But you can purchase it direct from E-MU standalone for $149.99, right around the same price as an Echo Indigo DJ.

Can anybody compare these two? Or perhaps provide insight on what alternatives are out there that are better than either of these?

Thanks!

Dec 27, 2006 at 5:14 AM Post #2 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by PeterDLai /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am interested in upgrading my integrated laptop audio, and was wondering how the E-MU 02 CardBus does by itself. I believe it is part of a larger package called the 1616M. But you can purchase it direct from E-MU standalone for $149.99, right around the same price as a Echo Indigo DJ.

Can anybody compare these two? Or perhaps provide insight on what alternatives are out there that are better than either of these?

Thanks!

That's very intriguing. I have never heard of anyone using the the E-MU 02 CardBus for an output. By the description on the E-MU website it seems that it has a lot of potential. I wonder what DAC it is using?

Dec 27, 2006 at 11:26 AM Post #4 of 6
Found this information on the product page under Specifications.

Headphone Amplifier (Card)
Type: linear power amplifier
D/A converter: AK4396 (card)
Gain Range: 85dB
Maximum Output Power: 20mW (card)
Output impedance: 22ohms
Frequency Response (20Hz-20kHz): +0.0/-0.07dB
Dynamic Range (A-weighted): 115dB (card)
Signal-to-Noise Ratio (A-weighted): 115dB (card)
THD+N (1kHz, max gain): 600ohm load: -96dB (card)

Here's the DAC product page.

AKM Sets the Standard for Low Out-of-Band DAC Noise (with the AK4396)

Dec 29, 2006 at 1:28 AM Post #5 of 6
As I mentioned to the OP in reply to his message, emu 02 is really excellent on its bass and treble extension and flat mid-range, but most of the time I would treat it as a DAC. It also is pretty uncolored. Echo itself rolls off a bit in top and bottom. emu 02 would be my choice right now for a DAC (then combined with a stationary amp) if it fit my asus w3j...
mad.gif
(damn new pcmcia express!!!) - anyone know a solution to such a dilema? xD (firewire pcmcia anyone)

Dec 30, 2006 at 11:56 AM Post #6 of 6
Some of us only want headphone out! But reading around its all about a soundcard or get a DAC like the total bithead

I'm in the UK and apart from Echo and E-Mu for PCMCIA offerings there is only RME. But they seem to put more weight in transfer rates than audio performance?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back