How is Taiwan for studying and living??
Jul 25, 2011 at 3:42 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

sulkoudai

500+ Head-Fier
If one of the schools (TAS and TES) accepts me, I will be going to Taiwan, Taipei for the next 3.5 years. And I was wondering how are things there?? I there anything I should know? What is the best carrier for my iPhone?? Tips on where to live?? Is electronics cheaper there??

And most importantly, how is headphone shopping there??

I am currently in Australia. But NOT Australian

If you been to Taiwan in the past or live there please answer me.

And how are TAS and TES compared to each other for years 10-12 and are there other schools I should consider??

Thanks in advance.

Jul 25, 2011 at 4:25 AM Post #2 of 7
I was in Taiwan earlier in the year for a holiday including one week in Taipei.

I can't answer any of your questions on high school there but I can tell that when I went to the Nova computer shops near Taipei Main Station their prices were not (significantly) cheaper than here in Australia. Actually some stuff was more expensive.

Do you have any specific questions about living there?? Until then I'll just ramble along...

Can I assume you know some Chinese as you'll be going to school there (or are they international schools with instruction in English)? If you dont know Chinese you definitely need to learn some Mandarin and Taiwanese/Hokkien because not many people speak English (although streets and MRT stations have signs in English).

Speaking of public transport, it's 10 times more efficient and advanced than the tragic crap they subject us to here in Sydney. Buy an EasyCard and enjoy being able to get to places on schedule.

Most food is cheap and delicious including at the night markets.

Probably best not to drink the tap water. You will be within walking distance to a 7/11 from just about anywhere in Taipei and you can buy anything (including bottled water) from there.

Those buses loaded with mainlanders are everywhere, especially around the tourist traps. Arrrrr, so annoying!!!  They're so disrespectful of everyone and everything.

Jul 25, 2011 at 6:10 PM Post #3 of 7
I worked and lived in Taiwan for a bit a few years back and know quite a few people from TAS. They've all turned out to be well educated people, so I'd say TAS is a great place to go.

I personally love Taiwan, but CANNOT stand the heat (humidity really). It's disgusting.

There are some headphone shops. I forgot the main one, but there are a few TW users here that can point out where they are specifically.

Food is cheap, as long as you eat Taiwanese food. It's not as cheap as when I was younger, but still cheap in comparison to eating here in NYC.

As for electronics, the area that the above poster mentioned, you have to bargain. It's a MUST! But generally, the prices aren't phenomenal. What I did like about that area is that they have many electronics that you won't be able to see in stores here in the states. So I had a lot of fun playing with asian models of electronics, which tend to be "cooler".

It's a load of fun, and clubbing is pretty awesome. I recently went back for 2 weeks October of 2010 with a few friends and went on a party spree.

Jul 26, 2011 at 11:26 PM Post #5 of 7
I actually used to live in Tianmu, which is where TAS is located. I loved the area because half the time, you can get away with speaking english since most of the kids in the area go to TAS.

Rent is very expensive if you live in Taipei City, but as you travel a bit further, it's not as crazy. Tianmu is a decent neighborhood, a bit far from the city, but that's probably where you'll want to live since that's where your school would be. You can get a studio from $350 NTD to infinity, lol. But it's much more reasonable than in the heart of the city

Users who are viewing this thread

Back