how is audio-gd phoenix different to its c-3mk3?
May 12, 2010 at 10:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

superjohny

500+ Head-Fier
they are pretty much about the same price.

it gives me some kind of feeling that phoenix has more features and c-3mk3 has better amping. 

is it so? i am very interested to know how different will they sound to amp a headphone.

May 13, 2010 at 2:00 AM Post #2 of 12
Hello

The C-3mk3 wont run headphones but is a better line level preamp than the Phoenix.

The Phoenix is a great line level preamp but the C-3mk3 is a dramatic improvement.  Better imaging, detail, decay on notes.

Regards

Macrog

May 13, 2010 at 3:26 AM Post #3 of 12
thanks, Macrog

i might have to switch to my origin plan of reference 9+HR Buda/CS300X to pair the balanced D7000.

any better amps dat's forgiving of bad recording or lossy formats(320kbps mp3)?

May 13, 2010 at 4:09 AM Post #4 of 12
Definitely make sure all your music is in FLAC format or you'll be wasting your money. 
smile.gif

May 13, 2010 at 3:47 PM Post #5 of 12
May 14, 2010 at 4:39 PM Post #6 of 12
Doesnt the phoenix use a newer version of the bpm module? just went to the website, and it seems he did a major update,and there is a new C3, called the end version, its using the v2 module, and is styled more like the phoenix, with the rounded corners.

May 15, 2010 at 7:53 PM Post #9 of 12

Quote:
Hello

The C-3mk3 wont run headphones but is a better line level preamp than the Phoenix.

The Phoenix is a great line level preamp but the C-3mk3 is a dramatic improvement.  Better imaging, detail, decay on notes.

Regards

Macrog

Thanks for the info on the C3MkIII ! I had begun to wonder if this preamp wouldn't be a better fit for my ref system although after much modification (Phoenix DIY Max mod) I can't imagine how much better the C3 could be from the Phoenix (when use as a preamp). That being said I'm definitely taking a long hard look at the C3. It would enable me to bump the Phoenix into a dedicated head fi role. One piece of advice if I may be able to suggest or address a weakness in your stated system source. Upgrade to Win7 over XP Pro...the audio subsystem of Vista/Win7 is vastly superior to XP with a very noticeable improvement in SQ. I was shocked by the difference myself. Try it and see what you think (if you can). It's definitely worth the hassle and added expense.

Peete.

Jan 21, 2011 at 9:53 AM Post #11 of 12
So who has done this- bought a C-3 or C-39 and use as a headphone amp? Kingwa confirmed that overall output will be less than Phoenix with stock modules but it may not matter enough.
Anyone have direct experience?

Jan 25, 2011 at 9:56 PM Post #12 of 12
Well, I am trying the C-39MK3 with headphone output added to compare to my Phoenix. I really want ACSS preamp output to the C10SE amp which the Phoenix does not have.
I will post impressions. Also trying the NFB-12 for giggles.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back