How important are interconnects
Mar 8, 2006 at 11:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

Jersey

New Head-Fier
As you can see in my sig, I'm not running the most Hi-Fi amplification or source system. My question is, how important is the interconnect between my EB01 and my PA2V2? I am using a mini-to-mini from Radioshack to connect the two. With such a low-fi amp, is it really needed to upgrade to a better interconnect? Thanks.

Mar 9, 2006 at 3:33 AM Post #4 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jersey
As you can see in my sig, I'm not running the most Hi-Fi amplification or source system. My question is, how important is the interconnect between my EB01 and my PA2V2? I am using a mini-to-mini from Radioshack to connect the two. With such a low-fi amp, is it really needed to upgrade to a better interconnect? Thanks.

I heard a big difference between the interconnect that my Iriver mp3 player included, and a radio shack one. The radio shack one is clearly less congested. There were 2 grades of Radio Shack mini-mini cables, and I was referring to the lower grade one (the higher grade one was labelled "shielded").

Mar 9, 2006 at 4:06 AM Post #5 of 26
Interconnects can make a big difference. The real question is what kind of difference you consider big. I tend to feel that even some of the most subtle differences are big. Either way, interconnects can make a gigantic difference even on the most modest systems. I rememeber the first time I got "real" cables with a modest rotel setup and crapo Bose speakers. That was an upgrade from Monster cable to Custom House Barracuda. The change was enormous. It sounded like the entire system was getting an entire octave lower. I currently use Siltech cables as my reference whihc are phenomenal, albeit incredibly expensive.

Mar 9, 2006 at 4:43 AM Post #6 of 26
Blue Jeans Cable is cheep and great, check them out.

Mar 9, 2006 at 5:06 AM Post #7 of 26
Wow, switching from one that came with Echo Indigo, not the cheapest one btw, to Zu Pivot was huge and noticable to even deaf difference.
Extremely well defined and separated details.

Mar 9, 2006 at 5:17 AM Post #8 of 26
Important enough to have their own sub-forum
wink.gif

[size=xx-small]can't believe I'm the first to say it[/size]

Mar 9, 2006 at 5:48 AM Post #11 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jersey

I tried going from a cheap interconnect (freebie) to a zu pivot. I heard NO difference whatsoever, except my wallet is thinner.

If YOU believe it makes a difference, it'll make a difference to YOU. My advice is don't believe it-- your wallet will thank you.
biggrin.gif

Mar 9, 2006 at 6:12 AM Post #12 of 26
As you can see opinions are very polarized on this issue.

The correct answer is try them for yourself, use your own ears, and decide. Try borrowing some cables or buy them from a manufacturer with a good return policy.

This thread really belongs in the cables, power, tweaks, and accessories forum btw.

Mar 9, 2006 at 6:17 AM Post #13 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by atx
I tried going from a cheap interconnect (freebie) to a zu pivot. I heard NO difference whatsoever, except my wallet is thinner.

If YOU believe it makes a difference, it'll make a difference to YOU. My advice is don't believe it-- your wallet will thank you.
biggrin.gif

Not sure what your setup and source were, but I definitely had a WOW experience with Gilmore V2-SE and HD-650 when I switch to Zu Pivot. But I agree that it does not belong here.
Move on to Cables forum.
580smile.gif

Mar 9, 2006 at 4:09 PM Post #14 of 26
I'd say don't worry too much about it until you are very happy with the gear you've got. At that point, start acquiring some nice cables and learn what your gear can REALLY do. And for the love of god, buy used!! Check out audiogon.com or usedcable.com

Mar 9, 2006 at 4:51 PM Post #15 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by BradH
I echo whitebread's comment, can't go wrong with Blue Jeans Cable.

Make it a third! Their products deliver good quality and good construction at a good price. Yes you can buy better, but their products are very high on the value scale. And they are now making more mini-cable products, even thought they might not be listed on their web site. I tend to think of their products as the Honda Accords of the cable world. You can do worse, and you can do better, but for the price, they have few competitors who can deliver what they can.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back