How has your musical taste changes as you grow older?
Aug 12, 2005 at 4:11 AM Post #16 of 68
Age 8 - *NSYNC, F5VE, Backstreet Boys!
Age 11 - Simple Plan, Alien Ant Farm, Eminem
Age 12 - Dashboard Confessional, Something Corporate, Fall Out Boy, Rooney
Age 14 - Ben Kweller, Modest Mouse, Deathcab, Franz Ferdinand, The Postal Service, The Killers, Phantom Planet, Sahara Hotnights, Weezer, The Four Tops, The Temptations and other motown, etc.
Age 15 - MF Doom, Madvillain, Atmosphere, Eyedea & Abilities, Felt, Gorillaz, Del tha Funkee Homosapien, Eyedea/Oliver Hart, Jack Johnson, Raul Midon

From ages 8-12, I had no idea. :\

Aug 12, 2005 at 4:21 AM Post #17 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by virometal
Second, I discovered Jazz.

i find this odd.

i also discovered jazz, but i listen to more aggresive music now than i ever have in the past. i mean, 'back in the day' i would have never dreamed of listening to anything like Necrophagist, Cynic, Watchtower, Death.. or really, just about anything in the entire technical metal genre. if you were to play me something that resembled Don Caballero or Control Denied, i most likely would have dismissed it as garbage. Dillinger Escape Plan? Kayo Dot? forget it.. they wouldn't have recieved even 5 minutes of my time.

today, artists like that are among my most listened to.. and jazz has had a huge hand in that. or rather, not jazz specifically, but the concepts behind the artform.

Aug 12, 2005 at 4:28 AM Post #18 of 68
Age 5: Whatever was on my mom's radio in the kitchen. (Country, Elvis)
Age 8: KISS
Age 12: Nothing but classical
Age 18: Added the Beatles to my classical
Age 19: Added Bob Dylan
Age 20: Added Bill Monroe
Age 21: Added all 50's & 60's rock and some 90's plus Zappa
Age 22: Added R.E.M.
Age 23: Added V.U.
Age 25: Added the Delta Blues
Age 27: Added Bowie and all glam rock from 70's
Age 30: Added some jazz
Age 34: Unexpectedly found myself liking a lot of current bands in the last year or so (The Shins, Modest Mouse, Franz Ferdinand). I'm not accustomed to being anywhere near the mainstream! My main focus is still classical, but I hope to be open to any good stuff that crosses my path.

Aug 12, 2005 at 4:32 AM Post #19 of 68
Basically, I went from rock to free jazz to classical to avante garde (that's college for you), and then back again, with a sprinkling of blues and world music:

1975; age 13 -- Black Sabbath , Led Zep

1978; age 16 -- Beatles, Jethro Tull, Grateful Dead, Doors, Dylan, Stones, Pink Floyd

1981; age 19 -- Grateful Dead, Talking Heads, The Cure, U2, Echo and the Bunnymen, Velvet Underground, Pink Floyd

1984; age 22 -- Grateful Dead, Talking Heads, Television, Joy Division/New Order, Sun Ra, Coltrane, Eric Dolphy, Ornette Coleman, Miles Davis, Mingus, Bowie, Pink Floyd, Hendrix

1987; age 25 -- REM, Late Beethoven Piano sonatas and string quartets, Bartok, Schoenberg, Elliot Carter, Duke Ellington, Lightin' Hopkins

1990; age 28 -- Sonic Youth, Dylan, John Lee Hooker

1998; age 36 -- Sonic YOuth, Grateful Dead, Bardo Pond, Spiritualized, Stockhausen, Morton Feldman, World Music, 20th Century Classical, Medieval Chant, Archie Shepp, Dylan, Pink Floyd

2001; age 39 -- Phish, Grateful Dead, World Music, Stereolab, Spacemen 3, Pavement, Yo La Tengo, Sebadhoh, Sonic Youth, Elf Power, Coltrane, Sun Ra, Dolphy, Ornette, Medieval Chant, Slint, Polvo, Can, Amon Duul, Galaxie 500, Radiohead, Led Zep, Acid Mothers Temple, Ghost, John Fahey, Pink Floyd

2004; age 42 -- Grateful Dead, World Music, Pavement, Yo La Tengo, Sebadhoh, Sonic Youth, Coltrane, Sun Ra, Miles Davis, Dolphy, Ornette, Stockhausen, Morton Feldman, Bach solo piano, JOMF, No Neck Blues Band, Terry Riley, Velvet Underground, Dream Syndicate, Television, Spacemen 3, Can, Amon Duul, Radiohead, Arvo Part, Stereolab, Pink Floyd, Hendrix

Aug 12, 2005 at 4:43 AM Post #20 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by n00b
Age 14 - Ben Kweller, Modest Mouse, Deathcab, Franz Ferdinand, The Postal Service, The Killers, Phantom Planet, Sahara Hotnights, Weezer, The Four Tops, The Temptations and other motown, etc.
Age 15 - MF Doom, Madvillain, Atmosphere, Eyedea & Abilities, Felt, Gorillaz, Del tha Funkee Homosapien, Eyedea/Oliver Hart, Jack Johnson, Raul Midon

Holy crap! That post made me feel really old.

You know what? I think if I had the internet at those ages my tastes in music would have changed really rapidly as well. But I didn't have the benefit of this exposure to so much music at my fingertips. I had to rely on radio and MTV/VH1 mostly.

Aug 12, 2005 at 4:47 AM Post #21 of 68
Yes, the older I get, the more I like Britney Spears. No, wait... you said music, didn't you?
biggrin.gif

Aug 12, 2005 at 4:50 AM Post #22 of 68
When I was growing up in the late 70s and early 80s, I was listening to the typical Top 40 radio hits and Cantonese pop from Hong Kong. Then I became a DJ at my college's radio station, one that doesn't have a music collection and can't compete in any way or form with commercial radio stations. In another words, we have to play stuff no one played....independent stuff, long jazz pieces, new age before it became corporate, early Windham Hill records, David Soul, big bands, etc....there's when my ears opened up to all sorts of music.

Nowadays, I listen to almost anything, including country and rap. From 1930's jazz from Shanghai to Cantonese Opera. From Louis Armstrong to Snow Patrol. And everything in between.

Aug 12, 2005 at 3:28 PM Post #24 of 68
Thanks to Head-fi as a catalyst for my refining in musical tastes. Good music needs good phones!
biggrin.gif

15 --> Embraced cantonese pop, only because everyone else liked it.

17 --> Anything (int'l) mainstream. Eminem, Paul Oakenfold, Slipknot, Norah Jones.

18 --> Anything but mainstream. A Tribe Called Quest, Brian Eno, King Crimson, John Coltrane. Thought that pop music and mainstream music = crap.

19 --> Collection of 1,000 CDs of music dated before the mid 90's. Started to listen to classical music, Mozart.

19 and a bit more --> Studied classical music. Realization that even Mozart once seemed mainstream in the days of Beethoven. Nothing is really mainstream forever. There's no superior music, only music that fits into, or stikes a chord with your emotion, your beliefs, and your thoughts.

This moment --> Stravinsky (the best rock 'n roll in "Rite of Spring"!), Eric Clapton's Unplugged (coz John Grado told us to!), the Beatles, and the Rolling Stones. In addition, a great refrainment from getting that pretentious urge and smirk on my face when I see a Emo fanboy or Hiphop 'OG' at school.

Aug 12, 2005 at 3:58 PM Post #25 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by n00b

Question: How is it that you managed to like Fall Out Boy 3 years ago despite the notable curiosities that the only thing they had released at that point was a 3-track Chitown EP (or maybe a split LP with Project Rocket, depending on what time of year we're talking about here) and the fact that
the other bands you liked were MTV behemoths, with the exception of Rooney?

And how does somebody change from quintessential underground rock fan to quintessential underground hip-hop fan in one year?

Aug 12, 2005 at 5:54 PM Post #26 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by bigshot
Could you recommend some Bluegrass?
Thanks
Steve

Try anything by The Osborne Brothers. They are not as generic as Bill Monroe and not as modernized as Alison krauss. They, IMHO, illustrate the true essence of Bluegrass in both lyrics and sound.

Enjoy!

If not familiar, Go to Amazon.com > Music. Search Osborne Brothers. When an album appears, click on details. You then can try a sample of the tracks.
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 12, 2005 at 7:05 PM Post #27 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by kampfy
Question: How is it that you managed to like Fall Out Boy 3 years ago despite the notable curiosities that the only thing they had released at that point was a 3-track Chitown EP (or maybe a split LP with Project Rocket, depending on what time of year we're talking about here) and the fact that
the other bands you liked were MTV behemoths, with the exception of Rooney?

I'm not at all familiar with their catalog, but it says here that they had a full length out in 2002, which I'm assuming is when n00b was 12. And Something Corporate was an "MTV behemoth?" I don't even know who that is and I watch MTV.

Quote:

And how does somebody change from quintessential underground rock fan to quintessential underground hip-hop fan in one year?

I listen to Yo La Tengo, Superchunk, The Fiery Furnaces, and MF Doom/Madvillain, Def Jux, Rhymesayers, etc. at the same periods in time, never mind a year in between. Tons of people do. Why is that so crazy to you? I also go on binges where I'll listen to only Motown records for months at a time. Then put them away and never touch them for a year. I don't think any of this behavior is out of the ordinary.

Aug 12, 2005 at 8:49 PM Post #28 of 68
a common theme i'm seeing here is the loud energetic music of youth is gradually replaced with mellower fare. i know to "get" music like early metallica or alice in chains one has to put oneself in an aggressive mind-set, if not actually head-banging (something i couldn't do anymore if you paid me
tongue.gif
). maybe the sweetness of youth needs tempering with dark music. as i've grown older the darkness of life itself has provided enough, i don't need it in my music anymore really.

Aug 12, 2005 at 9:20 PM Post #29 of 68
I don't know if that's the case... I still listen to pretty agressive music, it just isn't stupid aggressive music. I don't mind ignorance... that can be beautiful (Louvin Bros, rural blues, etc.) I just don't like fake stuff pretending to be something it isn't. A lot of "kid music" is patently phoney, like wood grain contact paper.

See ya
Steve

Aug 12, 2005 at 9:36 PM Post #30 of 68
There is the the theory that kids like what drives their Dad nuts.
I remember Little Richard use to drive my Dad crazy. I may have played it more, for that reason......
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back