how good has it gotten? pretty darn good!
Jul 13, 2005 at 4:31 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

earache

100+ Head-Fier
let me preface this that i have joined the over 40 crowd in the past year and it's all down hill from here.

as i sit here listening to Patty Griffin via an ipod photo -> headroom coda -> ath cm7ti's it just amazes me how far audio lovers have come in the past 20 years. For any of the old timers, i would take my portable setup any day of the week over my first 'high end' setup with stacked advents, pioneer electronics, and ar turntable! My little $650 setup easily compares and exceeds the best from not to long ago. The soundstage presented on the live 'Rain' is amazing. We can all debate that this new amp is better or these headphones are more resolving, but now we are picking personel favorites. Audio is changing at a tremendous pace and the biggest bang for the buck is easily found in these forums and we all benefit. Definately exciting times are ahead.

thanks apple, headroom, and audio technica...

Jul 13, 2005 at 4:37 AM Post #2 of 4
I've gotta agree with that...things are getting better and better all the time. The new portable (both truly portable and more transportable) gear is surprisingly good. I'm getting ten times the use out of it as I am out of my main home rig.

Oh, and that main home rig? Sounds SOOO much better than the gear I bought as recently as 10 years ago.

PS - I also had that AR Turntable and Pioneer electronics.
biggrin.gif

Jul 13, 2005 at 2:21 PM Post #3 of 4
As much as folks say they love the vintage receivers and such, I'll take modern electronics any day over the sludge I listened to in my youth (probably didn't have the best gear back then anyhow!) This is the Golden Era of music listening as far as I'm concerned!

Jul 7, 2020 at 12:38 AM Post #4 of 4
I agree, it’s not just the audiophile world, it’s also in the recording world too. And I feel that audiophiles should be aware of this. I’m now doing research on home recording and it’s actually shocking on how you can record a musician, mix and master at home rather than a studio and get stunning results.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back