How good are the Headroom micro AMP and DAC...
Mar 14, 2006 at 8:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

silence57

100+ Head-Fier
I have a few good amps --- the Emmerline sr-71s and Channel Islands headphone amp with power supply. High quality as far as I'm concerned. But I've been hearing some good things about the headroom combo --- especially the DAC. I have the Total Bithead but it can't compare to the Emmerline IMHO. I suspect this might be the one combo I can keep for a long time.

Is it worth the $600 price of admission. I like rock/pop and use 650s, 880s, 595s, 701s, SR60s (what a steal for the price), and good canal phones. Is it the DAC that's key or getting both? TIA.
580smile.gif

Mar 14, 2006 at 8:31 PM Post #2 of 25
The DAC alone is very impressive. But uh.....sorry for not being able to answer your original question
redface.gif

Mar 15, 2006 at 4:53 AM Post #7 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by silence57
I have a few good amps --- the Emmerline sr-71s and Channel Islands headphone amp with power supply. High quality as far as I'm concerned. But I've been hearing some good things about the headroom combo --- especially the DAC. I have the Total Bithead but it can't compare to the Emmerline IMHO. I suspect this might be the one combo I can keep for a long time.

Is it worth the $600 price of admission. I like rock/pop and use 650s, 880s, 595s, 701s, SR60s (what a steal for the price), and good canal phones. Is it the DAC that's key or getting both? TIA.
580smile.gif

I like the combo a lot too, but there isn't really a similar combo to compare to, so it would difficult to say how good it really is.

The DAC really is the star of the combo though.

Mar 15, 2006 at 8:13 AM Post #8 of 25
I've had a Micro amp about a month, and my Grado HPA-1/RS-1 and Earmax are getting no love. The Micro is incredible with Senn 580s, Grado RS-1s and HP-2s, just incredible.

And it can drive my AKS K-1000s loudly without obvious distortion (which neither of the Grados or the Earmax can claim, not by a long shot). There are surely more powerful amps for the K1Ks, but the fact that the Micro can drive them at all and sound good doing it is incredible, as I'm sure it wasn't designed with that in mind at all.

I am truly impressed by it, in the dynamic headphone realm it is unbeatable at the price.

-- Gordie

Mar 15, 2006 at 2:37 PM Post #9 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by silence57
Is it the DAC that's key or getting both?

The DAC is unquestionably an awesome unit, really a great value too. You should really seriously consider the Desktop Module for the amp (free upgrade at time of ordering) which sounds better than the standard Micro Module, so this should be a no brainer if you plan on using the amp for home/desktop use. If for portable use, then you might have to weigh the reduction in battery life. But overall, the stack is a very solid setup.

Mar 15, 2006 at 6:28 PM Post #10 of 25
The Micro DAC is simply awesome.

I rave about it so much, I'm getting sick of my own posts. Yet I constantly, post on it because it deserves the credit.

I love my Xin amp, but I'd love to get a Micro AMP (DM module) simply because the Micro Stack look so good together visually.

Especially with an "on-the-go" rig the Micro Stack is just so cool.

Micro DAC vs other DAC: flexibility, transportability, and cost.

Soundwise on my rig: More texture, more depth, bass, mids, highs, clarity, and wider soundstage. No grainyness or harshness. Very sweet.

By flexibility I mean that you can use any amp with it, you can run on DC or AC power, USB, optical, coax.

And for ultimate transportability, the Iriver H120/140 & MicroStack Rig.

Oh, yeah, don't forget, it will improve most rig's sound quality.

Simply awesome.
eggosmile.gif

Mar 15, 2006 at 7:24 PM Post #11 of 25
Getting the DAC is a no brainer. It's THAT good.

The Amp comes up against more serious competition in the Aria/SR-71 etc, but it's such a well matched set with the DAC that you can't go wrong.

Mar 15, 2006 at 7:32 PM Post #13 of 25
that reminds me, i have to return my borrowed microDAC by the end of the week. rats, i'm going to miss the lil feller - it done did good in my home rig while my DAC-ah was out for mods!

Mar 15, 2006 at 11:35 PM Post #15 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by YngwieJMalmsteen
Good enough that I haven't seriously considered upgrading even after having heard some of the best stuff out there.

I completely agree.

No upgrading for me either, 'til I start gettin' really, really stupid with my money and wish list
very_evil_smiley.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back