How good are sony's MDR-EX71
Mar 31, 2004 at 5:30 PM Post #2 of 20
They are good (or not..) for replacing the earbud that comes with you portable, or you want a cheap isolation solution. That's it.

Mar 31, 2004 at 5:55 PM Post #3 of 20
Meh...

I like my EX-70's. I only use them when I'm on the bus, or at work. When I'm at home, it's A900 using a PIMETA all the way.

If you like bass, they're good for that. However they are really bloated in the midrange IMO. As for sound isolation, they're great. Just enough, not too much, and not too little. The highs are a little harsh sometimes. I'm sure there are better and more cost effective options out there, but also, these look pretty cool.

My only regret was buying them from the Sony Store before I even learned about this place. I spent WAY too much money on them. These buds were my best friends during college while working away on my laptop. Programming (which I hate) is so much easier with good tunes.

Last note: If all you've ever used was stock earbuds that came with your walkman or something, they will be a nice step up from that. But then you'll start wondering what else you've been missing. Ignorance is bliss.

Bottom line: There are better buds out there. It all boils down to preference and your wallet.

[EDIT] Oh and next time try to use the search feature. It comes in handy and this topic has been discussed many times before.

Mar 31, 2004 at 6:02 PM Post #4 of 20
Oh! One more important thing... These are THE MOST COMFORTABLE earbuds I have ever worn. If you will be listening for long periods of time, these babies NEVER make my ears sore like many other (slightly oversized) earbuds do.

In terms of comfort, these are at the top.

Cheers!

Mar 31, 2004 at 7:17 PM Post #5 of 20
dyolf,
I have both the older EX70 and the new EX71. Initially they appeared very detailed and exciting, but after a while I realized that are fattigating. o The EX70/71 sound harsh, the treble is "etched", the bass is strong and the mid-band is recessed.

I would not recomend the EX71 unless you're absolutely not willing to spend a little more cash. I recently got the Shure E2c and I consider them much better than the Sony in sound quality and insulation.

If you do not need the insulation then there any many more alternatives: like the Koss PortaPros, for example.

Mar 31, 2004 at 7:30 PM Post #6 of 20
These are great phones... but you don't get what you expect when you pay $50.

These phones exchange quality for functionality...

They slip in at the snap of your fingers. Just like that... and they feel really comfy inside. The quality is lacking for many people, though I don't find much of a problem with it... indiscriminante bassheads love this kind of phone.
Fix the cord, and they'll be all the functionality you would want...

But obviously, you're only paying extra to use these phones with more ease, and not for extra quality (or so I've heard)
If you find them for around $35, then you should really think about them.

As for mods... I wouldn't really know. I tried to take these phones apart without breaking them, but then decided not to. Oh well.

Apr 1, 2004 at 6:20 AM Post #9 of 20
I got them for $34 at Amazon on a whim b/c I wanted to compare them with my Etys and Shures. My hope was that they would be OK for gym use and when I take the dogs to the park and do not want to risk damage to my good canalphones. I did not like the bloated sound of these much at all and gave them to the GF after a few hours of use. It's not fair to try and compare them to the 250-500 dollar hi-end canalphones, though, so I am partly to blame.

Apr 1, 2004 at 6:46 AM Post #10 of 20
I tried them and did not like them one bit. What made it unbearable to me was the harsh, harsh treble. You just wanted to cringe every time you heard an "s" sound. Horrid. The bass was a bit boomy but that's not what turned me off. That damn sibilance was torture.

Apr 1, 2004 at 8:18 AM Post #11 of 20
i have the ex70 and i used to think they sounded pretty good...but not any more. if you never listen to anything else better, they're fine. but once you eat of the forbidden fruit, there's no turning back.

Apr 1, 2004 at 9:13 AM Post #12 of 20
Until I found Head Fi I too was satisfied with my ex71 buds...
Until I found Head Fi I didn't realise how good it could be...
Until I found Head Fi I had a bank balance...

But I think you should consider that the etymotic 4P are three times the price and about ten times the clarity... maybe more.

The thing that I find dissappointing in the Sony buds is that the mid range is so "buried" that I cannot really make out the lyrics of many songs. They are comfortable in the extreme, they are durable despite those tiny wires, and they are still the buds I use every day on my bicycle ride to work.

But when listening to music... etys all the way.

Cheers,

TonyAAA

Apr 1, 2004 at 10:04 AM Post #13 of 20
The MDR-EX71's are the most-maligned, most-hated headphone in the world. It seems that the consensus is 50/50 on whether or not they are good buds. For my purposes, they work well, as an exercise tool, but I wouldn't want to listen to them as my only headphones. They are very comfortable and stay fairly secure in the ear, which is rare for a bud. Isolation is OK, better than any other earbud, but far from perfect.

I own the ER-4P's and they put them to shame. Too bad Etys didn't have a short cord.
frown.gif

Apr 1, 2004 at 4:28 PM Post #15 of 20
I don't like them. They are too small for my ear canal and keep falling out. They also don't sound very good. If they sold for like $20, but I think they would be worthwhile.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back