How full is your ignore list?
Dec 19, 2004 at 1:36 AM Post #91 of 248
Quote:

Originally Posted by 3lusiv3
This isn't meant at anyone in particular...

Or insult people and start birthday threads to revamp your image...
wink.gif

Amicalement

Dec 19, 2004 at 7:54 AM Post #92 of 248
i wonder how many ignore lists i'm on ? : P

I hope a few, it would be an honor to be thought of or noticed that much to be deemed that important to ignore. Flattery comes in some weird forms.

Dec 19, 2004 at 8:26 AM Post #94 of 248
Quote:

Originally Posted by 3lusiv3
...there's no need to get so emotional that you want to use the ignore list.

That is when the ignore feature comes in handy. We all push each other's buttons. When two strong willed people, who are both adament about their respective positions, cannot come to an understanding, each is bound to get emotionally attached. It could be politics, religion, sex, the HD600, an amp, double blind tests, ICs, technical knowledge of the operations of an IC chip, 12AX7 tubes, vynil vs. CD vs DVD-A vs DVD-SA, whatever. For whatever reason people become emotionally attached.

Imagine a situation where you post something. Someone then calls you a "moron" or a "twit". What to do? When it happened to me at another site I just put the person on my ignore list and said so in the thread. I didn't want to argue with him least he then turn around and call me a "jerk". Certain people take delight in riling other people, they delight in personal attacks and they get pleasure out of contention. This person usually needs to let off steam and is itching for a fight. But all he really does is to make someone else miserable. He has gotten rid of his stress and transferred it to someone else. That person may then transferr it to someone else in the community, and they in turn transfer it to someone else. It's a sickness and it should not be tolerated.

Some can point to the TIO section as a possible source of contention amongst the community members. Perhaps they like staying at this one site all the time and so will get bored answering "the same old questions". They may need mental stimulation which a good discussion can provide. So they may turn to TIO. Who knows. I do know that the TIO section here is more stimulating than other tech sites I have ventured onto. Besides, you know that if you stick in any of the other threads you're bound to spend money.
biggrin.gif

Me, I'm on at least three other forums at the same time as I visit Head-Fi from time to time. I would rather not visit sites like TechIMO and then come in here looking for a fight. That is un-mature behaviour. But it is something which we must all outgrow; it happens all the time.

Dec 19, 2004 at 2:13 PM Post #95 of 248
Quote:

Originally Posted by wallijonn
Certain people take delight in riling other people, they delight in personal attacks and they get pleasure out of contention. This person usually needs to let off steam and is itching for a fight. But all he really does is to make someone else miserable. He has gotten rid of his stress and transferred it to someone else. That person may then transferr it to someone else in the community, and they in turn transfer it to someone else. It's a sickness and it should not be tolerated.

Are you reading my mind?

For the last time, unless someone ask me a direct question...
biggrin.gif
, this thread, with his apparent innocence, was the perfect occasion to attack the caracter of past victims of Head-Fi tolerance.
Writings like: «How could someone use a dreadful device as an ignore buttom is beyond me» are showing a lack of consideration for members that were hurt and simply want to protect themselves.

Useless thread of 2004?

Amicalement

Dec 19, 2004 at 4:12 PM Post #96 of 248
Quote:

Originally Posted by Genetic
Are you reading my mind?

For the last time, unless someone ask me a direct question...
biggrin.gif
, this thread, with his apparent innocence, was the perfect occasion to attack the caracter of past victims of Head-Fi tolerance.
Writings like: «How could someone use a dreadful device as an ignore buttom is beyond me» are showing a lack of consideration for members that were hurt and simply want to protect themselves.

Are you reading My Mind?

Dec 19, 2004 at 4:52 PM Post #97 of 248
I just observed a perfectly good example of why the Ignore list is a good tool.

In another thread a member who’s been here for 3 months and has 1000 or so posts. He’s on my ignore list and I notice he replies 3 times in a row to several posts in the same thread. So basically his posts make up 50% of the thread and he has nothing to contribute to the thread. So it’s either weed through his meandering posts or remove then.

Do you read all the junk mail sent to your house? Do you read all the Spam or use a Spam filter. The ignore list is nothing more than a Spam filter for Head-Fi based on the poster. Now be honest and admit there are more than a few members who really have nothing to contribute other than racking up post counts.

Mitch

Dec 19, 2004 at 7:52 PM Post #98 of 248
My ignore list was empty but I'm putting Null on it now until he gets rid of that avatar. He's really a nice guy, so someone please send me a PM when he changes the avatar back to something at least half-way normal.

Null's profile

Sorry, Null, nothing personal, I can't just handle it.
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif

Dec 19, 2004 at 8:00 PM Post #99 of 248
Quote:

Originally Posted by Earwax
My ignore list was empty but I'm putting Null on it now until he gets rid of that avatar. He's really a nice guy, so someone send me a PM when he changes the avatar back to something at least half-way normal.

Null's profile

Sorry, Null, I can't handle it.
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif

OMG! he isn't looking in good shape in that avatar
eek.gif

Dec 19, 2004 at 8:18 PM Post #101 of 248
Quote:

Originally Posted by KR...
Are you reading My Mind?

Well, if he's not, he's definately reading mine...
biggrin.gif

Dec 19, 2004 at 8:20 PM Post #102 of 248
Quote:

Originally Posted by D-EJ915
null's avatar is kind of revolting, you can turn off avatars though, you should try that earwax.

I don't want to turn off everyone's avatars. They help me identify & remember certain people quickly and thre are some that I even enjoy looking at.

Dec 19, 2004 at 9:29 PM Post #103 of 248
Earwax,

I believe Czilla went on my list because of his moving cartoon avatar.

I was asked to change my Harry Potter avatar because it affected a community member. So I changed it.

It's amazing the emotions avatars evoke.

Dec 19, 2004 at 9:31 PM Post #104 of 248
Quote:

Originally Posted by D-EJ915
null's avatar is kind of revolting, you can turn off avatars though, you should try that earwax.

I agree, I was going to PM him and tell him to get rid of that damn thing.

Dec 19, 2004 at 9:39 PM Post #105 of 248
Quote:

Originally Posted by Genetic
this thread, with his apparent innocence, was the perfect occasion to attack the character of past victims of Head-Fi tolerance.

Useless thread of 2004?

What do you mean by the former and the latter statements? Whom are you referring to ("his")? Who is attacking whom?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back