How fast have you driven/ridden?
Nov 16, 2002 at 5:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 67

N@Z

1000+ Head-Fier
This is somewhat of an irresponsible thread... but what the hey, the buzz is still within me.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Yesterday on my way home from work, treacling down the road towards the motorway, a biker on a big sports motorcycle (I forgot what it was but it was definitely a Japanese bike) started tailgaiting the rear of my car* & revving his motor. My assumption was this guy was either in a hurry to pass or wanted to have an impromptu race. I chose the former obviously.
evil_smiley.gif

The exit before the motorway involved negotiating a small round-about. The minute the road started to straighten out I gunned it in 3rd (my car has low gearing), 4th & finally 5th. Alot of whoosing & whistling later I noticed the RPM was just under 8000! I glanced quickly at my Apexi digital meter to see the actual road speed. I was doing 250kph (~155mph)! This is the fastest I've ever driven in any car. My previous was a 'mere' 235kph. I was quite astonished actually as the on paper figures states my car should only be able to do 235kph max & never tried to better it after reaching that. I suppose the road had a very slight gradient which helped on its run up & my car was slightly modifed with BLITZ airpod, Blow off valve & exhaust manifold (on standard exhaust - to save myself from tinnitus!)

Anyway, where was the biker at this time? Surprisingly not too far back after I backed off to a steady 230khp. I know that powerful modern bikes nowadays can top 170~180mph but on normal roads? This guy must have balls of steel to manage to keep up! However he did have to crouch down really low to reduce drag which looked amusing to me in his green military uniform!

As I approached my exit I slowed down to 100kph. As the biker passed he gave me his thumbs up... although it felt good
rolleyes.gif
to win the impromptu race I couldn't help admire his daring ability & honked the horn in acknowledgement.
cool.gif

Y'all be glad to know I won't be doing this on a regular basis. As far as I'm concerned anything above 200kph is just too fast anyway. Plus the road was relatively clear to do this. So don't try this at home kiddies.
evil_smiley.gif

* '98 Subaru WRX STi Type R version 4 - a mouthful yes!

P.s.
I wish I had strapped on my DigiCam to prove that I really did it but anyway don't flame poor lil ol' me for whatever reason! I'm timid. LOL!

Nov 16, 2002 at 5:26 AM Post #2 of 67
lol, that's actually pretty cool. i'm hoping to do something like that when i visit my cousin up in virginia for his graduation (he's got a civic and he's been modding it for a while now). heheh.. btw, very nice ride n@z!!!

Nov 16, 2002 at 6:01 AM Post #5 of 67
Quote:

Originally posted by Greg Freeman
Eeeee hee hee hee......
ahem..

No way man! I would never admit to doing something like that!

biggrin.gif

gerG

lol... Agree...

BTW, the fastest I've hit was 120mph. You got me beat.

Nov 16, 2002 at 6:07 AM Post #7 of 67
I've gone 115mph down I-5 in my souped up, heavily-modified, over-the-top, chest-rumbling head-snapping....erm...totally stock 94 Saturn SL1 (feel the power of a massive 1.4L engine!
wink.gif
).

And it didn't even start shaking!
biggrin.gif
Actually it behaved and handled surprisingly well, but then I-5 is a pretty straight run from the bay area to LA.

Nov 16, 2002 at 6:12 AM Post #8 of 67
This is a cool thread.I don't get to discuss car/motorcycle stuff here often.

I drag race regularly and own a Race car and have a 2002 Corvette Z06 and a Buell Motorcycle that I take to the track often.I have been as fast as 169.27MPH on the track in a car and 130.33MPH on a bike.I reserve such speeds for the track.My everyday "ghetto car" won't go over about 65mph anyway so street speeding is a big no-no.Consider going to a track,it's a lot of fun and bragging rights are always cool.

Nov 16, 2002 at 6:23 AM Post #11 of 67
I would like to say first that the speedometer in most cars is very far from accurate when you get into the higher speeds. So I am never sure how fast I'm going. Maybe newer cars are more accurate. I had a 65 Chev Impala when I was in college (1976) and I drove that car with the speedometer needle hiding away on the far right. The speedometer went to 120 and had a fair amount of space beyond that before the needle disappeared below the fascia. At the time I figured I was doing around 130mph, now I think it was probably more like 120-125.

I had the '88 Corvette up to an indicated 136 on the digital speedometer. My wife had it up to 144. But, I drove farther at my top speed than she did.

It has been hard to drive real fast since that time I hit a large rabbit at 125 in the middle of the night. That was a little un-nerving because all I saw was a flash of color then BOOM and some crashing sounds. That rabbit took out both fog lights a neon tube and severely damaged the entire front facia of a 1993 Ford Probe GT. The reason we know it was a rabbit is because we found a foot stuck to a crossmember near the middle of the car. There was blood splatters coming from the inside out on the right rear wheel. That is a lot of damage and carnage for one rabbit. Thinking about what else a guy can hit on the road at those speeds is why I don't drive that fast anymore.

Can you say cow?

I did take a motorcycle at 120mph for 25 miles on the interstate. Good thing I was drunk or I would have firghtened myself. It had a small fork mounted upright windsheild on it that had a warning not to go over some slow speed like 80mph.

Nov 16, 2002 at 6:32 AM Post #13 of 67
I stand by my earlier statement!

It is an odd thing, getting older. I now have more than one vehicle that will go in excess of 150, yet I feel no compunction to find out what the limit really is. Besides, the aluminum hood on the Mazda starts squirming at 130, and it gets annoying after a while!

btw, anybody want to buy a modified RX7 before it gets me in an awful lot of trouble???

gerG

Nov 16, 2002 at 6:53 AM Post #14 of 67
Quote:

Originally posted by Greg Freeman
I stand by my earlier statement!

It is an odd thing, getting older. I now have more than one vehicle that will go in excess of 150, yet I feel no compunction to find out what the limit really is. Besides, the aluminum hood on the Mazda starts squirming at 130, and it gets annoying after a while!

btw, anybody want to buy a modified RX7 before it gets me in an awful lot of trouble???

gerG

Does it come with snow tires?
biggrin.gif

Nov 16, 2002 at 6:58 AM Post #15 of 67
My sooped up 1969 Camaro with a loaded 350 bottomed out the speedometer at 120 with the tach reading about 4000 rpm. When I let off the gas the tach was reading about 6000rpm, which was exactly how fast my heart was beating at the time. Estimates place the speed at roughly 145 or so mph. Never did it again, and I don't even speed now. That's what happens when you're dad let's you buy a muscle car when in high school. Nearly killed myself countless time driving that thing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back