How far have you gone?
Jun 27, 2019 at 2:12 PM Post #31 of 49
Man, you have just described a typical audiophile in relationship. My first thought was we are lucky to have a great women and great audio at the same time. To keep it this way however does need some wise balancing. :)

Agreed.. I'm especially fond of hearing members whose significant others enjoy learning about this hobby.

Jun 27, 2019 at 2:23 PM Post #32 of 49
Agreed.. I'm especially fond of hearing members whose significant others enjoy learning about this hobby.
I always show for audition every new purchase to my girlfriend (not necessarily disclosing the exact price but more or less she knows).
She is always impressed and agrees on my decision and very happy with the improvement: justifying my decision.
However we are not married yet. :D

Jun 27, 2019 at 2:27 PM Post #33 of 49
Fortunately for me after 23 years of common law, we never discuss our individual purchases but rely on our better judgement within the context of mutually sustainability

Last edited:
Jun 27, 2019 at 8:46 PM Post #34 of 49
My wife puts up with me but doesn’t like headphones much but at CanJam SoCal 2017 I talked her into to going the first day and she was a trooper and knew I had a chance when she listened to the Utopias and Cavalli Liquid Tungsten with a Chord Dave and after listening she said that sucked and you don’t need it so I knew I had her she kind of understood.

Jun 29, 2019 at 8:27 AM Post #35 of 49
Separate fun money accounts we get a set amount of money per month to spend on whatever we want. If I wanted to drop 5k on a single pair of headphones or Pogs (yes that 90s game we use to play as kids) today I can if I have the money and she may look at me like I’m crazy but that’s it.

I planned the separate fun money part ahead before we got married. I knew justifying some large purchases would be difficult, this way I don’t have too.

Jul 2, 2019 at 10:36 PM Post #37 of 49
Separate fun money accounts we get a set amount of money per month to spend on whatever we want. If I wanted to drop 5k on a single pair of headphones or Pogs (yes that 90s game we use to play as kids) today I can if I have the money and she may look at me like I’m crazy but that’s it.

I planned the separate fun money part ahead before we got married. I knew justifying some large purchases would be difficult, this way I don’t have too.

That's a really great idea. Just some percentage each paycheck into each one?

Jul 3, 2019 at 12:45 AM Post #38 of 49
That's a really great idea. Just some percentage each paycheck into each one?

Set amount per month, my bank doesn't allow me to do percentages.

I have Ally which allows multiple savings/checking/money market accounts. So our checks get deposited into one savings account than at end of the month I have a large portion sent to checking automatically. A few days later so I'm sure it deposited in time just in case of bank holiday or a Sunday it will automatically distribute to various accounts. Three of which are our separate spending accounts, one for her and two for me as it's split between my spending account and a portion I'm saving for a motorcycle and gear. The use of the checking account is to bypass the 6 withdrawal limit for distribution of funds while keeping funds in the savings the longest possible to collect interest which does add up at I think 2.1% over the course of a year. I think for us it equated to a nice date every year curtosy of the bank paying us interest for a few minutes of setup time.

In fact I should start a new savings for a computer rebuild after AMD am5 socket is released so 3 years is a good time frame and $900 set aside. I'm going to do what I did last time, tell her I have expensive packages showing up so listen for the delivery. Makes life easy not having to justify my spending habits.

Last edited:
Jul 3, 2019 at 1:17 AM Post #39 of 49
Not that I have gone quite this far *yet*,this is a $13,000 setup. Doesnt sound too bad either :)

65638262_458525854944889_9076702382619885568_o.jpg

Jul 6, 2019 at 5:23 PM Post #40 of 49
I honestly do not know anymore. I had the value estimated based on original MSRP of everything and would subtract here and there based on deals. I had a number that would indicate serious spending but it is important to consider that it has taken place over a number of years.

Jul 12, 2019 at 6:13 AM Post #41 of 49
For almost 10 years(with some inactive paused years) i probably still didnt reach 10 000 $ line. Anyway back then i didnt expect i would even passed 2000 $.
So looks like i've walked some path(not really far) with this hobby.

Aug 5, 2019 at 3:33 AM Post #43 of 49
I've been using IEMs for stage monitoring and casual listening for almost 10 years now, and total spent is about 2.5 - 3k usd for IEMs/cables/amps/DACs/headphones. Which i feel is actually pretty paltry compared to some of my other bandmates.

Well i have like 15+ IEMs but they are all budget to midfi pricing. I don't have any TOTL stuff as my audiophile friends who own such stuff tell me the price they pay to get a marginal improvement from the midrange gear is not worth the money, so I'm taking them at their word. Haha maybe some of you guys can advise.

But maybe I'm having an issue of collecting too many budgetFI stuff. May need to see a psychologist for this lol.

Aug 5, 2019 at 4:28 AM Post #44 of 49
Man, you have just described a typical audiophile in relationship. My first thought was we are lucky to have a great women and great audio at the same time. To keep it this way however does need some wise balancing. :)

I had to laugh when I read this ^^

Balancing is the right word. The moments I usually have for myself on a regular base are
1) time in the early morning when she's still sleeping
2) when she's out for sports or meeting her friends
3) while she's at home cooking/baking/watching her favorite tv shows (the ones I don't like to watch with her) etc.

I often encourage her to start some new hobby or do more sports but she's generally like "I know you just want me to go out of the house more so you have more time with your headphones" :)

Aug 6, 2019 at 1:54 PM Post #45 of 49
So Far, i think i've spent a total of around 8k+ in the last 4 years of this hobby.
this includes things ive bought and sold in the past, various high end headphones/daps/dacs/amps.

This hobby is a fun great hobby, and its hard sometimes to justify spending a lot of money on a piece of equipment when people around you look at you like a nut job for wanting to buy a 1,000 - 3,000$ headphone when they use relatively cheap 100-200$ wireless noise cancelling headphones paired to their phones.

That's a hard question to answer and kind of an embarrassing one if I had to say it out loud to someone who doesn't "get it." I'd say around 10k maybe 12k. I took a dip into the full sized headphones world with ByerDynamic T1s and a Timmeline Predator Amp. The sound they kick out is hard to beat but I don't find myself sitting down and using them all that much. I'd much rather listen to my UE IEM on the go, or at the house I have a set of JM Lab loud speakers for movies and music that just do it for me. I'll probably end up selling my headphones and amp and doing something stupid with that money...it's almost like free money :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back