How far have you gone?
Jun 21, 2019 at 1:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 49

chimney189

Headphoneus Supremus
Good day everyone,
I'm just wondering if anyone is willing to share a pretty accurate sum of money that they have spent on this hobby.

For instance, after doing A LOT of adding I've come up with $22,000 - $25,000.
If you look at my signature you can see what I've come up with after all of this spending.. :p

This doesn't take into account the amount of money that I've gained back through selling (at least 35 times) and what not, but it's still pretty ridiculous to think about.

Any thoughts? Any shares? How far have you gone? Have you found your end-game? Is there ever a stopping point in your opinion? I already know that I've built up a pretty addictive behavior in this hobby and I'm totally surprised by it.. or maybe not.

What's even more ridiculous is that I started this 'hobby' in 2016... so I'm averaging around $8,500 a year. Do I feel the need to buy any longer.. not really, but every now and then I want to try out a new headphone.

What price have you paid to get those moments of complete bliss when listening to music?

Jun 21, 2019 at 1:43 PM Post #2 of 49
So Far, i think i've spent a total of around 8k+ in the last 4 years of this hobby.
this includes things ive bought and sold in the past, various high end headphones/daps/dacs/amps.

This hobby is a fun great hobby, and its hard sometimes to justify spending a lot of money on a piece of equipment when people around you look at you like a nut job for wanting to buy a 1,000 - 3,000$ headphone when they use relatively cheap 100-200$ wireless noise cancelling headphones paired to their phones.

Jun 21, 2019 at 2:46 PM Post #3 of 49
I'm pretty new here but I've been on/off this hobby a few years now. The total I've spent since I joined here are more than I have in the last few years put together. Since April, I've gotten two headphones, one DAC and AMP totalling $1400 compared to last few years of less than..$600.

I know this pales in comparison but it has more than doubled spending for me. I still plan on searching and testing for other headphones for my own ultimate answer to the hobby, it's pretty exciting to think about. Then one day have my friends/family have a go and see if I can blow their minds then maybe they'll understand..

Jun 21, 2019 at 3:20 PM Post #4 of 49
Closing in on $9k on dacs and amps alone probably close to that on headphones as well. I don’t know about complete bliss but I enjoy a lot of different setups just depends on mood and situation. Still fun to get new gear.

Jun 24, 2019 at 8:50 PM Post #7 of 49
Yeah, ignorance is bliss (until you posted this grrrr). The way i justify it is you could go out on a Saturday night and easily spend £100.

But for me it's around... £6500-7000.

Jun 24, 2019 at 9:32 PM Post #8 of 49
What I do is keep a spreadsheet with all my audio-related expenditures, along with a self-imposed budget of how much I'll allow myself to spend over the course of the year.

This may sound like a potentially disciplined approach. However, the bar I set for myself is very, very low. :D

Jun 24, 2019 at 9:40 PM Post #9 of 49
Around $35k in the past 2 months since I got back into this hobby again :D

Jun 24, 2019 at 11:42 PM Post #11 of 49
I'm pretty small-time, at only around $11k between all my headphones, DACs and amps.

Before I started selling off my mid-fi, I had enough headphones to sorta understand it. Like "Yeah, I've spend a lot of money, but look at all these headphones!" But I'm mostly down to my high-end stuff only, and the sheer quantity is a lot less.

I've gotten to the point where I'm not buying gear to upgrade, and not even so much just to try it, but in large part because I'd just like to own it. Case in point: I just bought the Sony TA-ZH1ES amp. Did I need it? No. Will it be an upgrade? Almost certainly not. Will it sound any different from my HD-DAC1? I wouldn't bet on it. But I need to own it because I have the Z1R, and they'd look really nice together. :beyersmile:

Jun 25, 2019 at 5:28 AM Post #12 of 49
Yeah, ignorance is bliss (until you posted this grrrr). The way i justify it is you could go out on a Saturday night and easily spend £100.

But for me it's around... £6500-7000.
I like to think of it this way, sure we could spend 100-200 a night going out with friends and the ladies. But!!

We could stay in, rest after a long work week, drink a dram and listen to music. After a few weekends youve paid off the value of your hifi system. Not to mention saving money on petrol and parking in the city. :X

Jun 25, 2019 at 5:31 AM Post #13 of 49
I'm pretty small-time, at only around $11k between all my headphones, DACs and amps.

Before I started selling off my mid-fi, I had enough headphones to sorta understand it. Like "Yeah, I've spend a lot of money, but look at all these headphones!" But I'm mostly down to my high-end stuff only, and the sheer quantity is a lot less.

I've gotten to the point where I'm not buying gear to upgrade, and not even so much just to try it, but in large part because I'd just like to own it. Case in point: I just bought the Sony TA-ZH1ES amp. Did I need it? No. Will it be an upgrade? Almost certainly not. Will it sound any different from my HD-DAC1? I wouldn't bet on it. But I need to own it because I have the Z1R, and they'd look really nice together. :beyersmile:
Quality over quantity my friend. Id rather have an amazing few cans and systems, than a large horde of midfi gear that wont make me want to listen to music on them.

Jun 25, 2019 at 10:28 AM Post #14 of 49
Quality over quantity my friend. Id rather have an amazing few cans and systems, than a large horde of midfi gear that wont make me want to listen to music on them.

No doubt, but it's easier to justify to myself the money I've spent when I had 4 entire shelves of gear.

Jun 25, 2019 at 11:03 AM Post #15 of 49
Guestimate $500 or so, I've broken a lot of wires to iems and headphones. Which required replacement since I don't know how to rewire headphones. So I now buy stuff with replaceable wires.

My end game was Sennheiser hd650 or so I told myself years ago. I ended up buying the hd58x instead and pairing it up with a $45 refurbished audioengine D3.

We see if this stays this way, but so far my only gripes are the sound leaking in due to the open design and too much bass with music. A EQ setting or two will probably fix that. My next upgrade will probably be a custom profile for it in True-Fi.

Don't feel too envious of me I'm a year and a half in with another 4-5years to go saving up for my motorcycle and full gear. So funds are going elsewhere.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back