HOW FAR do you travel to go to a MEET?
Feb 24, 2006 at 2:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

ken36

Good stuff!
I've never gone to a meet. I'd love to attend one. I would probably save a lot of money. Get to know a few of you guys. I figure a weekend in New york from San Antonio would cost at least $800, the price of my W5000 headphones. Probably worth it.

HOW FAR do you travel to go to a MEET?

How much do you spend?

How far do you drive?

Feb 24, 2006 at 2:58 PM Post #2 of 24
Yeah, meets are fun. I had a chance to meet some cool people and check out lots of great equipment. It has in fact saved me money. Prior to meets I used to have to buy and sell equipment to audition, now I get to try out most everything...including the legendary Orpheus!

Fortunately there are plenty of meets here in the Tri-State area (NY, NJ, CT) so the furthest I've travelled was to Bayside Queens (about 20 miles away). But I'd probably go to a meet in Boston or maybe even Montreal (just because it's a cool town). For a national meet, I may be persuaded to go to Vegas...again, based on location.

So you are coming to the NY (Inter)national meet I see. Look forward to catching up with you in a couple of months.

Feb 24, 2006 at 3:22 PM Post #4 of 24
As of right now, I can't really travel at all. High schooler without a car
tongue.gif

If someone comes up with a meet in MA I'd happily go though.
biggrin.gif

Feb 24, 2006 at 3:33 PM Post #5 of 24
Never been to one but would probably travel 500 miles and make a weekend of it. I wouldn't travel "solely" for the meet, there would be other things I'd do in the area when I was there.

Feb 24, 2006 at 4:43 PM Post #6 of 24
The farthest one I've gone is the most recent NYC meet, which was about ~200 miles one way. It was just a day trip, so I didn't spend all that much money aside from paying for gas and food.

For the last two Boston/N.E. meet, I only had to drive for 10miles.

For me, most of the expenditture has come in the form of meet-induced purchases.

Feb 24, 2006 at 8:04 PM Post #9 of 24
I've gone to about four or five Florida meets, some of which were a couple of hundred miles away, and I really enjoyed each one of them. Some of the members that I've met at these meets, and who I thereby met again and again, are one of the highlights of attending the meets. The people who I've met at the meets have been uniformly considerate of one another, and careful in handling the equipment. When I started off, I was all worried about bringing expensive equipment to meets, but I'm now much more relaxed about doing so, and confident in the care with which my equipment will be handled. It's also, as a consequence of attending meets, that I've had the chance to listen to terrific equipment, such as the HEV90. On the basis of my exprience, I urge everyone to attend Head-Fi meets, and to get to know some of the great people who are our fellow members of Head-Fi.

Feb 25, 2006 at 6:12 AM Post #11 of 24
I've only been to one meet. It was in Seattle and I live in eastern Oregon. I would say about 350 miles one way. We booked a motel room and made a weekend out of it. Driving was the only choice from my location. The closest airport is 180 miles away.
tongue.gif

Feb 25, 2006 at 6:25 AM Post #12 of 24
I wish there were more meets in Seattle. I'm really jealous of the NY guys.

I've been to two now. One was last August when Tyll was in town for the Headroom tour. That was about five miles away. The other was a mini-meet held in the building where I work, so it was only a walk down the hallway.

Due to family commitments, I'd probably only be able to attend meets that are no more than a hour drive from home.

Feb 25, 2006 at 7:06 AM Post #14 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by PinkFloyd
I wouldn't travel "solely" for the meet, there would be other things I'd do in the area when I was there.

This is the way I look at it as well. Living in the Cayman Islands, I really have no choice but to travel to go anywhere. So going to Head-Fi meets is fairly easy for me because I need to get off Island every now and then for my own sanity and to do some shopping, etc.

It's not really much more expensive to go to Chicago or New York than it is to go to Miami, especially if I have friends that I can stay with. Maybe an extra $100 for airfare, but that's about it. Of course, while I'm there, I'm also making a side trip to the Pontiac dealer to order car parts, or running to mall for clothes.

Feb 25, 2006 at 7:22 AM Post #15 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by skudmunky
As of right now, I can't really travel at all. High schooler without a car
tongue.gif

Whew, I'm not alone.

I'd go as far the skytrain around my area goes. As long as I can go back on that, I have no worries.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back